Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 gmc envoy transmission I got from my old envoy to worked amazing. I saw a 2006 envoy on marketplace with a bad transmission. I’ve heard that it won’t work because the new envoys have an extra sensor in them. Is it true? Can I put an 2004 4.2 envoy transmission into a 2006 4.2 envoy?? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,642 Posts
The guts of the 4L60 have had numerous upgrades for all the time they've been produced --- from stronger splines, heat treated drums, more planetary gears, better valving and changes in programming from the computers.

IIFR ---> 2002-2006s are pretty much interchangeable if the bellhousings are correct --- and I may be wrong on that --- but I know at approx 2006 1/2 there was a semi-quantum shift in designs both internal and external.

As far as "can you put it in?" Sure --- it might install but the computer is gonna go blind looking for the correct electronics and valve body.

I just built them --- I never had too much time on these units as they were still under warranty when I retired in 2004. I even had my own unit rebuilt by a good ol' friend I discovered here in Montana who's still in the transmission business --- and it's sweet --- mostly because I didn't have to do it..............................

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
696 Posts
MAYBE it bolts-in and works as-is.

MAYBE it bolts-in and works if you re-pin the electrical connector.

MAYBE it bolts-in and works if you do some sort of major work, like changing valve bodies or something.

You'll have to grab both service manuals, and see how the electrical connector is wired on both vehicles, then decide if you can adapt one to the other.

As said...gotta have the correct bellhousing, and the correct output (2WD vs. 4WD).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts