Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm under my truck today lookin at removing the muffler in favor of a flowmaster, when i noticed a section of piping that looks to be compressed/squished. is this normal??

i borrowed a pic from elsewhere on the forum to show where i'm talkin bout.:D in the red circled area

while i'm here, what size is the stock exhaust. need to know for when i order the muffler and tip

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Stock V8 exhaust is 3" in/out. As for that bend, the stock exhausts on our rides is really crimped (looked like a triangle almost) where it goes over the rear axle. Its normal, thats why lots of people go aftermarket with mandrel bend piping vs GMs crimped stuff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's pretty much the only bad part of the factory set up (which is why you don't get much gains from an exhaust on these). If you're going with the flowmaster, be prepared for it to resonate.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
471 Posts
That smashed down pipe is normal, and the exhaust pipe is 3 inch before the muffler and 2 3/4 after. Just get a 3 inch muffler & tip. Magnaflow, Stainless Works, and JBA have catbacks that are reasonable and eliminate the smashed pipe

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
142 Posts
That smashed down pipe is normal, and the exhaust pipe is 3 inch before the muffler and 2 3/4 after. Just get a 3 inch muffler & tip. Magnaflow, Stainless Works, and JBA have catbacks that are reasonable and eliminate the smashed pipe

Eliminate it how? By cutting it out and welding a mandrel bent pipe?

·
Registered
2009 chevy other
1 Posts
It was common practice in the past to have the manufacturer crush bend their exhaust. Mandrel bending from the factory is typical of high end sports cars. It has recently started trickling down into the higher end and performance models of newer cars today. IE the Camaro, Mustang and so on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts