Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the plunge and decided to get a roof rack. I thought especially with TECORE coming up, I could use some extra storage. I also wanted to be able to transport some fuel... since I couldn't add that on my tire carrier, I decided a roof rack would be the best bet.

So I took a look at all the options available. I wanted something that wouldn't affect gas mileage too much, wasn't too heavy, yet was strong enough to handle a big load.

What I found was the Baja Rack.

I believe I have the first on a TB. So I figured I'd write up a short review.

It's a fully welded aluminum construction. So it's light and will not rattle. Plus, the rack is powdercoated, and not painted, which should give it some added durability. I picked mine up from Sierra Expeditions (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/).

Baja Rack offers two sizes (http://www.bajarack.com/products.html). The Mule, which I got, and the MegaMule, which I felt was just a bit too big for the TB.

The rear has two tabs for rear facing lights. I'll stick some lights in there eventually. I'm still looking for some small wide angle flood lights... any suggestions?

The front faring is also aluminum, and not a plastic sheet.

I used the stock crossbars for the rack, which actually worked very well with the Baja Rack mounting system.

Here are my Wedco gas cans in place, just so you get an idea. If any of you are wanting gas cans, the Wedco supply is running out... pick up some of the last ones at https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/.

I'm also hoping to get a bike rack mounted up there. Although, I'm still unsure how that will all work out.

As always, I appreciate the feedback! :D

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
That looks good:thumbsup: I actually like that more than my roof rack. How are you thinking of mounting a bike rack on there? Just wondering. I hope those crossbars hold up.. the other local guy that has a lifted tb ended up trading me a tail light for one of my cross bars. His rack is attached to the crossbars and they started to give way, or atleast one of them did. Never the less glad to see you joined the roof rack club :yes:

I found the flood lights that are the same size as the 4 we both have infront of the racks. I think I got them at northern tool for like $17-$18 They are really bright and light up everything behind me when I turn them on. Plus its nice to have something to get those pesky people who tailgate you off your rear bumper.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That is absolutely PERFECT! Now I'm jealous. That takes a bit of doing, so congrats!

I second the testimonial for Sierra Expeditions. I got my fridge through them, Pico chairs, and bunches of other stuff.

For rear facing floods, I recommend the very heavy duty Maxxima 4.5" 6X1W LED work lights from Adventure Trailers. I had to return mine unused because of the layoff a week after I got them, but they were perfect for camp setup without draining the battery with 10-20 Amps of draw like other kinds of lamps. There was a ExPo special when they first listed them. Probably not anymore.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For rear facing floods, I recommend the very heavy duty Maxxima 4.5" 6X1W LED work lights from Adventure Trailers
They look very nice! However, I'm not sure about the price. $120 is a bit high for flood lights. Since I'll be getting 4, I think it's out of my short-term range. I'll keep them in mind though.

Short term, I've got my eye on Hella Ultra Beam FF Worklamps for $45 each.

How are you thinking of mounting a bike rack on there? Just wondering.
I'm hoping to adapt something like this to work:

I hope those crossbars hold up.. the other local guy that has a lifted tb ended up trading me a tail light for one of my cross bars. His rack is attached to the crossbars and they started to give way, or atleast one of them did.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on them. If need be, I'll replace them with solid bars.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
237 Posts
Nice Rack James! The Hella Lights are a good Choice, many People here are using them. Im answering this thread from my iphone, so i keep it short.
Your Trailblazer is awesome, keep up the good ideas!
Karsten

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Nice Rack James!
Now there's a phrase I thought I would never see on THIS site. :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Something you're not telling us James?

Lord, I apologize, and please be with the starvin’ pygmies down there in New Guinea. Amen

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Ive been looking for a roof rack all morning, i like the style of the Baja, nice choice, looks really good James. Do you think there is enough room to stick a spare tire up there, cause thats what i am looking for?

That bike mount should work, just weld a plate on the baja rack somewhere towards the front, bolt or weld the mount to the plate. Should be stable enough, thats what we did on a friends truck.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Bub, the usable inside dimensions are 37" x 41". So unless you have 38" tires and aren't telling us... you'll be fine. They sell a spare tire accessory, awning brackets (not pictured below), hi-lift holder, light tabs, and shovel/ax holders.

However... one accessory that they don't sell is a bike rack... (how did you like that segue, eh?)

So, I fashioned one up for about $35 using a DeltaCycle Bike Hitch (below), some U bolts, and some rubber strips. Very simple.

The result:

I'll probably play around with it's location a bit, but once I'm happy with a location, I may end up bolting it through the crossbar. I guess I'll see how this holds up for now. :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bub, the usable inside dimensions are 37" x 41". So unless you have 38" tires and aren't telling us
Well James you know i did a Solid Axle Swap with leafsprings with a descent lift and stuffed in some 38in tires and i didnt want to break the news to you fellas. :bonk: Oh wait that that was all in my dream i had last night:sadcry::hissy:

I am 100% sure im going to follow your lead on the baja rack. very nice set-up. You have a step ladder to reach up there to get your bike down or what, that would be my only issue, I built my own hitch mount for my bike. And when i get a baja rack i am going to have to fab up a bike mount to for my Felt mountain bike.
:eek:fftopic: I wish it would stop raining here and dry up so i can do some trail riding on the bike.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am 100% sure im going to follow your lead on the baja rack. very nice set-up. You have a step ladder to reach up there to get your bike down or what, that would be my only issue, I built my own hitch mount for my bike. And when i get a baja rack i am going to have to fab up a bike mount to for my Felt mountain bike.
Hah, no I just stand on my wheel, or my rear bumper. It will be easier after the rock sliders are installed... :x :D

I've never heard of Felt before. Mine's a Giant. Is yours full suspension too?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I wish it were full suspension, just Dart1 shocks up front, if you look it up its the Felt Q620. Awesome mountain bike, I love the shape of the frame and angle of the front fork.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry i forgot to include, Giant makes great bikes, very dependable, a buddy of mine has one and loves it.

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Where did ya get it?? If I may ask?? I was gonna build one, but money doesn't grow on trees, and we just bought appliances for the new house (which we moved into this morning and afternoon!!!:woohoo:) And how much?? Link, please sir??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Kasten, I keep seeing the little tiny picture of a tire on your rear hatch...

I never saw a thread about this... did I somehow miss it? :undecided
No you haven´t missed anything, car is at the fabrication store and get´s some old man emu shocks in the rear. After that there wil be a different tire gate (more like the roadie ones , but not the hitchgate). That picture in my Avatar was only from taking the measurements.. So until now it is only a teaser, i know! :D
But i would not hijack this Thread, it all comes later after my holidays in a new thread about the modifications.
Karsten

·
Registered
237 Posts
Now there's a phrase I thought I would never see on THIS site. :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Something you're not telling us James?

Lord, I apologize, and please be with the starvin’ pygmies down there in New Guinea. Amen
Master rhoda you know it is not about the size, it is how he is doing these things.. :D

But after reading what you have written my face was like :eek:
So i had to correct this in to "Roof Rack":bonk:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts