Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've seen a few threads about these things, more specifically if the HVAC memory is saved when using one. Well, today I got to put one to the test in an Envoy.

The HVAC, radio, drivers seat memory, and obd2 readiness (among other things) were retained after the battery was unhooked for close to 45 minutes.

After the repair, I didn't get much time with the Envoy to see if the idle had been effected. This is another thing that I'd like to have an answer to, so if I get another in the shop and can verify it, I'll follow up in this thread.

The unit used was the e-z red MS4000.

Also, the crappy pic is supposed to show it plugged into the obd2 port.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
If all the settings were saved, then the idle wouldn't be affected.

There's probably a much cheaper way to do this. The key is not to interrupt the 12v to the PCM. If it is not interrupted, there won't be any loss of settings. I don't think you have to do it through the OBD2 port, though that is convenient.

I suspect you could use one of those battery chargers that plugs into the cigarette lighter/accessory port just as easily.

Or you could just hook a jumper battery to the positive post in the fuse block where the cable hooks in-assuming it is accessible--and to a good ground.

But in most situations it isn't necessary, because the battery must be disconnected for a long time--certainly more than a few minutes--before the settings are erased.

So in your situation, where the battery was disconnected for 45 minutes, it was a very useful tool. But I suspect that for most owners, it would be far too expensive a tool for the benefit provided.

Any holes in my logic anybody?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
After the repair, I didn't get much time with the Envoy to see if the idle had been effected. This is another thing that I'd like to have an answer to, so if I get another in the shop and can verify it, I'll follow up in this thread.
We use a memory saver equipped with a cigarette lighter plug and adapter with aligator clips at work for the same reasons and for the stupid Honda radio lockout.

We have done many TV batteries and drain tests with it and have never had an idle issue afterwards. If I remember correctly, ours puts out 8-9V for up to 2 hours.

For stores who's memory savers have failed the replacedment is similar to the one you have but some did come out faulty at first and fried some wiring. Sucked real big for those stores.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If all the settings were saved, then the idle wouldn't be affected.
We have done many TV batteries and drain tests with it and have never had an idle issue afterwards. If I remember correctly, ours puts out 8-9V for up to 2 hours.
You guys were right (not that I doubted you:D).

Had another Envoy today with a batt issue, same deal as before but afterwards I took it for a ride and the idle was fine. So yay battery saver.

We use a memory saver equipped with a cigarette lighter plug and adapter with aligator clips at work for the same reasons and for the stupid Honda radio lockout.
I've heard the other guys mention that some of the vw/audis have to have a saver used or else you'd have to do an etc relearn. I don't know how involved that is, but it can't be as bad as having to get a Honda radio code, at least from our local dealer. The best is when the battery dies, the customer gets a jump and brings it into the shop, and then gets hissy at us over the code retrieval process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts