1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Envoy
(acknowledging I have a old battery)
Battery died, a gentelman parked next to me gave me a jump, nothing happened...only some of the lights on my radio illuminated. We waited for it to take a charge, still nothing....
30 mins later another person gave me a jump, got it to turn over..2nd try Started Up-but No interior lights, no radio, no tail lights. The only thing the car does is; drive, head lights, brake lights and turn signal.
Some one told me the first guy who gave me a jump could have put the cables on wrong and shorted my computer...
Can I reset my computer?
Any advise?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Sounds like someone hooked up the jumper cables to the terminals on the underhood fuseblock, instead of the battery, and blew your megafuse. You seem to have the classic symptoms of it. When that fuse goes, none of the items powered in your rear underseat fuse block get power.

Edit: Welcome to the group BTW :tiphat

**borrowed from the Roadie**

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You are EXTREMELY LUCKY that idiot only cost you the $8 a new megafuse will run you.

He COULD have taken out the $500-800 computer.

Next time, please read the Owner's Manual or get some competent advice, and YOU put the jumper cables on the proper spot on YOUR vehicle instead of delegating it to strangers who won't accept responsibility for the damage they could cause. :yes:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
My battery died and I jumped it with my starter pack and everything but the radio works. Any ideas?

Radio fuse under rear seat is good, interiors work, rear cig plug works. It is an aftermarket Alpine radio, but dont remember an inline fuse to it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Those starter packs that plug into the cig socket scare me. Basically backfeeding the electrical system, through thinner wires, to start a car... no thanks :no:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Was a junp start box. Hooked directly to battery.

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
Most aftermarkets (in my experience) have an inline fuse. It may be worth opening the dash to check and see. It certainly sounds like that is the issue.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
33 Posts
wait wait wait-- they make jump boxes, that start the car through a cigarette lighter? Aren't those usually fused to maybe 15 amps, and a laptop + gps could easily over do it?
This sounds like an april fools joke! I'd never heard of such a thing. But if you're serious, I'm scared! :)

Just chiming in to say that I empathize with the OP, the first time I tried to jump start my car I did the EXACT same thing. There's an inviting 1/4" hot red post right there, easy to put a clamp on, and goes quickly to the tiny little screw-in terminal off the battery, too little space, too little metal to grip besides.

Jump failed, I bought a new battery, found that I had no a/c, no power windows, no dome lights, no radio.... hahahaha.

Actually, where IS the proper hot to jump off of? Or do you need to get a little 8 or 10mm socket and remove the hot from the battery, jump it, and while it's still running off the alternator, reconnect the hot to the battery?
If there's a more accessible hot, I'd like to know.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
wait wait wait-- they make jump boxes, that start the car through a cigarette lighter? Aren't those usually fused to maybe 15 amps, and a laptop + gps could easily over do it?
This sounds like an april fools joke! I'd never heard of such a thing. But if you're serious, I'm scared! :)
You scare too easily. :D What he's mentioning is a trickle charge cable that's current limited to 10A or so, and are sold to connect a small battery or to another vehicle's accessory outlet, and will SLOWLY and safely send a small current to the discharged battery. It might take 10 minutes or more of being connected for the receiving battery to get enough charge to start the dead vehicle.

That sort of gadget is marketed to clueless folks who can't even identify the battery under the hood to hook up jumper cables, but they can (usually) be trusted to locate their accessory outlet. It's not a direct high current jump where the good vehicle can instantly start the dead one.
Actually, where IS the proper hot to jump off of?
The battery. If the stupid box is in the way, remove it. Or cut a larger access hole for the positive terminal. The ground side should be jumped to the lifting bracket, away from the battery. Check the Owner's Manual. It's discussed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
When you replaced the radio did you use an interface to keep the chimes?
Yes. Now that you say that I did hear chimes after pulling fuse and reinstalling.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Well its fixed, the issue was....

Hell I dont know. Sunday it didnt work again, but after driving over to BrtonMD's place I was telling him how the radio didnt work and hit the power button for the 100th time and it pops on and startds playing. I guess the radio was afrid Barton would weld a skidplate to it if it didnt act right. It still works perfect, so I cant complain, but cant offer any help to anyone this may happen to in the future.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
767 Posts
Well its fixed, the issue was....

Hell I dont know. Sunday it didnt work again, but after driving over to BrtonMD's place I was telling him how the radio didnt work and hit the power button for the 100th time and it pops on and startds playing. I guess the radio was afrid Barton would weld a skidplate to it if it didnt act right. It still works perfect, so I cant complain, but cant offer any help to anyone this may happen to in the future.
That is what we call PFM

Pure F*@?in Magic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts