Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have a 2009 trailblazer. My low beam headlights in auto mode are always on, with the car in gear, even when it the sensor on the dash is in broad daylight. So, I have just been switching the lights completely off in the daytime, but I want to know why the automatic mode isnt working. Maybe a bad sensor? Is there anyway to test if it is bad other than just covering it up?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Welcome!

Are you sure you're not just seeing the daytime running lights? They're just the low beams
at about 70% power, iirc.

An easy way to test your light sensor is to leave the lights on auto in daylight, and verify that
your dash lights are not on. Then drive in to a dark garage. Even if you don't see
the change in the headlights, you should see your instrument panel lights come on.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I am going to try the gargage test. But the indicator light, is that located to the left of the actual healight switch, because it only lights up if I have the switch set to the off position for all of the lights.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
975 Posts
headlights

You have drl's on the vehicle , the headlights will always be on at a slightly lower intensity unless you manually turn them off . As long as the tailights are not on in bright sunlight you do not have a problem and it is working as designed . I hate drl's too and shut mine off everytime I start the car. Have seen too many gm's running around with one headlight out . You can watch the sensor work , if its bright enough out then the dash and radio readout will go full bright without adjusting the dashlight knob. If too dark you will see the dash and radio display go dimmer and then it can be adjusted with the dashlight adjustment on the left near the headlight knob. Mine takes too long to go full bright even in bright sunlight , they can take auto headlights out as far as I'm concerned.. You are correct that little light will only light up if the headlight is turned full off to the left which indicates the drl's are shutoff though this does nothing for the autolight sensor for the dashlights , those are still at the mercy of the light sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, you guys are right, I feel stupid! I really didn't have any idea that my DRL's are actually the headlamps coming on. I also find myself just switching them off every time I start my car now, which is pretty annoying. Is the best way to remove the DRL function to get a DRL killer, or is there an easier alternative?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
.....Is the best way to remove the DRL function to get a DRL killer.......?
Yes, the DRL killer is the way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts