Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery on our '05 TB started going dead after sitting for a few hours. First thought a bad battery cell then I caught what sounded like a vacuum cleaner running in the intake. I researched on here and then founf the fuse for the punp and pulled it. NO MORE DEAD BATTERY! Now the pump wants to run all the time when the fuse is put in though and this morning it finally did kick the check engine light. I've pulled the relay for the pump but it still runs with the fuse in even when the relay is out. Any ideas with help is appreciated.

Keith

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
115 Posts
Which relay did you pull? If it's the air pump under the driver's seat check the gray relay in front of it to see if it's got water in it that could be shorting the relay closed.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Yes. The pump relay is under the car just in front of the pump, exposed to all the garbage on the road. The relay you pulled was probably #55 under the hood, which is for the solenoid only.

If you truly pulled the correct relay under the car, then the wiring for the relay has a short between the battery input and the output to the pump. Dig deeper for wire damage.

Good news is the car's perfectly drivable without the pump fuse. The check engine light will cause you to fail an emissions test, but the pump is only used on start-up to kick-start the O2 sensors to get the PCM into closed loop mode sooner.

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disconnected the relay under the drivers seat and put the fuse back in and the pump didn't run. I went and got a new relay and put it in and so far it seems normal except the check engine light won't go off. I suppose I have to get something to clear the code or take it in to be cleared or will it clear itself if we drive it enough?

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
115 Posts
Disconnected the relay under the drivers seat and put the fuse back in and the pump didn't run. I went and got a new relay and put it in and so far it seems normal except the check engine light won't go off. I suppose I have to get something to clear the code or take it in to be cleared or will it clear itself if we drive it enough?
Also make sure that you put the relay under the hood back properly. If you put it in the same way the one next to it is you have to flip it around.

There is a picture posted here. 44 and 55 are 180 degrees to each other.

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Thanks for the great info!!:):)
Just had the same problem of battery going dead. Charged battery and could hear the air pump running with everything off. Pulled the fuse and it quit.Found the relay for air pump and replaced it. No more pump running all the time!!!!:woohoo:
Bill

· Registered
21 Posts
It’ll clear itself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.