Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone: Reaching out for some ideas & suggestions. I have an 04 T/B Ext. with the factory CD/Cassette Audio System (non-Bose). Based on other Delco systems I have owned and systems I have heard, I come away disappointed with the sound system in my T/B. The volume, bass and treble tone are all good, but it appears the system lacks sound clarity/sound separation. I have tried adjusting the bass, midrange and treble with no success. I was thinking of upgrading the speakers. I am curious to know if someone is using an upgraded speaker with the factory sound system and what the results were. I'm looking for plug & play possibilities only as I don't want to modify and/or cut. Any ideas/suggestions???

·
Registered
4 Posts
getting the most from your factory Delco setup

I've had a lot of GM trucks (Bravada, Silverado's, etc) with the GM Delco (non Bose) radios and here's the simplist and cheapest way to really improve the sound while keeping the stock head unit.

1. Replace the front speakers with a good quality aftermarket 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 speakers. When installing the speakers have a passive speaker level crossover installed to limit bass going to the speaker. This would be a 12db high pass crossover set to somewhere between 100hz and 300hz. Bass blockers will work but only provide 6db of filter. A 12db crossover is much better. Partsexpress.com sells them or you can build your own. This allows you to play the front speakers much louder and clearer without distortion.

2. Adjust the fader to the front speakers so the rear stock speakers can just be heard. This provides full range "rear fill" but sends most of the power up front to once again provide loud and clear music with minimal distortion.

3. Add a subwoofer. This is more of a personal preference but I've been amazingly happy with the Infinity BassLink. It's pretty much plug and play and you can buy them for under $200 NEW on ebay all day long. It has more features than you'll ever use and it easily removeable should you need the space. There are several powered subwoofers that will do the same job very well so shop around.

Anyway, for around $350 installed, this has been my best "bang for the buck" system I've done in a long long time.

2003 Oldsmobile Bravada 4wd w/ Smarttrack and sunroof
Delco 6 disc in dash radio (non Bose)
Infinity Kappa front speakers with home built 12 db passive highcrossovers
stock rear speakers
Infinity Basslink subwoofer
My laptop does GPS navagation, DVD playback, MP3 playback

·
Registered
233 Posts
watchdoc said:
I've had a lot of GM trucks (Bravada, Silverado's, etc) with the GM Delco (non Bose) radios and here's the simplist and cheapest way to really improve the sound while keeping the stock head unit.

1. Replace the front speakers with a good quality aftermarket 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 speaker. When installing the speakers have a passive speaker level crossover installed to limit bass going to the speaker. This would be a 12db crossover limited bass somewhere between 150hz and 300hz. This allows you to play the front speakers much louder and clearer without distortion.

2. Adjust the fader to the front speakers so the rear stock speakers can just be heard. This provides full range "rear fill" but sends most of the power up front to once again provide loud and clear music with minimal distortion.

3. Add a subwoofer. This is more of a personal preference but I've been amazingly happy with the Infinity BassLink. It's pretty much plug and play and I you can buy them for under $200 NEW on ebay all day long. It has more features than you'll ever use and it easily removeable should you need the space.

Anyway, for around $350 installed, this has been my best "bang for the buck" system I've done in a long long time.

2003 Oldsmobile Bravada 4wd w/ Smarttrack and sunroof
Delco 6 disc in dash radio (non Bose)
Infinity Kappa front speakers with home built 12 db passive crossovers
stock rear speakers
Infinity Basslink subwoofer
My laptop does GPS navagation, DVD playback, MP3 playback

That sounds interesting. Do you build a special box for the sub, or make use of the rear floor compartment?

Now for the tough question: What can a guy do to the Blose system to make it sound good? :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, the Infinity Basslink is a powered subwoofer. It has a 200 watt amp, 10" sub, adjustable crossover, remote level control, and it senses when the radio is on. It comes in Black or Clear plastic and it's a serious piece for the money. Just do a search on ebay and you can see more about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts