Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just replaced the battery today. Wife got stranded at toys r us so i had to run to jump her. Its the same old factory ac delco. I went to sears to get a diehard and i about **** my pants on prices of a battery. cost me $96 for a 698cca battery.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Five years on the OEM battery is extraordinary. You're lucky it didn't strand her when you weren't available to come running. $96 isn't so totally out of line if you're buying it under duress instead of when they have a sale. And really - it's only $20 a year. Lots less than you spend on gas, tires, stamps, and Charmin. :cool:

Note to everybody else - it you're running more than four years on a battery - you must be feelin' lucky.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also wanted to comment on stupid the setup is on the crossbar over the battery and the plastic battery cover. Cant take the battery out unless you remove the crossbar then it has a bracket that goes down the back of the battery and has a screw. then you can remove the plastic cover until you remove the - and + terminals then finally the battery hold down tab.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
It definitely is a PITA. But once every 6 years isn't so bad. I changed mine in January, only because I could see it had started to leak. When I took the cover off I also saw it had the famous bulge.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
also wanted to comment on stupid the setup is on the crossbar over the battery and the plastic battery cover. Cant take the battery out unless you remove the crossbar then it has a bracket that goes down the back of the battery and has a screw. then you can remove the plastic cover until you remove the - and + terminals then finally the battery hold down tab.
while I agree it is a pain; i see in your sig you also have a W-body; ever replaced the battery on a 3.1L W-body; I had to chage one on my 1998 Lumina a couple years back when i had that car; and talk about a PITA:hopeless

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
It definitely is a PITA. But once every 6 years isn't so bad. I changed mine in January, only because I could see it had started to leak. When I took the cover off I also saw it had the famous bulge.
True, but you are one of the lucky few that went that long. Most of us barely made 3 years. Like Roadie said - 5 years for these batteries IS indeed "extraordinary"

Personally I think if there wasn't a cover on the battery, there would be more batteries replaced sooner. If someone hadn't posted on here about their battery and the infamous bulging, I wouldn't have thought to replace mine.
Mine was starting the vehicle just great, and would hold 12.6 - 12.7 volts overnight - no problem but that bulge made me "as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs".

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also after i pulled the battery i noticed that the sides were bulging which is an indicator that battery is on its way out.

Yes i got a grand prix but with the 3.8l, its a pain too cause you got to remove the engine crossbar support plus turn the battery on its side in order to pull it out and remove it. At least its not like some of the Chrysler where its tucked in the front fender and you have to remove the tire to access the panel door.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
my battery just stopped working.........

died .... completely one day

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
What lesson is there to be learned? Was it old or young when it went to meet its maker in that great battery factory in the sky?
Shall we all pause for a moment of silence?
:D

Or maybe a chorus of "Another One Bites the Dust" would be in order!:dielaugh:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bow your heads too

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
True, but you are one of the lucky few that went that long. Most of us barely made 3 years. Like Roadie said - 5 years for these batteries IS indeed "extraordinary"

Personally I think if there wasn't a cover on the battery, there would be more batteries replaced sooner. If someone hadn't posted on here about their battery and the infamous bulging, I wouldn't have thought to replace mine.
Mine was starting the vehicle just great, and would hold 12.6 - 12.7 volts overnight - no problem but that bulge made me "as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs".
I completely agree on both counts. Although what really got me to get a new battery was the acid dripping under the battery tray. If it wasn't for the protection the cover provides, I'd have left it off.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I was about a month shy of 4 years on my stock battery, mom's car needed a new one so my dad said he'd buy one for the TB and her car at Costco. Got Optima RedTops, been great since Dec 05!

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
You think a Trailblazer battery is hard? Try replacing a battery in an Impala SS (06+). Trailblazers are easy!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You think a Trailblazer battery is hard? Try replacing a battery in an Impala SS (06+). Trailblazers are easy!
didnt say it was hard. just a stupid set up of removing several things to remove that battery

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
What lesson is there to be learned? Was it old or young when it went to meet its maker in that great battery factory in the sky?
it was old....and it had five years on it.....

but it did leave me stranded in the middle of iL

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
didnt say it was hard. just a stupid set up of removing several things to remove that battery
This seems to be a growing trend with automakers. My best guess would be to make sure the battery stays put in a rollover so that you dont have acid flying everywhere. This also plays true because of getting hit in an intersection on the front left corner post. :m2:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Makes them harder to steal.:tiphat Moving the fender brace and removing the air filter beats taking off a front wheel like on some cars. The neighbor's new car has the battery somewhere in the rear end. I've seen batteries under back seat cushions and under the driver's floor boards. Real wooden boards BTW in a Ford.:D "The good old days".:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts