Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted about my problem before but I've replaced some parts and figured I'd start over with the hope someone can help.

My key will not turn all the way to the release position. It will turn the ignition off but stops at the Acc position. ( by pressing the concealed button under the steering column the key will turn to the off position)

My gear shift will move without pressing the brake and without the key in the ignition.

There is a power drain as the battery is usually dead after an hour of sitting.

I've replaced the shift interlock solenoid and the ignition switch. Still have all the same problems. I don't know what it is called but the plunger or solenoid that is inside the column next to the key and beside the ignition switch fills "weak." This is the release button that I press (by inserting a screwdriver into a hole in the plastic column cover) and the key releases to the off position. Could this be the problem? What is this part called? Any way to test it?

Anybody have any ideas?:suicide:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it's not the position of the gears

BTW... problem is not the position of the gears on the ignition switch. I tried every available positron just to make sure.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
300 Posts
get a meter and check to see that you are indeed getting voltage (and ground) to operate the solenoid.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh, volt meter... you are my nemesis

Sounds like good advice...I wish I knew how to do that.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
300 Posts
get a friend that knows how (plus a case beer)...:)

I am sure the internet has numerous videos and otherwise on how to do some simple testing that will get you thru that. Basically, put the meter on dc volts, red lead on the "test point" that you are "inspecting" (ie. interested in finding out about) and the black lead on a "good ground". Of course, on a vehicle, most "points of interest" will be 12v if they are working good and otherwise if not. From there and a circuit diagram, you will likely find out what's happening.... maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts