Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those with the rear air bag auto level control, I have this for the first time and lke the way it works. I am interested in knowing how probem free this system is and is it high maintenance equipment. I would appreciate hearing what experience others have had.
Charles

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Charles, I will put it this way: I have a 2002 Envoy with the load leveling rear, its great. I love it... except when it $*@!es up.

I have 119,500 miles and have replaced the compressor thrice. I had to replace the switch in the trunk to turn on the auxillary (air hose to inflate tires, etc) a few months ago as it went kaput.

Its a maintenance free system - no cleaning, oiling, or other cleaning is required. But when it poops out, you are going to hate life. I bought 2 compressors on ebay (brand new) for $250. The third one I bought used for $20 or so.

My advice: Keep a spare on hand, because when they go, they are hard to find and take a few days to acquire. The dealerships usually want $700 or so just for the pump.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
My system is having problems. My 03 Envoy XL (121K) started showing symptoms about 9 months ago. The compressor works but there seems to be a leak somewhere in the system. The right rear is never as high as the left anymore and while parked on a slope will sag to the bottom of the systems travel.

I've not sure how important this system really is to me and might want to remove it. Anyone with experience in removing the air suspension system? I came across a vendor on here last fall who sells kits to convert the system but I can't seem to find it, any one aware of this vendor?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
Hi, I have 100k mi and have not worked on it yet - I have an extended and have hauled a lot of stuff. Drywall , rubble - boats - trailers with bricks.

So far (knock on head) things are fine. A buddy blew his out hauling too big a boat lol.

This has not been an issue for me - but I have put 4 ignitions in my truck lol.

After 100k mi I am sure it will need some TLC one of these days.
:woot:
Enjoy

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
Yeah, I loved mine so much I ripped it out and put coil springs in! Compressor died because the bags were dry rotted and it had to run way too often. Check 'em out:
What's involved with this project? Time, difficulty and parts needed? I'd like to leave the compressor in if possible for airing up tires ect via the outlet in the cargo area. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
What's involved with this project? Time, difficulty and parts needed? I'd like to leave the compressor in if possible for airing up tires ect via the outlet in the cargo area. Thanks in advance...
It took me two hours to complete. You have to get the rear end up high enough to unbolt the bottom of the shocks with the rear hanging off the ground. I pulled the fuse for the compressor because it was dead and cut the air lines to bleed off the air. Make sure the coils are in with the bigger opening on top with the insulator between the body and the spring. I was hoping to keep my compressor for pumping stuff up too but it didn't survive long enough. I was planning on splicing the leads coming from the height sensors so it wouldn't run for no reason. I got the parts from parts4chevys.com that included the springs, insulators and different bump stops on the axle. In all it cost me about $130. You might also consider replacing the rear shocks too because the ones for the coil spring rear have a shorter stroke for some reason (which I can't figure out!). I have more pics if you want them.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Yeah, that was probably the most time consuming. You don't want two and a half tons of vehicle falling when you're laying under it! At first I was hesitant to take the tires off the rear in case of that but I needed more height and it was a toss up between having the vehicle up higher or not having the wheels on in case it slipped (not that it was ever even a concern it was tippy), but when you're working alone outside in your driveway, who knows what can happen and how long it'll be before someone rescues you! I also found that even with the shocks unbolted I still had to pry the new springs into place, maybe because they were new.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
It looks like I'm going to have to make this repair this week. I've been getting by on the compressor pumping the vehicle up each morning and often during the day and this morning no luck. Seems the compressor is worn out or the sensor that activates it.

Are the springs a dealer stocked item? What about the shocks? I've already had all 4 replaced at the dealer and the vehicle still is too bouncy so I hesitate to use OEM shocks. Any part numbers and manufacturer, supplier info would be appreciated.

I've not replaced shocks or springs before, do I need special tools?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
First check this site's classsifieds....lots of lowered or raised guys that have their original springs. You might be able to strike a deal. - Another option is the GF 2" drop springs, that level the vehicle.

As for tools, nothing special, ust your basic box/open-end and socket set. most of the bolts are metric and not 'English'. The one component you will need that I don't believe is on your current vehicle is the rubber insulator for between the spring and chasis at the top....it is in the pictures that were posted. The ECAS setup bolts to the upper mount and doesn't use the insulator and you'll rattle and bang on bumps without it.

It looks like I'm going to have to make this repair this week. I've been getting by on the compressor pumping the vehicle up each morning and often during the day and this morning no luck. Seems the compressor is worn out or the sensor that activates it.

Are the springs a dealer stocked item? What about the shocks? I've already had all 4 replaced at the dealer and the vehicle still is too bouncy so I hesitate to use OEM shocks. Any part numbers and manufacturer, supplier info would be appreciated.

I've not replaced shocks or springs before, do I need special tools?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
First check this site's classsifieds....lots of lowered or raised guys that have their original springs. You might be able to strike a deal. - Another option is the GF 2" drop springs, that level the vehicle.
As much as I'd like to save some bucks and help fellow members out I'm in a time crunch and need to purchase parts in the next 24 hours. I'm taking this vehicle on a 2000 mi road trip and need to get the conversion done quick.

gmac310 mentioned the need for different shocks due to the coil springs being shorter. I guess a supplier will have a part number for a non air GMC then?

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
I've got them in my Rainier and they work fine. I especially like when I tow my heavy boat and gear, the rear doesn't sag like I see on so many other non-air bag 360's. I also have a similar system in my GM minivan which works exceptionally well for that application. I am afraid to know the cost to replace them on the Rainier when they go out. The minivan's lasted to about 100k miles and were cheap to replace.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.