Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a pair of Arnott aftermarket air springs for my 03 Envoy XL.

I have to say I have some reservations about them.
I would like to hear from anyone who has actually bought and installed them themselves. There have been some recommendations on the forum for the Arnott parts but I don't see where anyone said they actually put them in. People who have put coil springs in, yeah. But not the Arnott parts, unless I missed it.

If you haven't bought AND installed them yourself no need to respond.

The gm part is like this:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11570&stc=1&d=1272473015

When the GM part is installed you stick it up into the plate and turn it to the right. It makes a definite click and then hangs there somewhat tightly from the top. You can wiggle it but you cannot remove it from the plate at the top without reaching up and pushing the release tab so you can turn it.

The Arnott part is like this:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11571&stc=1&d=1272473015

When the Arnott part is installed, I pushed it through the plate and turned it but it didn't get tight at all and it didn't click, and I could wiggle it much more than the GM part. I could grab it and turn it and pull it out of their too, without having to reach up top and release the tab. The tab is not engaged at all.

Different, definitely.

You can't see the thickness of the metal that would be accommodated by the three tangs, but the Arnott part seems to be made to accommodate thicker metal than I have or that the GM part would accommodate.

You can see the difference in the spacing of the locking part. The GM part is 1/2" from the tang to the lock. The Arnott part is 3/4". A little off. Which may be why it doesn't click in. Or it may be because of the three tangs, bigger, so it doesn't fit tightly enough for the lock to click in. Maybe, hard to tell what the problem is.

Now from the picture of the Arnott part you can see that one only has two tangs, one is missing (arrived broken or defective) and they are replacing that one. But we took the car apart to put these in and because of the broken tang and the poor fit we didn't put them in, I put the old bags back. Called Arnott and they said theirs don't click in but then the car's weight is on them they "aren't going anywhere".

Which leaves the question: If the locking tab is not necessary why did GM put it there? And then why did Arnott put it there on theirs but it doesn't work? It would have taken exactly the same effort to make a part that fit perfectly. The Arnott parts seem to be nicely made but are just a little "off". Weird.

Which is why this post. Has anyone seen this problem when you installed the Arnott parts? Did yours make a definite "Click" like the GM did when they locked but in my case the Arnott part did not and it was loose.

Did you have any problems afterward? I don't want the rear air springs coming out and causing trouble, as you can imagine.

Has anyone actually used any of the Arnott parts?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
I installed the Arnott air bags last fall and experienced the same things that you are describing. I have not had a problem with them since. The only thing I did was to check that the bags didn't rotate or move when I lowered the vehicle as well as when the bags filled. Once they fill, they won't be moving.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine are in and working, so no problems.
But it wouldn't have been more difficult or expensive to make them right, so they fit and clicked in like the OEM.

Why they would make them different so they just don't fit right, well, I dunno.

They are working, though. And save your receipt, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
19 Posts
air springs leaking

my air springs are leaking as well and need replacement. i am ordering the arnott replacements. are the air springs you all used "Generation 2" as arnott specifies? and is the ride the same as the factory air springs? they seem easy to install. is there any pointers i should know about?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
19 Posts
I also replaced my OEM airbags and compressor with parts from Arnott. I noticed the same issue. I haven't had any problems, it functions beautifully and the ride is great.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
133 Posts
Perhaps these are really meant for another vehicle and they just decided they would also work ok in ours

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
520 Posts
are the air springs you all used "Generation 2" as arnott specifies? and is the ride the same as the factory air springs? they seem easy to install. is there any pointers i should know about?
I got "Generation II" installed in my Voy. I feel the ride is better than factory. Drove for over a year with a slow leak, so the stock bags definitely were not performing like new. I also know that my compressor doesn't run as much. I had my local garage install them.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
124 Posts
I got "Generation II" installed in my Voy. I feel the ride is better than factory. Drove for over a year with a slow leak, so the stock bags definitely were not performing like new. I also know that my compressor doesn't run as much. I had my local garage install them.
Hi. Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm about to pull the trigger on some Arnott air bags, but am not sure which to choose between the OEM and Generation II. Anyone able to give me some incite?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't like the Arnott aftermarket bags

As I posted before, I bought the Arnott aftermarket bags, and they don't fit nearly as well as the oem. My compressor is running too much. I had to actually cut metal to get them to fit.

Arnott didn't have OEM at the time.

I wouldn't buy the aftermarket bags, and I will eventually be replacing them with the OEM parts. I think my aftermarket bags are leaking.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
124 Posts
As I posted before, I bought the Arnott aftermarket bags, and they don't fit nearly as well as the oem. My compressor is running too much. I had to actually cut metal to get them to fit.

I wouldn't buy the aftermarket bags, and I will eventually be replacing them with the OEM parts. I think my aftermarket bags are leaking.
OK, thanks. Don't forget Arnott claim to have lifetime warranty - if your bags are faulty, make sure you get them replaced for free.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
22 Posts

Steevo,

If you cut metal out to get them to fit in properly, how are you going to get OEM bags to fit in their place_properly?

If the air system is a sealed unit and the bags were new, did you check for leaks in the system? The bags should fill up and remain at that level, unless you load up the rear suspension and the ride height changes. If the compressor is always running then you have a leak somewhere?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts