Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refused to pay the installers price on AV components anymore. So after a week of scouring the web, and many TV threads later, I received all the components for the new TB addition. I cannot take any credit for the install itself, as I had it done for me. But I figured knowing how just about everyone here (including myself) loves pictures, I could share some and show some install ideas as well. I am going to apologize in advance for the cell phone pics, but if anyone wants better pics let me know, I grab the camera and take some more ASAP.

So far here is what I have:

Pioneer Avic F700BT
Peripheral GMAH24B (For BOSE and OnStar integration)
Peripheral GMAHCM (For warning and door chime retention)
Scosche GM1590AB ISO Kit with trim ring.
PAC SWI -SP steering wheel control retention.
Pioneer CD-IU200VM iPod cable.
Monster 8G Amp Install Kit
Rockford Fosgate Digital Capacitor
JL Audio 250/1 Amplifier
JL Audio 10" Subs in power wedge enclosure.

The DVD screen you see is in fact the OEM Panasonic drop down!

Excited to find the Avic would fit, I rushed out and compiled my list of needed adapter buzzers etc. (Thanks to all who had great input!) Soon there after I found that I would loose my REAR OEM DVD as well as the RSE. As for the RSE I was not too concerned, but the DVD player for my son was definitely a welcomed addition, and something I wanted to keep. I knew I would loose the sound through the rear speakers, but had the wireless headphones and wanted sound there anyway.

So destined for answers I called each adapter manufacturer (PAC, PIE Peripheral), and asked for something that would retain the OE DVD all had the same reply. "Nothing for the Class II Data." So I searched and searched, hopelessly Google-ing my dilemma, with no good answers. So finally I talked with my installer, who immediately told me what I wanted was no problem, in fact he has done it before and that all it took, was basically getting power to the screen as the player itself retains its own power source. I was floored, and thought to myself seeing is believing. So install day came and the proof was there. The OEM DVD was in fact functioning, sound through the wireless headphones and all!

In addition, I chose the Scosche ISO kit over the Metra. I truly believe this kit gives you the best stock look to the install. Real clean. It has a matte black finish that blends nicely with the radio bezel. I also opted to have the capacitor and amp mounted to the rear seat (for now) and the iPod is in the glove box. Just my opinion on mounting options.

So there you have it. You can in fact keep you OEM DVD even with an aftermarket HU install. Just find an installer and explain what you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
very clean install, props to the installer. care to list some prices and who installed it?

just wondering why you have a cap? for only 250 watts, i believe there isnt a need for one.

are those w1's?

any plans for upgrading the speakers ....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very clean install, props to the installer. care to list some prices and who installed it?

just wondering why you have a cap? for only 250 watts, i believe there isnt a need for one.

are those w1's?

any plans for upgrading the speakers ....
The installer was Matt, from Vision Custom Car and Stereo in Hamilton NJ. After tax the whole install itself came out to about 250, including the wiring for the DVD Player.

I actually bought the subs box cap and amp as a package deal from a friend.

I do beleive they are W1s.

As far as the Cap, actually I had this box and amp installed in my previous vehicle, 02 Explorer without the cap. I noticed then that even though its only 250 watts, the amps draw was enough to dim the headlights and dash lights during hard hitting bass lines. I mostly listen to electronica and Drum N Bass music, so the amp and subs get a work out. As far as sound is concerned, it seems to be a bit "sharper", more quick to respond to the music when needed. I by far am not an expert in the field of automotive AV, just know what I like, and know there are pros out there to do it! :thumbsup: So the cap maybe overkill, but I had it, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything so I has him hook it up.

I do have plans for new door speaker and aftermarket amp, I may even do some different subs, or different enclosure. But up next is my Viper 5901, its being shipped as we speak.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Nice!

Very nice!
Diggin the head unit.
Nice JL Setup!
Im a JL Audio FREAK!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I refused to pay the installers price on AV components anymore. So after a week of scouring the web, and many TV threads later, I received all the components for the new TB addition. I cannot take any credit for the install itself, as I had it done for me. But I figured knowing how just about everyone here (including myself) loves pictures, I could share some and show some install ideas as well. I am going to apologize in advance for the cell phone pics, but if anyone wants better pics let me know, I grab the camera and take some more ASAP.

So far here is what I have:

Pioneer Avic F700BT
Peripheral GMAH24B (For BOSE and OnStar integration)
Peripheral GMAHCM (For warning and door chime retention)
Scosche GM1590AB ISO Kit with trim ring.
PAC SWI -SP steering wheel control retention.
Pioneer CD-IU200VM iPod cable.
Monster 8G Amp Install Kit
Rockford Fosgate Digital Capacitor
JL Audio 250/1 Amplifier
JL Audio 10" Subs in power wedge enclosure.

The DVD screen you see is in fact the OEM Panasonic drop down!

Excited to find the Avic would fit, I rushed out and compiled my list of needed adapter buzzers etc. (Thanks to all who had great input!) Soon there after I found that I would loose my REAR OEM DVD as well as the RSE. As for the RSE I was not too concerned, but the DVD player for my son was definitely a welcomed addition, and something I wanted to keep. I knew I would loose the sound through the rear speakers, but had the wireless headphones and wanted sound there anyway.

So destined for answers I called each adapter manufacturer (PAC, PIE Peripheral), and asked for something that would retain the OE DVD all had the same reply. "Nothing for the Class II Data." So I searched and searched, hopelessly Google-ing my dilemma, with no good answers. So finally I talked with my installer, who immediately told me what I wanted was no problem, in fact he has done it before and that all it took, was basically getting power to the screen as the player itself retains its own power source. I was floored, and thought to myself seeing is believing. So install day came and the proof was there. The OEM DVD was in fact functioning, sound through the wireless headphones and all!

In addition, I chose the Scosche ISO kit over the Metra. I truly believe this kit gives you the best stock look to the install. Real clean. It has a matte black finish that blends nicely with the radio bezel. I also opted to have the capacitor and amp mounted to the rear seat (for now) and the iPod is in the glove box. Just my opinion on mounting options.

So there you have it. You can in fact keep you OEM DVD even with an aftermarket HU install. Just find an installer and explain what you want.
Nice install! I did the same on my 9-7x but I couldnn't program the PAC SWI adapter. I tapped into the A12 pin (Lt Green wire), cut the brown wire on the PAC and left the other looped wire intact. How were you able to program your steering wheel controls? thanks!

here is mine:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks nice.....any reason you went with the F700BT instead of the 900? How much did you pay for it? You can get the F900BT/F90BT's on ebay brand new with the 2.0 maps for $570 shipped....check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-AVICF90BT-NAVIGATION-AVIC-F90BT-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ160318103779QQcmdZ[/QUOTE

NIB Shipped my F700 with 2.0 was $388. I used to have a Kenwood DDX512 and for the year or so I had it never once watched a DVD in the front seat. Knowing the 700 played video via the iPod, I figured I would save the money for the Viper 5901 install. ($203 shipped from Amazon)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
4 Posts
07saab97x

Attempting to do the a similar install F90BT, 2 amps, 4 Dr Spkrs, Steering Wheel Control, On Star & Chime intergration, getting the run around with installers considering doing it myself. Will the rear DVD still operate independently after the install want to maintain the use of the head phones?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
4 Posts
F Series Pioneer

Had the F90BT installed three days ago in my 06 TBSS. Awesome Head Unit. A few things the installer didn't install the harness for the door chimes, I hadn't purchased the Pioneer XM Module and my Sprint Treo 700wx will not sync to the head unit. Other than that all is good. I am very impressed thus far with the head unit. Will post pics later.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Attempting to do the a similar install F90BT, 2 amps, 4 Dr Spkrs, Steering Wheel Control, On Star & Chime intergration, getting the run around with installers considering doing it myself. Will the rear DVD still operate independently after the install want to maintain the use of the head phones?
starting your own thread would have generated replies:cool:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Do you get sound from the speakers when the rear DVD is in use or only threw the headphones?

I'm doing a complete system install and would like to keep my sound but it's not looking to good.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts