Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all of the other threads about battery drain problems and this doesn't fit.
2002 LTZ - 138K miles - 4wd. Battery is 4-5 years old. Came out one morning and the battery was almost dead. Interior lights barely on, but not enough to start it. Jumped it with my booster pack and it fired right up. The jump start did pop on my 4WD Service light and 4WD doesn't work. (Tried the #8 fuse pull, etc. and nothing worked). I read all of those threads and I am going to replace the TCCM.

Anyway, I figured the battery was going south, so I drove the TB for a while and then threw it on a charger at work. Didn't take much to charge it, so the alternator is definitely working (Showing a shade over 14v on the voltmeter). After work, I stopped by the local NAPA and had them load test it. At first he couldn't get a good connection on his tester. I cleaned the terminals (They were pretty clean anyway) and he was finally able to test it. It tested just fine. OK, so I'm thinking I have a parasitic drain somewhere.
Yesterday, my 2 sons and I were going to track down the culprit. Disconnected the positive and put my Fluke meter in line and and it is only showing a draw of around 30-40mV. Open the door and interior lights go on and it pulls 2-3 amps. So the test should be valid. Anyway, I checked all lights, under-hood, glovebox, ect. and nothing is on. Listened for anything that could be running. I'm at a loss on this.

Could the battery be bad anyway? What makes me suspicious is he had a hard time getting it to load test, and the terminals weren't dirty at all.
Sorry for being so long winded, but needed to explain.

What say ye, gurus?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,283 Posts
A battery that is 4-5 years old is probably on its way out, especially in the climate you live in (winters are torture on batteries). The 30-40 ma current draw you are getting is good. Suck it up and go for a new battery before old man winter sets in.

Don't forget to clean your throttle body if you haven't done that for awhile. Disconnecting the battery resets the PCM to factory defaults.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
A battery that is 4-5 years old is probably on its way out, especially in the climate you live in (winters are torture on batteries). The 30-40 ma current draw you are getting is good. Suck it up and go for a new battery before old man winter sets in.

Don't forget to clean your throttle body if you haven't done that for awhile. Disconnecting the battery resets the PCM to factory defaults.
:iagree:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably a good reminder on the throttle body. I do have some cleaner in the barn. Tomorrow will be battery day after work. I sure hope this is it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another issue!

A follow-up plus a new problem:

Threw in a new NAPA Premium battery and all seems to be fine on the starting issue.

I got a chance to change the TCCM today with my sons help. Prior to the "Service 4wd" light staying on, the 4wd worked just fine in all modes, and the rotary switch lit up fine. After the TCCM went out, the rotary switch still lit up when starting the vehicle, but that was it.

Changed out the TCCM today, and left the #8 fuse out while I did it. Got everything done and put the fuse back in, and wow, the "Service 4WD" light went away. However, I still have no 4wd. The rotary switch lights DO NOT illuminate at all, even when starting the vehicle and it goes through it's system check. I rotated it back and forth 30-40 times to clean the contacts.

This is getting old. Fix one problem and generate another. Now what? Is the rotary 4wd switch bad? Am I missing something? It looks like I have to take the dash apart to get at that switch, and I have huge hands that might not get in those tight spaces.

Any way I can confirm that it is indeed the switch?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,283 Posts
Is the TCCM you installed a new unit? If so, I believe it has to be programmed by the dealer. You should have picked one up a salvage yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced switch now, too.

Got a new 4wd selector switch and replaced it today. No lights light up, even on start-up. None of the positions work, either. It is in 2wd, and now we are forecast to get up to 8" of snow tonight! Yea me!

The cliff notes:
Battery goes dead - Service 4wd light comes on and I have no 4wd. New battery, and replaced TCCM from 2004 TB. Service 4wd light goes out, but still no 4wd. Replaced 4wd selector switch today with a new one, and still no 4wd, no lights illuminate on the switch, even at start up.

I had perfectly good 4wd before this all started with the dead battery.
No codes stored or pending with my OBDII reader.

Can someone shed some light on what next?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would anything show up in a megadollar scanner? No codes are showing up in my Autel 619 scanner, but a buddy has a Snap-on scanner at work that I might get a few minutes of time with.

I am at a loss here.

ANYONE???

(Please don't make me take it to a garage....)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Would anything show up in a megadollar scanner? No codes are showing up in my Autel 619 scanner, but a buddy has a Snap-on scanner at work that I might get a few minutes of time with.

I am at a loss here.

ANYONE???

(Please don't make me take it to a garage....)
I don't have your answer, without pulling codes and diagnosing.

But here's the rub.

You've installed a used TCCM, that "USED part" could be the problem, then you bought a new switch and installed it.

You're buying new and used parts, not knowing the culprit, with certainty.

If you know of a reputable shop (they're out there), you may end up saving some bucks by not installing parts that are not defective.

Just another outlook to your current problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have your answer, without pulling codes and diagnosing.

But here's the rub.

You've installed a used TCCM, that "USED part" could be the problem, then you bought a new switch and installed it.

You're buying new and used parts, not knowing the culprit, with certainty.

If you know of a reputable shop (they're out there), you may end up saving some bucks by not installing parts that are not defective.

Just another outlook to your current problem.
Thanks, robertgee. I am going to take it to my buddys and have him scan it and see if it comes up with anything. The TCCM I threw in there did make the 4WD Service light go out, but I guess that doesn't mean it is 100% functional.

Thank you

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks, robertgee. I am going to take it to my buddys and have him scan it and see if it comes up with anything. The TCCM I threw in there did make the 4WD Service light go out, but I guess that doesn't mean it is 100% functional.

Thank you
Best of luck, getting the bugger figured out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a small note if you're gonna amp out your car battery. To search for a parasitic drain. I would strongly recommend using the ground leg to ground wire instead of the positive. It's far more forgiving if you touch the wrong thing. 50 ma should be ideal range anything over 90ma definite component sucking battery. Fix: amp your battery as discussed pull 1 fuse at a time till I find the amp drops to the 50ma range . So the fuse should point to the bad component. Make sure you disconnect the battery ground for 20 minutes before testing amp loads. To allow time for all smart systems to shut down. Also open rear driver side door and use a clamp to keep. Switch closed so you can have access to under seat fuse box. Same process as the under hood fuse box trouble shooting 1 fuse at a time. Yes folks relays as well. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts