Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my '02 TB with 110,000 miles on it, is in the shop getting the Service Engine Code looked at and the guy tells me that I need new lower Ball Joints. I'm thinking, what's he doing looking at the ball joints when he's working on a P0340 Cam Sensor code issue? Anywho, he says $540.00 to do both lower ball joints. I told him to hold off on that for now. I've done ball joints before and unless Chevy has designed some sort of sneaky trick I can't see that being even close to a fair price. Dropped $170.00 for him to find the cause of the P0340 code and replace the defective sensor so I'm thinking this isn't the guy I want working on my vehicle anyhow.

Now to the questions:

- I thought you should change both upper and lower ball joints at the same time or is that old school thinking?

- How hard is this project really gonna be?

- Any super secret tools I need?

- Any super secret insider tips?

Currently the truck rides okay and doesn't make any rattling noise (aside from the typical Chevy rattling noises)

Maybe with GM closing 1100 dealerships I might maybe consider trading this in on a new Silverado. Too bad the TB is discontinued or I would look at a new '09 TB.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,214 Posts
I've been looking at ball joints, having seen my dust shields looking like they're ready to split in half......poor rubber compound combined with Mid-Atlantic salt and that's what happens. The parts themselves are NOT super expensive on our trucks, they run between $30-$60 for the part, depending on brand and if you need upper or lower. (On-line pricing). My boots are still intact, barely, and I've been contemplating installing new dust shields.....but the same amount of work is involved and I may just replace the units themselves. If you can turn wrenches and know what you're doing, its not too bad a job to do yourself. (Just remember to have the alignment checked afterwards).

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
I say go for it upper and lowers it is your baby and why not have even wear. They work together as a team so if one goes bad it starts pounding on the other so GIT R DONE :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.