Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i recently purchased the 02 trailblazer in my profile and i noticed right off the bad that it had a howling noise that got quieter / louder with speed, first i thought it was the tire but my friend who works at a GM Dealership as a tech and is ASE Master Certified told me that it wasent a tire howl, but it was rather my wheel bearing going bad

he raised the truck on jacks and tested the wheel for play but it did not have any play whatsoever, so im wondering if the wheel bearing is making noise, yet it does not have any play in it, its still safe to drive on correct? And it only gets bad when it reaches the point where their is play in the wheel? right now it just makes noise but the wheels still firm, thanks guys

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
t's dried out and may or may not lock up one day or even break apart and drive like total crap if heated enough. I would say get it done ASAP.

You can do the parking lot circles test to help further diagnose the bearing. Make a couple turns in each directions and listen to see which way it gets louder. Turning left means the right bearing is to blame and turning right means the left bearing is bad. If that don't help rotate the front tires side to side and see if the noise follows. If it does then its the tire if not than it's the bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts