Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i would like to share one picture of my leaking BDS Shock:

The shocks are about 2 years old and have lasted only 30 thousand KM.
Im thinking of installing the z71 avalanche shocks (which came with the coils from ebay), but maybe i decide to go with some proflex shocks or some old man emu.. Anybody know how long the shocks are when the are extended and when they are compressed?

Karsten

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sorry, I can't find the dimensions online, but I can measure an extra set I have. Have you sent that picture to BDS to see if they can do a warranty replacement? I heard one member in the US got a free replacement.

Shock and Stabilizer Cylinders Limited Lifetime Warranty

BDS Suspension Co. warrants to the original retail purchaser that its Limited Lifetime Warrantyshock and stabilizer cylinders are free from defects in material and workmanship for so long as they own the vehicle. Excluded from this warranty are the finish of the product and mounting bushings. Defects in material and workmanship do not include such things as dented cylinders or bent rods caused by obvious side impact, rust, worn or deformed bushings. A shock absorber is a wear item and over time will experience diminished damping resistance due to normal component wear. This is not a defect in material or workmanship and is therefore not warrantable.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks roadie, if you could take the measurements please? :hail:
No i havent sent this picture to them, the picture is only 4 hours old..
I have bought my suspension kit from an ebay reseller, but i´ll sent BDS the information tomorrow!

I have inspected the underbody of my car today and have found also a leaking seal from the rear differential. So a little work has to be done!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
I had one of mine go after a year. They told me there was nothing they could do for me...not even a discount on a new pair. My stock shocks lasted longer than the BDS ones.

If you change it yourself...make sure you don't do it in your brother in laws newly cemented garage. The boot might be filled with water like mine was and leave a nice clean splash on the ground.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Both of my sons work in the 4x4 industry and they tel me that BDS has a lifetime warranty on most of their suspension pieces. Not sure about shocks, but I've seen the warranty in action for springs and mounts.

I'd check with BDS or a BDS dealer.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
they have a lifetime warranty on parts...but not on wear and tear such as a shock(although they told me they would cover it up the 1st year) Since mine was purchased a little over a year, they would not replace it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I´ll try on monday to get in contact with bds and after that i´ll see what i am doing.

Today i have measured the original shock which where on my Trailblazer first.
The total length extended is from eye bushing to eye bushing 59cm which is 23.23 Inches.
The total length compressed is from eye to eye 37,5cm which is 14.76 Inches.
The upper eye bushing has a 12.8 mm hole and the bushing is 43 mm which is
1.69 Inches. The lower eye bushing has also a 12.8 mm hole and the bushing is 64mm which is 2.52 Inches.

I haven´t measured the BDS shocks so far, but i have measured the Z71 shocks which came with the springs. The hole in the eye bushings is 9/16 which is 14,29 mm. The bushings are 42 mm which is 1.65 Inches. The extended length is from eye to eye 60,6 mm which is 23.86 Inches. The compressed length is from eye to eye 40,6 mm which is 15.98 Inches.
By comparing these data between the original shocks an the Z71 shocks (which means compressed and extended) i can see that the articulation with the original shocks is a little better, but they are a little shorter (1.6 cm which is 0.63 Inches). After that all i have looked to the Rancho Website which told me the same by comparing all the data for Trailblazers and Tahoes or Avalanches. But i have found maybe another interesting part for us. The rear shocks for the 98-03 Dodge Durango have exact the same upper eye bushings like the original Trailblazer ones, and the lower eye bushings are the same like the above ones, which means the bolt is 12mm and the bushing needs some additional spacers. But they are 24Inch extended an 15.125 compressed. And from that point i can look to some original Bilsteins for the Durango.. Maybe just a thought..
So any thoughts on other Products or on the Math?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Good work! That's exactly the kind of data we need to broaden our options.

Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had emailed with BDS today, and that´s what they have written so far:

"Thank you for sending us a picture, and I apologize for any inconvenience this failure has caused you. I would need you to purchase a new shock and send us the old one to review it for warranty. When we receive the old shock and determine it is a warranty we will credit you for the cost of the shock. I would usually recommend you to see your local BDS distributor for warranty, it would be an easier and quicker process, but we have distributors in Russia and Italy only. Let me know what you would like to do."

I have answered them that i´ll sent the shock back to them after the 20th of April, because i´m in my Holidays in the meentime.

I´ll see what kind of shock i´m using in the future. I have get in contact thru a local company here, which fabricates/ installs parts on cars for offroad rallye cars. Here is a link from the build up for a Landcruiser:
http://www.daktec.de/Toyota_Rallye_Evo.html

I´ll think they are doing a good business, so hopefully they can do some "intersting" things to my Trailblazer.. :D

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I´ll see what kind of shock i´m using in the future. I have get in contact thru a local company here, which fabricates/ installs parts on cars for offroad rallye cars. Here is a link from the build up for a Landcruiser:
http://www.daktec.de/Toyota_Rallye_Evo.html

I´ll think they are doing a good business, so hopefully they can do some "intersting" things to my Trailblazer.. :D
Here's the same page translated into english... compliments of google...
http://translate.google.com/transla....daktec.de/Toyota_Rallye_Evo.html&sl=de&tl=en

You should definitely have them play doctor to your TB; they certainly do look like they know what they're doing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts