Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Traliblazer and I'm getting a bad odor out of my AC vents whenever the AC is on or off. I've gone thru 3 Fram air filters it goes for a while but comes back. I'm starting to think it's something else. I was reading some net searches regarding this problem, before join trailvoy. and they suggested using Wurth ac & heating system treatment in the air vents and air intake....But I dont know! :confused: reading some threads here, the smell could be something else. Please help! Wife is driving me crazy, and the smell to.
:thx

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Changing the air filter won't stop and odor inside your vehicle. It's to clean the air being mixed with gas before burning in the engine.

Two questions:
1) What does it smell like?
2) Has the smell always been there, or did it just start?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
the trailblazer does not have a cabin filter.
that filter youre replacing is for the engine.

Air for the cabin is sucked in at the base of the windshield.
theres a little valley down where the wipers mechanism comes out of the body.
Check for dead critter here...
Also-- if its musty--- you need to make sure theres no debris clogging up the outlet drain pipe for the AC...
if this gets clogged... the moisture builds up and you get mold/mildew growing in your AC.

Another cause- may be that a mouse or something has died in the AC system.

Whenever I use my AC--- before I get to my destination-- maybe a mile before-- I turn off AC-- and just let the fan circulate air...

You may have to run HOT air for a while to help dry the parts if there is mold in there...

theres a thread on here- on what the outlet looks like----
If you run the AC- and youre not seeing too much dripping from the passenger side--- then its most likely clogged.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
the trailblazer does not have a cabin filter.
that filter youre replacing is for the engine.

Air for the cabin is sucked in at the base of the windshield.
theres a little valley down where the wipers mechanism comes out of the body.
Check for dead critter here...
Also-- if its musty--- you need to make sure theres no debris clogging up the outlet drain pipe for the AC...
if this gets clogged... the moisture builds up and you get mold/mildew growing in your AC.

Another cause- may be that a mouse or something has died in the AC system.

Whenever I use my AC--- before I get to my destination-- maybe a mile before-- I turn off AC-- and just let the fan circulate air...

You may have to run HOT air for a while to help dry the parts if there is mold in there...

theres a thread on here- on what the outlet looks like----
If you run the AC- and youre not seeing too much dripping from the passenger side--- then its most likely clogged.
:iagree: probably mold buildup i had that same problem when i first got my Rainier now i just turn AC/off for a mile or 2 before i get to my destination and no more smell

·
Registered
196 Posts
Run your AC on HIGH for a few minutes once in a while....

Sounds weird, but it has alleviated the stink in my mom's car, my wife's and mine.... I guess it helps to blow all the gunk off the condenser.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
204 Posts
bad ac smell

most likely mold build up on the evaporator fins. Turn off the a AC before you get to your destination and run fan on high to help dry moisture build up on the evaporator coil. Can also try using the AC on regular setting and not on MAX setting all of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts