Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I when to towed my Camper home Sunday and had a hell of a time. The Stabilitrak kept kicking in and putting on the brakes. I hit the button to turn the Stabilitrak off, but the light would still periodically blink off and I'd feel drag on the TV. I pulled off and looked for any issues and saw none. When I tried to pull back on the highway the Stabilitrak engaged the brakes and created a dangerous situation. So pulled off again and check the bearing on the TT. They were cool. I looked at my weight distribution hitch and it was connected just fine. I had checked the TT brakes twice by using the manual slide and they were functioning. I checked the plug in between the TV and TT. When I lifted the 7 prone plug lid the cord just fell. I tried to re-seat the plug twice before it was firm enough to stay without the support of the cover. After all of this the vehicle towed just fine.

Does the Trailvoy computer controlling the Stabilitrak have to somehow sense that a TT is connected before it will appropriately compensate for the TT's affects on the stability and ride of the Trailvoy? I never want a repeat of this incident!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I can't imagine the Stabilitrak system monitoring the trailer connector. If the connector is slightly ajar, you might have had intermittent spikes coming from the wiring that crosstalked into the control module.

Do you use the battery recharge wire (constant 12V) on the 7-pin trailer connector? If the battery was discharged, that could have put more current on that line, increasing the energy of the sparks.

Next time, if it ever happens again, I would recommend pulling the fuse on the brake control system. Unless it clears up as you had happen.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
44 Posts
From his description, it sounds like the cord was simply loose and was playing havoc with the sensors. Although one would figure the connection should be snug, it's nothing that some duct tape can't resolve in the future.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the power connector connected. I doubt electricity was arcing.

Duct tape! There is nothing that can't be fixed with the proper and generous application of duct tape!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
hmmm... It would make sense that if the trailer is swaying and pushing the vehicle around, the yaw sensors feel you moving the opposite way you're steering to counter it, and kick the stabilitrac on...

It could be that they do check for connection to tell it how sensitive to be with the stabilitrac...

To check, try pulling the trailer (somewhere safe, like a big empty parking lot) with the connector totally disconnected...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
341 Posts
There is a little "tang" on the outlet cover that locks into another tang on the trailer plug - this prevents the plug from wobbling around and making a bad connection

... At least that's what just happened to me with a u-haul trailer and their adapter. I didn't know about it until it got dark and noticed no lites ... When I checked, the adapter was attached at the outlet but not making good connection ... That's when I noticed the tangs

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
When I lifted the tang the connector fell right out. I had to wiggle and push a bit to get a firmer seat.
Good but as SSportWagon mentioned, did the tab on the underside of the wiring cover on the TB latch over the wiring adapter for the trailer? I didnt do it the first time we towed with my 02 TB and had weird turn signal or brake light functions, I reseated it and pushed it in HARD (and up a little bit) to get the clip/tab to engage the wiring harness. Never had a problem since.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
36 Posts
The TB I have has Stable Trac and I hate it when it snows and gets slippery because mine has the limited slip diff also and makes it hard to steer-(just wants to go straight). I found a fuse for the Stable Trac (I think in the panel under the left rear seat). Pulled the fuse and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You mentioned that you have a load distributing hitch. With these it is entirely possible to crank on too much "equalization". If you do this, the rear end of the tow vehicle gets too light and you can get wheel slip, particularly under acceleration or over bumps. This is what would cause Stabilitrac to cut in since it is fundamentally looking for wheel slip. It's hard to determine exactly how much to crank it up, but you could try this: measure the height from the hitch to the ground before you connectd the trailer. Measure it again after you put it on the ball. Now crank on the bars until you get it about half way between the two measurements. That should keep you out of trouble.:p

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wondering if perhaps I have cranked up too much on the rear end. The measurement from all the fender to the ground are within a fraction of an inch of each other. I'll have to adjust my weight distribution hitch, take some new measurements, and see if the adjustment doesn't solve my problem.

Thanks for the advise!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts