Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along as about 45 mph today when I felt a little "tug" in the forward motion and then a "tick tick tick" sound that sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side. I started to slow down as it sounded like it was getting worse but couldn't tell with the window up. Then a short grinding noise followed by a huge clunk/bang where it felt like someone crammed on the brakes. It was in AWD (2004 LS). I put it in 2wd and it seems to work fine. I went onto a little dirt road and tried in AWD and 4WD and it makes a terrible noise but I didn't go over 5mph. I switch it back to 2WD and it still makes the noise unless I stop and back up....then it drives fine. Hub assembly, CV joint, Front Dif??????? Any input is appreciated. I am getting ready to tear into it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got into it.....the front dif is toast. shavings and chunks. Looks like a bearing cooked apart and some kind of shaft broken in there. Ring gear looks Ok though?!?!?!?! Is it better to rebuild or call it and get a replacement? We just got a newer rig and are going to sell this one but I want it in good operating (but not expensive) working order for a new owner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know of a cheap/accessible resource for rebuild instructions/manual for the front dif?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
103K. We only put 15k on it since we bought it so I don't know the history. ONly checked the fluids when we bought it and all looked fine.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
119 Posts
It was prolly never changed. Ive seen alot of posts of people asking if they should replace or repair. Most say to replace. Can find them at local junk yard or ebay for $500

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I have to pull the motor but everything else in the front end! I almost got it. I will crack it open and see what is broke and decide from there. If Ring/Pin are good I should be OK rebuilding? Otherwise, I need new i think. I was wondering if there was a R&R section on the front dif. Don't really want to buy a $50 manual just for that.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
119 Posts
Yeah my bad... I was reading another post while responding and mistakenly typed u had to pull motor and thought i edited it quick enough but i guess not.:bonk:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the other link. Doesn't sound good for me. I'd bet I'm going to end up getting a replacement. The dilemma is how much to spend vs value of the car as we are selling it but I want to fix it, not pass on a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeehah!!! only a bear/seal kit and I should be good to go. Gears look great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone got any pointers on reassembly of the dif???? Do I reuse the same shim or get another....how do I know which thickness I need? I don't have a rebuild manual for this differential. I really need some guidance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts