Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a baby seat into my TBSS and I have to use the Latch and teather system. My questions is what to do with the seat Flaps?? According to the GM owners manual you leave the up and on top of the seat.. But it looks like the teather clips are going to cut into the corners of the flaps.. What did you guys do?? I don't want to damage the leater in my TBSS..

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
1,504 Posts
I placed the car seat on top of a neatly folded towel just enough to cover the entire base of the car seat. About the flaps, I just left it open upwards in between the back rest and base of car seat. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
340 Posts
:iagree:

Ah, the sacrifices we make for our kids...:D

I also used a large beach towel and placed that on the seat and flap before I installed the car seat using the Latch tie-downs. It helps protect the front part of the seat, but where the straps that are connected to the tie-downs - they dig into the seat when you tighten the straps (as you should do to properly install the car seat), especially the back corner. I look at it this way, would you rather have your little one safe and secure, knowing that the car seat he/she is in is strapped down properly, or do you leave some slack in the straps to save the leather in your SS? For me it is a no-brainer, I put my full weight on the car seat and tighten the straps as tight as I can get it.

There is hope though on the horizon, though - once your baby boy/girl is old enough and heavy enough, you can put them in a booster seat and just buckle them in with the regular seat belt. ;)

·
Registered
2007 chevy
75 Posts
I left the flap up against the seat back. You can also buy a cover for the seat at Walmart. It is think vinyl and protects the leather from the child seat and small spills. It goes between the straps and the seat too.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I used a the black vinyl cover on the seat that was bought for us. I left the flap up and used the baby seat back to pin it into place. tighten the straps up and all is good. I just didn't want to damage the leather. I am happy with leather cause everything wipes off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
your best bet now is look and see when babies r us or target or the local police are holding a car seat check and bring your truck through that. They will make sure the seat is in correctly. It is only to move less then one inch in either direction. The last thing you want is something to happen to your child because you were worried about the leather. Run the heat and the leather will loosen and then you can really tighten done on the seat. I have leather in my wife's Pacifica and I did this and everything went perfectly. Now my daughter is in a booster and the leather is perfect. Good luck.:tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
yeah I have something similar too, I have them on both sides one for my 3 year old and one for my 1 year old, however I dont' allow them to eat in my truck or van anyway. but the flaps that your talking about is such a pain in the neck to deal with when using the teather links. I had to flap them up so I can get to it, luckely I only use them for my youngest.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
Nice to know I am not the only one with a towel on my seats...lol

Now i just have to go buy some black towels...lol

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
:iagree:

Ah, the sacrifices we make for our kids...:D

I also used a large beach towel and placed that on the seat and flap before I installed the car seat using the Latch tie-downs. It helps protect the front part of the seat, but where the straps that are connected to the tie-downs - they dig into the seat when you tighten the straps (as you should do to properly install the car seat), especially the back corner. I look at it this way, would you rather have your little one safe and secure, knowing that the car seat he/she is in is strapped down properly, or do you leave some slack in the straps to save the leather in your SS? For me it is a no-brainer, I put my full weight on the car seat and tighten the straps as tight as I can get it.

There is hope though on the horizon, though - once your baby boy/girl is old enough and heavy enough, you can put them in a booster seat and just buckle them in with the regular seat belt. ;)
:iagree:Towel method here too. And I too put my knee in the seat with my entire weight and shorten the clips until I think my fingers are going to break trying to get the da** things clipped in. Luckily I'm past all that now. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have question for everyone that has put there own car seat in there TB or Envoy. Where in the back seat did you place it? Middle or next to the one of the doors? I had my local fire department do both of mine and they place in the middle. Do you know how hard it is to get to them in the middle? I will take some pics tomorrow and congrats PANGGOY.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,140 Posts
I have question for everyone that has put there own car seat in there TB or Envoy. Where in the back seat did you place it? Middle or next to the one of the doors? I had my local fire department do both of mine and they place in the middle. Do you know how hard it is to get to them in the middle? I will take some pics tomorrow and congrats PANGGOY.
thanks. will wait for your pics :D

one more thing, if a car seat is that hard to install, do i have to install and uninstall it everytime i take the baby in/out?

sorry for the stupid questions guys, im a first time dad :yes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Depend on the car seat you have. It should have a base that the seat that child is in would attach to. I just had my first about ..... oh gosh she is 15months now. Anyways, I just bought another base for each car then you use the same seat for both cars. Saves time and hassle. I tell the TB feels like it has alot of room back there, but when it comes to standing on your head in the back seat you tend to think twice. :bonk:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
That's correct. The infant "carriers" have a base that is installed in the car, then all you do is unlatch it and lift it out. Yes, IMO, the middle seat is the safest if you are only transporting one child. I always went with the middle. I know it's hard to reach in there and get them out. Also, with the rear facing infant seats, they take a lot of room and it will fit better in the middle. I don't have any pics, but if someone doesn't get some out here for you, I'll take some of my nephew this weekend and post. My son is now in a booster.

My best advice, make sure they are secure. Tight as you can get them in the seat. We'd almost have to know what kind of seat you have to give you the most accurate advice. Also, make sure the straps are on your baby securely, if I remember right, you should be able to slip two fingers under the straps and make sure they are positioned correctly. Congrats to both!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts