Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Addco rear sway bar on for about a year. I remeber when replacing the oem bar with the addco that it didn't have a "stop" or anything to keep the bar in the center of the vehicle like the oem bar did.

Has anyone else noticed there addco sway bar being completely to one side of the vehicle? My bar is as far to the passanger side as it can go, the one sway bar bushing is against were it bends and won't allow it to go any further. The driver side end link is rubbing on the lower control arm.

I remember correcting it once by loosing both bushings and sliding to center but it seems to have moved back. What gives? Seems like a design flaw to me.

How or what should I do to correct this? Anyone feel free to comment.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I am going to weld some stops on the bar

Does anyone have a factory rear sway bar that can measure the distance between the OE stops, also are they on the inside or outside of the bushings?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The factory stops are inside. From where the bushing would ride to where the bushing would ride, is 43 3/4".

I just looked at my Hotchkis - where it's outside bends are prevents any side movement.
Thank you... i already ditched mine!!

I should have bought the hotchkis one, seems like a better design and better bushings, addco uses stock bushings that are drilled out to the proper diameter.

The addco bar can move side to side about an inch in each direction. Wouldn't be a big deal if the newer end links didn't have the grease serts sticking out the side. Already ripped it right out of the one on the drivers side.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
The SS guys that have this issue but some collars that prevent the side to side movement. I wish the Hotchkis had the notches like the factory bar did, then Id be set. My SS is getting a Hotchkis anyway, its coming off my 02!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would welding on the sway bar take away from its strength? I just welded two peices of key stock that I bent around the bar. Looks almost factory hope i didn't mess anything up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agreed, the Addco piece is pretty crude. I used a pair of shaft collars to prevent the bar from shifting, but it should have been taken care of by the manufacturer one way or another. The same is true of the bushings - the ones supplied were just stock bushings very crudely hogged out to approximately the right dimension; not really satisfactory. I don't know what the status is with a Hotchkiss bar, but if I were doing it again I would spend the extra bucks to find out. That said, the performance improvement due to the larger bar is worthwhile and I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad i'm not the only one. I contacted addco about the bushing when I got the bar sent me some new ones, but where still the same crappy factory ones that they kinda off enlarged the hole. I have since tried to contact them about the bar lacking lateral movement stops numerous times and they don't respond. Spend the extra money and don't get this one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts