Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my wife an 03 TB LTZ about 3 mos. ago. She really loves it. So far I have had to replace the starter, alternator, cam position sensor and solenoid among other things. Nothing major, has been kind of fun getting to know it. The other day I noticed that her back up lights weren't working. Checked the fuses, one under back seat and the other under the hood. Looked good so I replaced the bulbs to be sure they were good. No luck. Tonight I unlocked it with the FOB, the exterior lighting came on and the back up lights came on with it. Put it in reverse to check them and they did not come on. Any ideas. Is there a sensor in the shifter or tranny that might be bad. Looking for ideas on where the problem might be. Not a malor issue but rather annoying. Bothers my wife more than me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could that possibly affect the the indicator light on the dash. The PRND21 is not showing what gear you are in. More annoying than anything else. Is that gear select switch in the under side of the steering column? I am seeing alot about shift solenids etc. that are by the tranny filter. Also, what is your(s) opinion on a tranny fluid drain and new filter. This TB sat for a year or two. The fluid looks and smells really good and shifts nice. That leads me to believe that he replaced all the fluids. Not sure though. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ding ding ding. We have a winner. Tell them what they’ve won Vanna.
ding ding ding. We have a winner. Tell them what they’ve won Vanna.
Smartass! That gave me a good chuckle this morning. Maybe another dumb question. Is it located on the bottom side of steering wheel? I also saw a thread that said it is mounted to the tranny housing. Just want to go after the correct one. Thanks again for the laugh.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
286 Posts
Just one of the many services we offer here at Trailvoy.

Position switch is on the left side of the transmission. The backup lights are controlled by the body control module. There are two different inputs to the BCM for ‘doors are unlocked‘ and ‘vehicle is in reverse’. You’ve lost the connection somewhere in the circuit for the ‘vehicle is in reverse’ scenario. The fact that the PRNDL (say: prindle... like spindle with a pr...) doesn’t change either with gear selection is a clue that you’re going in the right direction.

Here’s the wiring diagram. You’ve likely got a bad selector switch or a wire in the circuit is broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your feedback and the wiring diagram. Doing some body work on my Tahoe so that is taking up the garage (live in MN). Should be done in a couple of days. Then I can pull in the TB. I will let you know what I find. Really appreciate your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts