1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the module from here of course
http://avidperformance.net/products.html

Getting the flex-a-lite 292 from amazon for $380 free shipping.
I know I could have went cheaper ways but again. my daughter mainly drives this SUV and I need to pay a lil $$$$ to ensure reliability!
$150 cheaper is NOT worth the call of "this light was on and I didn't notice and the car wont start well it was making a funny noise then stalled and this smoke was coming from all over it stunk, what should I do?"

I will try and take some pics of the install, I tend to forget because I am always in a hurry. I'll try and get at least one picture because I'm really interested on what will be pointed out as being cheesy in the engine compartment. haha...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
286 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you and how the performance is. I am definitely still interested in an Efan conversion just want to see who sticks around for awhile with a good product.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Avid doesnt have pics but I am assuming this harness and PCM module is plug and play?
I think it is, I haven't got it yet to read the installation notes and the website installation page doesn't work as intended.

A few people have posted on this installation, I dont recall reading any hardships on the install of it, except some lose crimped wires that he soldered, which I will most likely do too.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you and how the performance is. I am definitely still interested in an Efan conversion just want to see who sticks around for awhile with a good product.
:iagree: Hopefully you can take some pics and let us know how well it installs. Definately a future mod consideration.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,240 Posts
Avid doesnt have pics but I am assuming this harness and PCM module is plug and play?
I have one of the beta modules. It requires plugging a connector into the oem fan connector, a ground wire, and splicing into the pcm harness. The directions I received were not that clear about the pcm splice and after seeing how the terminals were crimped on, I decided against using it. I spent the $100 instead to buy the credits needed for my tuner to turn off the codes that caused the cel to come on using HPTuners. Plus, now I can have him tune my truck. No reasonable offer refused for the beta module.........

Mark

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have the module now, in a hurry to send it out Avid forgot to give me the installation instructions. So instead of asking for them from him, I am going to throw it out and put tape over the CEL light. :duh:

So anyway when I get these instructions and some time I will get this installed and some pics up etc.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so where are these pics?
I have everything but have not had the time yet.
It does not seem all that complicated I just need to be able to pry the vehicle away from my daughter for a Saturday or Sunday.

here is a picture of the Module tightly sealed ;)

The only difficult thing it seems is splicing into a wire going to the PCM.

Attachments

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
After waiting for 2 weeks and emailing the crap out of Kyle at AVID I finally got the instructions which are at the best very vague and confusing. You will never get a return call from this guy (and I have made plenty) and I am still waiting for answers to the questions I asked last week via email. Then I find out I don't even need this controller for my TB......I talked to The guys at PCM 4 less and it turns out that the '08 and newer don't even have the plug in fan clutch. So if you're an '08 or newer you can just wire up the fans and you're set.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK............
I bought this flexalite fan and the avid module back in July...
due to more important things in life they have been holding up the wall.....
Well anyhow, the clutch fan decided to crap out making this more important than life......

I'll start off with saying, I took no pictures due to I spent 5 hours in the mind set of killing someone due to the clutch nut would not break loose and the parts stores around here are clueless.....
I had figured getting this Nut to break loose would be the hardest part of this project, too bad I was wrong......
I originally rented the GM tool set from advance auto. which is free, these are the BIG steel bars that supposedly break this nut free with ease.....
Due to these tools are given out for people to use, the wrench for the bolt was warped and just slipped off the bolt, so no big deal I got a pipe wrench and a 3 foot steel tube for leverage..... all good except that the bigger thing that is supposed to hold the pulley kept slipping off.... and the pulley kept slipping on the belts.....
So per the car manual i read if it slips get a strap wrench..... UH 2 hours of driving around nobody sells these but homedepot and they are too small anyhow.....
so after 5 hours of trying all sorts of tools to stop the pulley from spinning, I tried the gm tool again with pipe wrench and got it to break loose......
of course after getting that loose, the haynes book points out there is a tool called a pin wrench that would have worked... GRRR going to kill someone....
So anyhow I get this nut loose and off the shaft......
Now here is the HELL that was not foreseen...
This is an 02 Envoy with Transmission Cooler lines, it is a radiator with the IN TUBE located 1/4 way down the top of the radiator sticking out about 2 inches......
This shroud has the transmission lines jammed into it and holding it forward, BUT you need to push it toward the engine 2inches to clear the radiator piece sticking out..... BUT you cant do that due to the clutch is hitting the engine pulley......
GRRR..... had to unbolt the clutch from the fan so it would dangle and let me push that part 2inches forward....had to pry it loose from the fan with a screwdriver and smacking it with a wrench.....
I had to muscle the damn shroud out with the clutch fan conveniently getting in the way at every damn chance.
Finally with this shroud out, I started getting the Avid Module installed, which was pretty simple to do..... unbolt the first wire module uplug it, take off its plastic cover, spray the inside down with carb cleaner to get all the dirt out of it..... and OMG there are NUMBERS in there next to the wires, locate wire 51 which is by itself at the top....count up from 49....
of course I didnt do what Avid wants me to do, instead I burned 1/4 inch of the wires insulation and pinched it off leaving some exposed wires. DONT DO this if you never have done this before as too much heat will ruin the copper wires. They will become brittle and not conduct electricity....
Anyhow, now that I had a section exposed, fluxed it and wrapped the avid wire around it and solder bathed it, then wrapped it in electrical tape and put the electrical connector back together bolted it back on.
I snaked the avid wire around the cable tube so it cant be tugged and snaked it back to the module.
Connected up the ground to the chassy ground which is the same as the battery as its a cable 8 inches from the negative of the battery.

NOW MORE HELL.....
I get out the flexalite fan, check out the wires and such, I had already read these instructions numerous times in July..... FYI in the installation notes, in BOLD letters they say WARNING blah blah connect big black wire to negative of the fans.... THAT IS WRONG, U do NOT connect the Black wire to the fans blacks. This error is quite obvious as you read along it already told you drill holes and feed YELLOW and PURPLE through for the fans, so it should have already been obvious that warning was wrong. ALSO the schematics show you it is wrong.
ANYHOW, I pick up the fan and go to put it into the car because I am worried it cant fit past the Radiator top intake which as noted is sticking out 2 inches. As I start putting the fan in, I realized WTF......... This fan can NEVER fit this car, the transmission cooler lines were flush against the old fan housing..... So I was ready to snap this damn thing in half. Nobody mentioned anything about transmission lines being in the way.
So Being irate, I grabbed the transmission lines and start bending them backward out of the way to see if could bend them enough.
Now the fan sort of fit, BUT another problem, these Flexalite fans are sticking outside the shroud so the left fan fins are hitting the transmission lines.
I proceeded to try and get these transmission lines to bend more. The farthest right one I was able to bend enough to get it out of the way, HOWEVER the left one enters right at the bottom of the radiator and I could not bend it anymore, so the left fans fins were hitting it......
I yanked the fan out and got my wire cutters and clipped the corners off all the fins on the left fan as only the corners were hitting the transmission line. Will this make the fan unbalanced if I didnt clip the same amount.... I DONT CARE!!! so now they were not hitting the transmission lines anymore.....
GREAT! NOT.................. I go to the next step and check out installing the top bracket that will hold the fan shroud up..... UH the radiators top intake which is sticking out 2 inches is in the WAY. The bracket is straight across and cant fit...... so I scratched the area where the bracket was hitting this intake of the radiator. And cut this section out of the bracket. NOW it fits....
The fan really doesnt even need a bracket because the transmission cooling lines are holding it against the radiator and up!
But I mounted it to this bracket anyhow. it already was totally compressed on the right side to the radiation due to the transmission lines.
ALSO, since this radiator does NOT match any that anyone describes the heat sensor I had to jam through the radiator below the 2inch intake thing which is directly behind the flexalite module. I drilled another hole to feed that through to the module.
more HELL. finding an ignition ONLY line in this engine compartment.
The flexalite came with a few different things to tap into fuses etc
I finally found a 10amp fuse labeled IGNITION, I think it was 26, read your fuse cover its on the right side near the right most bolt. I used the little adapter they gave me to tape into this fuse but they didnt give a connect for it so I soldered the red wire directly to it and brought that to the ignition intake of the flexalite module. NOTE, this fuse box is sleeved and locks down, I made this line exit the right most corner away from the lock. This is sketchy as this shroud totally down almost cuts this wire. I did not feel like drilling a hole or something.......
For AC input of the module, I tapped the BLACK wire coming off the AC Compressor and connected that to the NEGATIVE AC intake of the module. The positive wires on the AC were already tapped and branched and pissing me off SO I used the black NEG line.
For the POWER line I bolted that to the LARGER bolt under the first fuse shroud that is at the 135amp fuse direct to the battery.
for the NEGATIVE I ran that to the wall where the battery runs directly to and also where I bolted the avid NEG line to.
I tied up all the wires so they wont be snagged anywhere and tossed the avid module into the open area to the right of the fuse box as I dont feel like mounting it at this point in my annoyed life.
Turned the car and and no booms!
I turned on the AC and BAM fans are ON! nice! except UH one of the fans it making a noise, I figured it was hitting the transmission line so I pushed it back and it didnt stop...... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I took the car out for a ride so it would heat up and I needed gas. I get to the gas station pop the hood......
and I hear rattling...... The damn right fan that had no interference is rattling... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I drive the car more down the highway, leaving AC on. Get off and check for any leaks etc..... now the right fan that I had no issues with is WHINING.....
NO leaks the fans are working great, and wow they move a lot of air!
Due to I ordered the the flex 292 in July the people I got it from wont send me a replacement..............
I need to contact flexalite and demand they send me a replacement fan for the right side, as it sounds like the bearings are not too damn happy.
I also noticed the thicker wires when I stripped them back were copper corroded badly, I had to sand them so there would be no continuity issues. so I am thinking this damn felx292 was stored in a damp place and pretty much all the electronics are suspect.

Basically IF this radiator was like everyone said it should be, this install wouldn't have been much of a big deal.
Also, wow this engine is dangerous! I have worked on MANY engines on all cars I have owned. NEVER was it a big deal to touch any parts besides the headers, manifold and exhaust!!!
The night before after my daughter got home, I went to relook at the bolt at the clutch fan. I jammed my arm down there to check something felt some heat and thought NO BIG DEAL its not a manifold or headers at the front of the engine! 3 hours later when the pain wouldnt stop I realized I had a 2nd degree burn, bubbling up skin falling off GRRRRRRRRR that should have been a sign that the install was going to be smooth! :)

I may take some pictures of the stuff that was NOT expected to be there and or I had to modify..... Hopefully the transmission lines arent messed up, but I am too annoyed right now to care much.

SIGH......... well no more clutch fan......

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a view of the modified bracket. as you see this radiator is not like other ones mentioned. The intake is frontal sticking out. I had to also add rubber grommets between the 2 top bolts and the bracket due to the bracket is being held back by the radiators different design.

The transmission hoses seen below and the wires to the negative ground wire and positive up tot he fuse box.
I have to find another AC active line as the one I used is keeping the fans on most of the time even though the AC is not on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah but i am calmer now!

I see people mentioning an AC Active line from some C1 connector wire E12, where is this located????

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got off the phone with Flexalite and they are sending me out a replacement motor hassle free. Very Happy with Flexalite! ;)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so where are these pics?
I see you have an 02 Envoy also, You should look at the pics I posted of the Radiator and Transmission cooler lines. If you have the same coolant lines in the way I would not suggest installing the flexalite 292 as it does not fit.
I bent these transmission lines being careful not to kink them but, I still need to trace them back to be sure I didnt kink them at the transmission.
I also wire tied them together so they would not somehow be push back forward and into the left fan. Also the upper mounting bracket needs to be modifed per my pics. The side brackets were totally useless as there is nothing to connect them too.

Also as noted, installing the AVID module was a very simple process.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
37 Posts
Did you ever get your AC on/off wire hooked up so that it worked correctly?

I had the Flex-A-Lite 295 on my 2000 Dakota CC 4X4 with the V-8. It worked better than the Clutch and Electric fan that came from the factory, even towing a 4700 lb. Travel trailer through the hills of Western PA. I did burn out two controllers. The lastest controller has been improved, it came out ~2years ago.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
899 Posts
I don't know if you still need help, but i can help you with that

1 - 20 of 36 Posts