Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, The symptoms..

1.) Sluggish performance seen mostly from the low end (kind of bogging down like before my tune).

2.) Shifting doesn't seem to be quite right at highway speed while going to WOT or just trying to say 3/4 throttle to pass someone. (hesitates to drop down a gear) or (shift up once I let off the gas)

3.) MPG have sharply dropped over the past 3 or so months.

4.) When really getting on the throttle as smell thats fairly hard to describe is present for a few min. This smell is not there when driving conservatively. It smells at least to me like burnt gun powder (cordite).

5.) Smoke....very light coming from exhaust. Its white with a very very light tint of blue. It was hard to tell in the winter, but now that its warmer I can see it better and no other vehicle has that white smoke like in the winter.

Things I have done recently. Either to fix the problem or maninace.

Cleaned the TB about 2 weeks ago.

Changed Spark plugs a year ago or so (ACDELCO OEM)

Sea Foamed the engiene (vacume line)

Once every other month run Techron (small bottle)

I only use high octane fuel

Normal oil changes Royal Purple 5w-30 (no leaks or oil consumtion)

Changed rad. no leaks

Changed and fushed trans. (Amsoil)

Changed power steering fluid and brake fluid.

Changed front and rear diffs. (royal purple)

(no transfer case fluid change yet PLUG STRIPPED):mad::mad::mad::hissy::hissy::hissy:

I have PCM tune, CAI, res. cutt off.

So from searching I have found that there could be many poss. causes. I am leaning toward the Cat. :rolleyes:

With these symtoms what does the Trailvoy collective think?

Also, as a side note I had a "check engine" light on about 6 months ago. It stayed on for about 2 weeks the went off. I never got the code.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
symptoms describe a plugged cat....

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
OK, The symptoms..

1.) Sluggish performance seen mostly from the low end (kind of bogging down like before my tune).

2.) Shifting doesn't seem to be quite right at highway speed while going to WOT or just trying to say 3/4 throttle to pass someone. (hesitates to drop down a gear) or (shift up once I let off the gas)

3.) MPG have sharply dropped over the past 3 or so months.

4.) When really getting on the throttle as smell thats fairly hard to describe is present for a few min. This smell is not there when driving conservatively. It smells at least to me like burnt gun powder (cordite).

5.) Smoke....very light coming from exhaust. Its white with a very very light tint of blue. It was hard to tell in the winter, but now that its warmer I can see it better and no other vehicle has that white smoke like in the winter.

Things I have done recently. Either to fix the problem or maninace.

Cleaned the TB about 2 weeks ago.

Changed Spark plugs a year ago or so (ACDELCO OEM)

Sea Foamed the engiene (vacume line)

Once every other month run Techron (small bottle)

I only use high octane fuel

Normal oil changes Royal Purple 5w-30 (no leaks or oil consumtion)

Changed rad. no leaks

Changed and fushed trans. (Amsoil)

Changed power steering fluid and brake fluid.

Changed front and rear diffs. (royal purple)

(no transfer case fluid change yet PLUG STRIPPED):mad::mad::mad::hissy::hissy::hissy:

I have PCM tune, CAI, res. cutt off.

So from searching I have found that there could be many poss. causes. I am leaning toward the Cat. :rolleyes:

With these symtoms what does the Trailvoy collective think?

Also, as a side note I had a "check engine" light on about 6 months ago. It stayed on for about 2 weeks the went off. I never got the code.
When do you get the smoke? All the time? Blue smoke is oil being burnt.

I'd agree with Rbarrios, sounds like classic bad cat.
Are you tuned for high octane fuel?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
I agree with the cat issue, and sind you toasted a cat that quickly, I would also change the front O2 sensor.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When do you get the smoke? All the time? Blue smoke is oil being burnt.

I'd agree with Rbarrios, sounds like classic bad cat.
Are you tuned for high octane fuel?
I get the smoke about 99% of the time. More when first started, then it dies down to just a little. About what a smoker exhales. As for the blue tint, I have noticed it just a few times...It may very well be just how the sun was those days. I have checked the oil now several times and there seems to be no loss.

In my search for a replacement cat, I have found a very large price gap. Ranging from 70 bucks up to 300. The difference seems to be tied in with a direct fit apposed to a weld it in universal.

I have read in other posts that the OEM cat flows good. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is? Is there any particular on to stay away from? Hows Eastern?

Thanks.

Oh and yes Im tuned for 97 octane

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tuned for 97 octane for an I6? What brand of fuel do you use and why so high of an octane?

I thought it was 97, I'm probably wrong. I always use the premium never the lowest, and only rarely the mid. As far a brand, I usually go to either Citgo or Mobile since there close to the house. I do know that on my trips driving from Chicago to DC the Sunoco's have a super premium (4 grades total)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts