Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NYC and don't drive a lot. My 2002 PT Cruiser (owned it since new) has less than 28K miles on the odo.

I do a bunch of dirt bike riding though and want something that can handle a hitch-carrier or pull a 4X8 trailer occasionally. The SS isn't a very practical city vehicle but I'm enamored with it and I'm considering an AWD 3SS (probably a 2007).

Since I don't drive much, I won't complain about the fuel economy (or lack thereof), but living in the city leaves me few options for turning wrenches. I'm just wondering how many of you SS owners have had NO problems with your vehicle? I realize that forums tend to create an exaggerated perception of poor reliability, since those with problems tend to post and complain while those who are satisfied sit quietly by.

I just haven't had a single issue with my PT and I'm not interested in buying a vehicle that has a ton of chronic issues.

Thoughts?

TIA.

Tipsy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Once we got the ignition switch replaced for the third time, no more trips to the dealership with strange electrical issues. Never was fully satisfied that the AC was working properly, but it was livable. Overall, after 75k miles, the truck was pretty reliable. It was just the first few months on a first year vehicle that was frustrating. I know people that had '07s and up and they were very happy with them.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
179 Posts
I have the 5.3L version of the trailblazer, and although not an SS the basic engine concept is the same. Have not had many problems, usually just stupid crap, that annoys the hell out of you, but no major repairs ie trans, engine, stuff like that. Seems like a quality build, hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
I have had the 2005 Envoy back to the dealer once in the last 4 years. That was for a leaking input seal on the front differential replaced under warranty. Other than that and brakes last year, the truck has been surprisingly worry free.

I will say though, that these trucks are fun to tinker with, so I have made other changes. But those were done in the driveway. :)

ct_mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
If you buy and TBSS used, get an extended warranty. You don't know how the previous owners treated it. Also the 2007-08 Trailblazer SS seem to give the most problems. My 2006 has had the ignition switch replaced at 42K and that was it.. SOfar.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Tips, I agree that many internet forums make vehicles seem worse because of a long litany of complaints, but I should point out that this forum is quite different. We are a collection of enthusiasts who LOVE these vehicles.

In here, you can read about some of the common problems but you can also read about the clever solutions from our members. If you buy one of these vehicles and something goes wrong, it is likely a problem common to many of us and you can read about the possible solutions, even if you can't tackle the work itself.

There are certain areas such as thermostats, ignition switches, gauge cluster motors, idler pulleys, fan clutches, encoder motors etc., that are predictable failures in some cases. But the basic platform is solid, reliable and well-designed for the most part. Expensive failures of majour components is quite rare, and all three engines in this platform are among the best and most solid engines ever designed by GM.

I should point out two things here. Because of this forum, I am tackling a lot more work myself now than I have ever done in the past. Most of it is routine maintenance such as fluid changes and brake bleeding (I have always done my own oil changes) and some basic improvements such as a shocks, wheels, tires and a rear sway bar.

When I bought my 04 back in 2007, it was a GM Optimum used vehicle and was eligible for an extended GM warranty for up to three years. It cost a LOT of money but I didn't know the platform that well. I have now used it ZERO times. (I guess it's not really a waste of money but the dealer can't be happy that I have never walked through the front door of his dealership once in the last three years other than to have coffee with my sales rep.)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
LOL - BuY a TOYOTA LOL

I have a hard head and I am Repairing my BLEEPING ENVOY - BUT I COULD HAVE BEEN GOLFING !!!

You could get a good one but that is the rare gem....

Good Luck...
:bonk:

·
Registered
2008 chevy
43 Posts
I own a 08 ss with 12k on it and have had the rear looked at for a whining noise and they fixed my rear hatch lock. It seems to be common for the trans to go at some point but if you plan on mods then it needs to be worked up anyway. I would buy another ss if I could.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Knock on wood, I have not had a single problem in 2 1/2 years. After 30k and mostly city driving, the little SS has made me happy in more ways than 1.

I very well could be in the minority, but I don't think so. And trust me, i'm extra picky when it comes to my vehicles.

My SS is a lease and I would buy it if the buyback price was reasonable. But as it goes, I will just get another GM. Let's see what's out in another year or so that will catch my eye :D

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
361 Posts
I have an '03 Envoy SLT that I've owned since June '04 with 6,500 mile on it. It now has about 38, 000 on it. So I haven't driven it a lot either (had a Co. car). I've had it to a stealership once to have a recall taken care of. Great truck and I love it.:m2:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
40 Posts
I have an 07' SS, bought new, and have had three minor problems, first the rear end whine...fixed at the dealer, specific gear oil or so I was told, second the A/C bracket broke in three pieces and the liscense surround cracked (cosmetic), all replaced/ repaired by the dealer. And I tow a 14' trailer with my G-friends Dog Agility equipment all over the mountains and desert here. Would I buy another? yes! And if I keep my foot of the money pedal, I get 15mpg towing on average, much better without the trailer

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
Hey Gary !! I did the 4 th swithch myself - Mine is a 2003.

My buddy had a 2000 he was an expert at doing the switch - You think some idiot in Detroit would have redesigned the piece of dung....

I now ride with a switch in the glove box...

Anybody notice how the dealers are not making money selling cars so the price of parts are getting jacked??

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
My other Half TX Big G and I each have TB's and neither have been back to the steelership for anything......On is the I6 and the other is the 5.3 V8.....Both get great mileage and have been trouble free. Its a preference thing, Both have mods, lowered, Cai's, Efans, etc. W wouldn't trade them for any other daily driver. Love them both.:thumbsup::D

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
1 Posts
Issues

I have had a few issues with the SS. The personal seat and mirror memory has been an issue. It has been back twice for that.....replaced passenger mirror and "flashed" computer. The bowtie emblems were falling apart...must be a Chevy thing...same problem on my 2007 2500HD. Now the worst problem......it appears to be common among TB...rust. Not even two years old and it is going in for rust on the hood and door seems. Really like the SS but rust is a no can do. They "fix" it....i.e. grind and paint but it certainly will just rust again. Good thing I know a bodyman so in a few years I'll be doing that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
honestly i love the hell out of my trailblzer ss but if i could do it all over again i wouldnt. i have gone through 3 motors all in approx 52000 miles. got the run around on the first one for almost 2 months, the second one for 3 weeks and the last one for 2 weeks. all 3 times i spun bearings in the lower side of the motor.

gm motors had me sign documentation statingthat my vehicle will run with 7 qrts of oil (not the 6 1/2 the manual states) and if i put my k and n air cleaner or my air temp sensor relocator it would void all warranties. im thankful i bought the extended warranty because everything has been covered by it but its a complete nightmare

im actually in the process of trying to get gm under the lemon law since 3 motors have gone bad in 2009. acouple months apart.

if anyone else has had major issues with their car and is currently or has in the past gotten the run around from general motors please contact me. hit me up on this site or my email [email protected]

dont get me wrong. i still love gm, and am a chevy man for life but i got a lemon.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Well, I don't have an SS, but I've had my TB for almost a year, and haven't
had to have it in to the stealership except for the 75K maintenance. I *do* have
some minor annoyances to deal with, but the stealership is failing to honor the
GM Cert. Used warranty....another story that's in process and doesn't really
have anything to do with this thread....

Only reason I didn't do most of it myself is because I still haven't cleared out my
garage....

Overall, at the risk of jinxing myself, at 78,222 miles, the only complaints I have
are with the stealership, not the vehicle!

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
2007 chevy
180 Posts
I've had the AWD boots replaced, under warranty. Also had the TSB done for the clear 3M side moldings.

I had the special lubricant added to the rear and the whole rearend replaced due to a leak.

All under warranty.

Now, last August (2008) I spun the #6 bearing, and it wasn't covered under warranty due to me having a tune on the PCM. So, that's when I paid to forge the whole thing and go bigger and better.

But, now it's ripe for forcing more air into it. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.