Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently installed a new head unit with DVD and am adding a backup camera. I have the camera installed, including powering the camera from the reverse lights and the RCA cord is connected to my head unit. I now need to tap into the reverse light wire from the head unit so that it knows when to switch to the camera when I am in reverse. Where is the best (easiest) place to tap into this wire? I have an 05 Envoy XL with 4.2L.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
59 Posts
For me it was on the pac rp5gm11 harness adapter i used. Had all the connections i needed to connect a nav head unit with reverse camera.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it all worked out. I needed to tap into the reverse wire in two different locations. I powered the camera from the reverse light bulb wire on the drivers side rear light. Then, I used a test light to find the reverse light at the front of the vehicle. The wiring diagram told me that the wire is light green, but when I opened up the harness, there were 4 light green wires. I turned the key to the start position and then put the car in reverse. With the test light I found the right wire in about 2 minutes. The wiring harness is located conveniently right underneath the dash by the stereo. The reason for tapping into the reverse light in this location is to tell the stereo when I shift into reverse.

Overall a fun project with very few frustrating moments.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
105 Posts
Where did you run the cable from the camera to the head unit? Did you go up through the liftgate harness into the body .... then where? along the top inside the headliner trim, or did you go back down to the floor and run it under carpet / sillplates?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts