Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the day i've regretted for a long time. It seems that my transmission is toast, and for a car with just over 135k, I am pretty disappointed. But, this may be an opportunity!

I drive a 2003 TrailBlazer LTZ, 4.2l, 4x4. I've done some looking, and it appears that the engines in the TrailBlazers are the atlas series engines, and so are the engines in the Chevy Colorados.
It appears that the TrailBlazers use the Atlas LL8 engine, while the Colorado uses the L52. By this logic, shouldn't the bolt patterns and such be the same? Could I take a 5 speed 4x4 trans out of a Colorado with the 3.5 and a manual 4x4 trans and slap that in my TrailBlazer?
Do you know if anyone has done this? Yes, I am aware there is huge PCM programming that needs to be done, yes I need to work out a clutch/pedal mount, yes I probably have to change driveline lengths. Besides the annoying things that can be done, are there any things that would keep this from happening? Would my front drive shaft still go through my oil pan and maintain current location, would my transfer case bolt up, how do they compare in size? etc.

Im open to any and all feedback.

·
Registered
2006 gmc trailblazer_ls
177 Posts
Anything can be done. I would imagine you would be close with the colorado trans and if it doesnt bolt up could always get adpater plate made. Me personally I think it would be awesome but the amount of time and money would be the issue. Because these never offered and manual i think it would be the bigger issue. Other option is look to see if you could adapt a nv3500 or 4500. Either way this would be cool and probably the only one id imagine.

·
Registered
2006 gmc trailblazer_ls
177 Posts
And yes your axle disconnect would i imagine stay the same. It just has the front cv axles running from it. You probably def need a shorter driveshaft or lengthened. And as long as you could get factory tansfer case to mount to trans it in all honesty it should work. The pcm will be the issue for sure.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
68 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. If your willing to undertake a manual swap into a vehicle that was never designed to have a manual, then you may be able to rebuild your 4L60E. They are not that complicated, and there are a ton of YouTube videos on the process. I'm gonna be doing a 4L60E rebuild on mine as soon as uncle Sam get me my refund.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts