Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I probably will not be back unless I have more issues later down the road with this vehicle. I actually signed up to post my problem and see what you all think. I am not a mechanic chick but I am not so unable to check a dip stick or change out some oil. Thank you for responses in advance and I will continue to report until this issue is resolved so others can possibly be helped by this post also.

The good :): My sister gave me her 2004 Trailblazer LT 4WD or (AWD)? With existing problems! I took this vehicle to fix for my 16 year old daughter to drive thinking I could fix it for under 2K after all said and done. 2004 TB for 2K? Pretty good deal if it works out right. Ok..............

The Bad :(: So my sis has this TB towed to my house. The story is this on this vehicle. She bought it brand new. It is a one owner car. She kept all the maintenance up such as oil changes, tranny stuff. About 1 year ago, she had to replace the engine. She replaced it with a used one that had less than 50K miles on it. The vehicle ran good for three months and then started knocking, like the sound in the video. She drove it until the transmission started not shifting. My sis also took it bad to the mechanic "certified" shop where the motor was put in and they couldn't figure out the knock. Actually she took it back I believe THREE times to them. With much frustration and a new raise, she went out and bought a brand new car. This car has been sitting for about three or four months before it was towed here to my house. Initially we, non mechanics, but good workin chicks thought it was the tranny going out. BUt, after driving a SHORT way down the road I noticed lots of vibration, passenger side shakes like crazy on turn the key on and off...the transmission has a hard time shifting into 2,3,4 . You either have to drive slow to let it shift or (best not to do) rev the RPM's up and let up off the gas to have it shift. My brother checked the transmission fluid and changed the oil, filter and seal. It was slightly dark and had some shavings but not an abundance in his mind for the transmission to be totally out. The fluid was still red with a small hint of brownish at the bottom. Dipstick looked good fluid wise. Also, we had a code reader put on it by the "certified" mechanic here in our town. There are no codes but it did say that the catalytic converter was "not ready". So I guess that might be going out since it cant seem to get itself ready to throw any codes? That's another issue....to take care of down the road.

The Ugly?:eek: Here is a video. I tried to do my best to show how the car vibrates and how the motor moves. The engine revving in Reverse and Drive with the brake on does not go over 2500K RPM and is mostly at 2000K RPM.

Does this look like bad Motor Mounts? And could this make the transmission not want to shift?

Thanks..................for any replies...........:thx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2qW_95t_zY&feature=youtu.be

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
I would be more worried about the knocking than the motor mounts at this point. The knocking sounds really bad from underneath. I think you need to find a trustworthy mechanic (not the one that installed the engine) and get a top to bottom assessment of the truck. Then decide if it is worth sinking money into it.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
I agree with Freddyboy61! Maybe trans mount and drive shaft hitting or some bolt or part worked loose in the trans and/or transfer case etc.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definately a possibility! Getting it checked tomorrow my the "real" shop boys. But today we are still looking it over with our unexperienced eyes and ears. Just started it a few times, let it run, and listened, poked around for loose parts etc...

It is confirmed that the noise is not the engine. Although in the video it may sound like it, the engine itself runs very quiet at top and directly underneath. You can hear the knocking but it is not the true origination for the sound.

After getting under the car while running, the noise sounds like it is originating inside the transmission itself right above and in front of the pan. Like there is something major loose in there knocking. It is the loudest right under the transmission. If you go further to the engine, the sound starts to diminish the further away from the transmission.

There is an open vent area on the transmission. If you cover it with a cloth, the sound gets very faded, almost like your blocking the noise off from coming out. Make sense?

Definitely will update soon on this problem. Hoping its a quick tranny fix or replacement....get this thing on the road!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts