Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MMmk

some of you have asked if i could do a write up on the new LED's i put in my TB, Soooo Here you go

Tools Needed

5mm Drill
Tape Measure
Marker
Super Glue
Solder
Solder Gun
LED's+ Resistors(however many you need)
Wire
And maybe some double side tape

I also Sprayed a few layers of clear coat to help seal it.

First Off, Remove the Plastic side molding thing that the lights are going to be put in. Just pull it off! it kinda slides up. Watch out for the door seal, it might get in the way.

Once its off, your next step is to measure out exactly where you want the holes. I measured from the Underside of it because there are various marks and things you can use as reference points to get accurate measurements.
Drill the holes but put something underneath the plastic board(2x4 or some type of wood) that way it leaves a nicer hole with less of a Bur to clean up.

I have 6 on the front boards and 4 in the back. Try your best to drill the holes so they line up straight or else it will look weird. Another thing i did was i marked where i was going to drill the holes with white Sharpie and stood back to make sure it was all even.

Next Step.
Choose which side the power wires are going to be coming out from and
Stick the LED's in the holes(NO GLUE YET)They should fit Flush with the plastic also making sure that they run Positive to negative to positive +-+-+- the wires with the blue thing on the wire are positive. The thing with BLUE LED's is that you can only run 3 in a series circuit, so each set of 3 has its own power wire.

After they are all positioned where you want them Pull one out at a time and dab a little super glue on each one, not to much or else it might leak through onto the plastic.

Once the glue dries Bend the Wires of each LED so they are touching and solder them together(you might need some wire if they dont reach each other). Remember only Groups of Three for Blue LED's Different colors have different amounts, Red is 4.

Here is a basic diagram i did

you can also use the double sided tape to hold down the wires if you want.

Ok. Next step make sure all the spots where you soldered are good and strong !! mine came loose the next day, and making sure all the wires are on good and not in the way of the tabs. if you have a 12V power supply test it out to make sure its all going good. you can also use a 9V battery.

Once its all good to go, pop it back in, again watch out for the seal as it gets in the way. now. which ever end you made the wires come out of you will need to pull up the rubber seal that goes around the door and slide the + and - Wires under there and Press the seal back on. it goes back on perfectly over the wires.

Now where you hook the wires up to is your choice. I have a whole system of wires all over my car that run under the seats and dash to power all of my lights so i just tapped into the closest one and VWALLA !!!!

Hit me up with any questions you have or if you think i missed anything.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no underglow :weird:

Haha,Hold on !, Im getting there..... maybe next Month :)

Still not to sure on the Laws about that here in Cali.....
I know it cant be on while driving, but not sure if just sitting is ok..

If someone who knows(For Sure !!) Please could you fill me in. Thx

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
is there a reason why the led's are exposed? some of it is insulated but not all of it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there a reason why the led's are exposed? some of it is insulated but not all of it.
r u tlking bout the red and black wires ?
if so, they were just wires i had lying around. the LED's were just the "Bulbs" without any wire or resistors pre added.

And about your Underglow
do u have any more pics of it or a Thread on it with some info?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts

i tried to circle the exposed wire in red, didnt turn out too well.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
the underglow is just streetglow, got it off crutchfield for $100.

i went with neon cause it cant stand hot spots, that you get with LED's.

honestly, i dont use it very much. just when im hanging out in a parking lot or doing 90 on the highway passing some hot chicks or ricers, or see another person with them on. :D

i know blue is very illegal, pretty much everywhere, cause it is suppose to be only used by emergency vehicles. Red, white, and amber are "more" legal than the other colors. and some cops just hate green.

some pics:

*i think the gold series, which is like 3 inches is longer, is too long.
*also, cant stand it when you can see the tubes, looks very unprofessional :x

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thx for the pics.

how did u get the back one on ? the spare tire is in the way..

I dont think u get "hot spots" if you use the defused LED's(flat head)

i was thinking of just getting 2 LONG led strips and 2 shorter ones....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i havn't done my underglow reseach in a while, but iirc they are less diffused, but still have hot spots, i could be wrong though.

i dont have my truck close to me at the moment, but i think i put it in front of the spare tire, a little futher up than i want but not really anywhere to to put it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thx for the info

I wasn't trying to question your hot spot comment, just wondering cus i have LED strips under my seats which are about half a foot in the high and no Spots at all. Hmmmm...... do you know the length on them ?

Also just found this on the internet

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25400.htm

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
where did u get the leds for the moldong? and how much did they cost ?
Ebay...Radioshack......local Electronics store......maybe even Walmart

Most of these places sell LEDs

anywhere from 32c a piece to $2

google also brings up a whole bunch of websites

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
this is all i have, and its not that great.

i would take a new shot, but i dont have a camera with me here in college. i might be able to borrow one....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts