Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering using the 2,000lb U-Haul car trailer to tow a 3400lb car. This is well within the tow limits of my Rainier AWD V8 but I am worried it will dramitcally exceed the tongue weight. However, the manual for the trailer explicity states that sway control & weight distribution are not recommended.

Weight distributing or sway control devices are not used for towing an auto transport trailer. Towing a properly loaded auto transport trailer does not require these devices. These devices may have a negative effect on vehicle handling and braking and may restrict the operation of the coupling mechanism.
Here is a link to the trailer in question:​

Does anyone have any experience with these trailers? What are you guys thoughts in general on this?

Thanks.​

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Sway control and weight distribution systems would hamper the surge brakes on the trailer... You see the funny shaped tongue on the trailer? That actually contains a brake master cylinder in it, and compresses when you stop, so the trailer brakes always work, and always have the correct amount of force for the given load and given rate of deceleration... This is so they don't have to worry about customers' vehicles having electric brake controllers, or rather, not having them... Also means that some dumkoft doesn't have his brake controller set wrong, and doesn't know it until it's too late... The trailers are much more expensive than electric brake trailers, but I'm sure the lower insurance premium makes up for it several fold, if you're renting them out.

Mike

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
They pull very well, just make sure you secure the vehicle you are towing with the wheel straps they provide. After 15 to 20 miles stop and re tighten your load. I moved a car from NJ to Pittsburgh, PA with no problems, other than a little sluggish on takeoffs it was not a bad trip at all.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
284 Posts
I used that same UHaul trailer to tow a Third-Gen Camaro with no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Ive used these a few times with half ton pickups, not with a TB yet. From my experience they do tend to run tongue heavy since the wheel straps require you to restrain your towed vehicle all the way forward on the trailer, and most vehicles tend to be weight biased to their front axle.

I share your concern, but it sounds like other have used this trailer with a GMT360 before, so maybe we're worried about nothing.

If you have time, consider measuring the tongue weight. Maybe its not as high as it would seem?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thank you all for the informative replies. I'm going to go ahead with this plan, probably in the few months. It also occured to me that the auto level rear air suspension on my Rainer should help a good bit with overall control of the trailer. Thanks again.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Also a quick warning: U-Haul dealers are not always diligent about testing the surge brakes! Make sure there is brake fluid in the reservoir.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
i towed a mazda protege with one of these trailers from NJ to NH.

In the TB, myself and 2 passengers, in the Mazda, tons of cargo... probably close to 1000 lbs of crap in the car. Made the trip up to NH without any issues. Even hit some snow and some stop and go traffic along the way....

the trailer was great... and the TB towed it like it was nothing... and that was with a Tune...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
I hauled my TB from San Diego, CA to Portland, OR. The only problem I had was a tire blowout on I-5. Uhaul sent out a repair truck and replaced the tire. It took a little while though (about three hours) because I was in a remote location and the repair guy had a couple calls ahead of me. Other than that, the trailer pulled very easily.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
I hauled my TB from San Diego, CA to Portland, OR. The only problem I had was a tire blowout on I-5. Uhaul sent out a repair truck and replaced the tire. It took a little while though (about three hours) because I was in a remote location and the repair guy had a couple calls ahead of me. Other than that, the trailer pulled very easily.

Did they send out one of these?

They're so rare to spot on the road. Whenever I see one I wonder how many of them Uhaul owns.

·
3,700 Posts
Tip #1 of keeping tongue weight down while towing a car on a trailer where it has to be in a certain spot... Put the car on backwards... We rolled like this towing the Isuzu Impulse rally car to and from races on the 16' (with the front 2' taken up by a tire rack and generator/transmission box), and it towed perfectly...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Did they send out one of these?

They're so rare to spot on the road. Whenever I see one I wonder how many of them Uhaul owns.
Nope. The truck that came to change the tire had a fully equipped repair shop on the back. Welder, compressor, air tools up the gazoo, even a tire changer with a few extra tires. It was very impressive and I was green with envy. (Gotta love those tools).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tip #1 of keeping tongue weight down while towing a car on a trailer where it has to be in a certain spot... Put the car on backwards... We rolled like this towing the Isuzu Impulse rally car to and from races on the 16' (with the front 2' taken up by a tire rack and generator/transmission box), and it towed perfectly...

Mike
The UHaul manual explicitly states that for their trailer, loading the car backwards will cause whipping and sway and will all but certainly lead to a wreck.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You can help keep the tongue weight down by loading the trunk of the vehicle being towed instead of inside or in the towing vehicle. :m2:

·
3,700 Posts
The UHaul manual explicitly states that for their trailer, loading the car backwards will cause whipping and sway and will all but certainly lead to a wreck.
Ah... In which case, they probably have the axles pretty far forward... I know it's worked really well on all of the car haulers I've used, but I've never used a U-Haul one, so I guess I don't know for sure about those, if they're different.

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
they are actually set back farther than you think, but they are a tandem axle which helps distribute the weight better. if you think you are going to have to much tongue weight and you do decide to tow your car backwards just make sure you open a window on the car. My boss used to own a bunch of car transport vehicles and every once in a while one of the idiots would forget to open a window when the car was on backwards and pop goes the windwhield or sometimes backwindow.

·
3,700 Posts
"farther back than you'd think", but not farther back than a normal 2-axle flat bed trailer, I'd guess...

Also, I've towed a lot of different vehicles backwards, and not had a windshield fly out... I'm sure it's happened, but I've never had or heard directly of it happening... I'd think it'd be more likely to happen if the window was open (unless you just mean cracked to relieve pressure, but not open enough to cause the inside of the windshield to become a sail, to which I agree).

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes you just open them enough to stick a pencil in And yes it does happen minivans are the worst

·
3,700 Posts
I can honestly say that I've never towed a minvan, but I could see why they'd be the worst... big windshield at an angle that would create a lot of lift... We did, however, ALMOST lose the windshield in the rally car after it got rolled, and broke the back glass, and cracked the front glass all up... I say "almost" because we figured it'd happen, so we duct taped the crap out of it, including around the A-pillars, and it was bulged pretty good, but didn't come out.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts