Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i got an ltz trailblazer recently, and its got the automatic headlights that turn on when its dark, i was wondering if there is any way to get rid of the automatic part, and be able to just turn the switch when i want them on or off.

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,644 Posts
Hey, i got an ltz trailblazer recently, and its got the automatic headlights that turn on when its dark, i was wondering if there is any way to get rid of the automatic part, and be able to just turn the switch when i want them on or off.
Search *DRL Killer*

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
It's a pain in the butt to do, but there's only one way...consult your owners manual or look at it here. (Top right of page in the Resources tab)

Straight from the manual:

When necessary, you may turn off the automatic
headlamp system and the Daytime Running Lamps
(DRL) feature by following the steps below:
1. Turn the ignition to RUN.
2. Press the dome override button four times within six
seconds. After the fourth press of the button, a chime
will sound informing you that the system is off.
3. To return to the automatic mode, press the dome
override button four times within six seconds (the
chime will sound), or turn the ignition to LOCK and
then to RUN again.
Matt

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
389 Posts
The ambient light sensor in the top-center of the dash is what controls when your lights come on. Simply replacing this with an appropriately sized resistor should be able to trick the BCM that it is always daylight. Therefore the headlights will remain off until you manually turn them on with the switch.

Id have to look at the circuit diagrams since you probably have a sun load sensor for the auto climate controls instead of the simple ambient light sensor.

(of course this is just theory until someone tries it)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
if u turn the light switch to the left it would disable it and a orange light will come on that is the easiest way to disable it, u just need to do that every time u turn the car on!!! and by tricking the system you trick the night element but as soon u put it in drive it wont matter if is sunny or not the lights will turn on, turning the knob to the left and releasing would pretty much fix the problem even when u have the car in gear..??????

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
if u turn the light switch to the left it would disable it and a orange light will come on that is the easiest way to disable it, u just need to do that every time u turn the car on!!! and by tricking the system you trick the night element but as soon u put it in drive it wont matter if is sunny or not the lights will turn on, turning the knob to the left and releasing would pretty much fix the problem even when u have the car in gear..??????

As stated before, you can kill them when sitting by hitting the dome override 4 times quickly, but that is only for that ignition cycle. You can pull the E-brake and that will kill the head lights. OR you can buy a DRL killer and that will take care of them for you.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
The problem with a DRL Killer is that the OP wants the Auto Headlights not to work, not the DRL. The resister looks like the best way to accomplish that. I love my auto lights, so I don't know why you would want to get rid of them.

Matt

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
The problem with a DRL Killer is that the OP wants the Auto Headlights not to work, not the DRL. The resister looks like the best way to accomplish that. I love my auto lights, so I don't know why you would want to get rid of them.

Matt
:duh: Not sure why I didn't think about the DRL killer not doing what he wanted. I was just going along with what everyone else was saying, ya that's it, I was just following along. :raspberry

I agree though, I love my auto lights, its a bit of a pain at the drive inn, but otherwise why would anyone want to do away with them?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
:duh: Not sure why I didn't think about the DRL killer not doing what he wanted. I was just going along with what everyone else was saying, ya that's it, I was just following along. :raspberry

I agree though, I love my auto lights, its a bit of a pain at the drive inn, but otherwise why would anyone want to do away with them?
I just like having full control of my headlights and stuff. Also, with HIDs, the turning on for a minute when in a parking deck, or under a bridge for a bit, or gets a tad darker when overcast, then back off, isn't the best on them.

Plus, once I did the quad beams mod with the relay, the "auto lights" is just the parking lights.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Just to throw out my two cents...

I had a Jeep Wrangler prior to getting my TB. I am a huge fan of the DRL's and a huge fan of the Automatic night driving lighting. I had neither on the Jeep. I have no use for the DRL's other than to be seen. I would like to mod it so it was a little mor stylish during daytime hours.

I personally would leave it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts