Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
08 Trailblazer 4.2
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 Trailblazer Base Model - What is the best non-factory brand of VVT Solenoid. I'm looking at Dorman but I see Holstein & NGK have that new upgraded(?) wire wrap around the screens.

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,008 Posts
ACDelco, GM Genuine, Delphi, Standard Motor Products (non T series), NAPA Echlin, or BWD (non P series).

NOTE - rockauto.com shows 2 part numbers for their VVT solenoid. One is for their Blue Streak Line and the other is for their TechSmart line. 99.9999% chance they are the same part based on some of their other parts and a telephone discussion I had with their Tech/Customer Support last fall. Go with their least expensive one,

I'm generally not a fan of Dorman products unless I have no other choice. As far as Holstein goes, I have no experience with them nor did I hear of them prior to a few months ago. NTK is a corporate cousin of NGK (as in NGK spark plugs) and Wells Vehicle Electronics (WVE). I've read more negative reviews of NGK and NTK engine management parts than I have read positive reviews. I do not know if these are relabeled WVE parts, but I and others I know have never been big fans of WVE parts

Good Luck!

Reactions: CML

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,008 Posts
I've never heard of a VVT that uses copper wire wrapping on the screens. Copper is not as strong a steel/stainless steel, and it might even be somewhat more prone to oxidation in an engine oil environment.

I do know that the better manufacturers do use copper wire in the solenoid portion of parts as copper is electrically superior than steel or aluminum wire. Most relays and solenoids use copper wire for the coils that are used to create the magnetic field that makes the relay pull in the contacts or to make the solenoid push something in or out or to twist.

·
Registered
08 Trailblazer 4.2
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never heard of a VVT that uses copper wire wrapping on the screens. Copper is not as strong a steel/stainless steel, and it might even be somewhat more prone to oxidation in an engine oil environment.

I do know that the better manufacturers do use copper wire in the solenoid portion of parts as copper is electrically superior than steel or aluminum wire. Most relays and solenoids use copper wire for the coils that are used to create the magnetic field that makes the relay pull in the contacts or to make the solenoid push something in or out or to twist.
Maybe I read that part incorrectly & they are steel wire wrapped over the screens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts