Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently running a kenwood KAC 7204 amp and 2 10" KFC-W2511 woofers. when i have my door open my interior lights will flicker and the battery gauge goes from about 14 to 12 up to 16 then repeats the process.. what do you think i should do?.. the headlights dont dim or the dash lights// i just hate watching the battery gauge go up and down knowning that im probably killing my alt.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
16. that doesnt sound right. go to an auto store and check out the battery.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,251 Posts
You could always add the big 3, those wires will help the current flow much better. My gauge drops to high 12s and back up to 15+, I don't think it's a problem unless your lights are dimming a lot. Get the battery tested anyways though, you don't want to be left stranded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you need to install a cap before powering the amp
i was told caps kill the alternaotr worse than anything. read up on them. ill have to attempt the big 3 soon and get a new battery.. i think ill just get an optima.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i am currently running a kenwood KAC 7204 amp and 2 10" KFC-W2511 woofers. when i have my door open my interior lights will flicker and the battery gauge goes from about 14 to 12 up to 16 then repeats the process.. what do you think i should do?...
umm... turn the volume down?

the headlights dont dim or the dash lights// i just hate watching the battery gauge go up and down knowning that im probably killing my alt.
believe me, you are hurting something far more valuable than your alternator.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
when i have my door open my interior lights will flicker and the battery gauge goes from about 14 to 12 up to 16 then repeats the process.. what do you think i should do?.. the headlights dont dim or the dash lights// i just hate watching the battery gauge go up and down knowning that im probably killing my alt.
First thing, I wouldn't rely on that gauge too much...I would get an accurate reading at the battery with a dmm with the system on and off. Second, how long has the amp been installed? Third, did you hook the amp up directly to the battery, and, if so, did you replace the positive battery terminal?

its stock battery.. original actually. ha.. do you think changing it would help?
\
At 6 years, it would not be a bad idea to replace it.

no, that is not an option.
This.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First thing, I wouldn't rely on that gauge too much...I would get an accurate reading at the battery with a dmm with the system on and off. Second, how long has the amp been installed? Third, did you hook the amp up directly to the battery, and, if so, did you replace the positive battery terminal?

At 6 years, it would not be a bad idea to replace it.

This.
i just istalled it last night actually. Ill try just getting a new battery in a few days and see if that helps. ill also get it tested.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
7 year old battery and you live in Maine...I say yes replace just as preventative. I just replaced my 04 original batt here in MN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been reading the TSBs and ran across one that says the lights can flicker even under stock load. maybe it did this before and the extra draw intensifys it?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
first of all what gauge wire do u have? 2nd changing the big 3 is not a bad idea,
new battery very good idea, capacitors i run 3 farad and have no probs with 500 rms

i run 1 decka intimidator batt built for electronics

1 - 16 of 16 Posts