1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a Curt model 31055 front mount receiver hitch

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/prod.asp?pc=31055

Would allow me to have a really strong front recovery strap hook mount, plus a place to put a multi-mount winch that could also go on the back for those times you can help out a stuck offroader who's behind you.

I'm sort of shocked anybody makes this for us already, as I was about to have one fabricated.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
625 Posts
They say fo TB:

No drilling required for hitch installation, Fascia trimming required
This hitch for the Chevrolet Trailblazer has a difficulty level of 5 on a scale of 1 to 10
This equates to an amateur installation time of approximately 50 minutes.​
I would like to see pictures of what was trimmed and an install. This would be handy for precision placement of my boat. :yes:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zamar said:
They say fo TB:

No drilling required for hitch installation, Fascia trimming required
This hitch for the Chevrolet Trailblazer has a difficulty level of 5 on a scale of 1 to 10
This equates to an amateur installation time of approximately 50 minutes.​
I would like to see pictures of what was trimmed and an install. This would be handy for precision placement of my boat. :yes:
Will do. The factory pics of their prototype show its top edge right on the lower edge of the bumper with the black plastic air dam/fascia removed. Since I already took that off and put it in the back of my garage before I destroyed it, that's no problem.

The front edge of the receiver is 4-5 inches back from the front edge of the bumper, so you might need a longer ball mount to be able to hitch up. But you're right, and another of my uses would be pushing the trailer up my steep and curved driveway by going forward, instead of trying to do it all in reverse with a lot of torque converter slippage.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
:eek: Looks like a good idea! I'd like too see some pics too if you decide to go ahead with the mod.

Would love to see a winch on their too!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dacomputernerd said:
Not to hijack this thread, but does anybody know if a winch would mount to a Westin bull bar? (For example this winch)
I haven't seen the Westin mounting brackets up close, but my impression is that all "brush guards" like that are the wimpiest possible place to mount anything to. I think they even say to not use them as a recovery strap point.

Even a 3000 pound winch might rip the thing off, let alone a proper 9000 pounder.

So let's look at the bracketry and fasteners involved. A Westin installation sheet for a puch bar unit is located here: http://www.westinautomotive.com/pages/Installation Sheets/75-0195.pdf

With the top bracket mounting into the top of the frame with a M10-1.50 bolt and a single 3/8X16 bolt also in shear from the bracket (unknown thickness material) to the guard, those are possibly the weakest links. A grade 8.8 3/8" bolt might have 8000 lb. shear strength, barely - and the M10 is about the same diameter. But the right angle bracket is likely to tear from a stress pulling towards the front where it can easily withstand the pushing force it was designed for. Admittedly, you have two sides of the brush guard involved to spread the stress, but you have to fabricate a bracket to hold your winch in between the two vertical plates that's better than the current round tubes.

If I *had* to use this method, I'd replace the top bent sheet metal brackets with solid bar stock drilled two places.

But a 70-90 pound winch has no business (IMHO) being permanently mounted out in the elements, where it can also get stolen if you aren't also careful with some lock mechanism. I really like the idea of a multimount that can go in the front or the rear, depending on who needs help and in which direction, but can travel inside until you need to use it in anger.

Besides, the wife likes riding in a vehicle that doesn't totally scream out that it's an offroader.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've been looking at that Curt receiver the last couple of days too. For the same reasons as the OP. I'd like to see pics of the install as well. I was originally going to buy a winch mount for the front of the vehicle, but they make -0- hidden or semi hidden mounts, and I've only seen one mount period, and I don't like the looks of it. I'm thinking of going with the Curt front receiver and the Warn XD9000i (I think that's it, it's available in a Multi-Mount setup).

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question: Here is a picture of a skid plate I've got across the bottom of my radiator (2004 Envoy with skid plate option). I thought it was stock standard and not part of the skid plate option, but I just looked at a dealer's lot full of new TBs (none with skid plate options) and none of them had it. Yes, I've removed the air dam, and yes, those tow hooks have absolutely no business being mounted to something as wimpy as this plate, but that's another story.

The plastic bottom of the standard radiator would be exposed to getting hit by rocks from below.

This plate, if it's a real skid plate, looks like it's in the way of the new front receiver hitch (ordered, in transit), and I'm ready to discard it as well as the air dam. But I wanted to check with folks first to see if you have one that looks like it, or if your radiator is hanging out in the breeze.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
thanks the roadie for your detailed:)yes:) responce. I think i'll forgo on the winch now that i see how wimpy those bolts are.

However, with a front hitch and the winch on it, that would be sweet!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
2002BlkLTZ said:
I've been looking at that Curt receiver the last couple of days too. For the same reasons as the OP. I'd like to see pics of the install as well. I was originally going to buy a winch mount for the front of the vehicle, but they make -0- hidden or semi hidden mounts, and I've only seen one mount period, and I don't like the looks of it. I'm thinking of going with the Curt front receiver and the Warn XD9000i (I think that's it, it's available in a Multi-Mount setup).
It's in, and it's beautiful, in a black powder-coated kind of way. I won an Ebay winch that I'm picking up over Thanksgiving to save massive shipping costs, so I don't have pics of that yet. But it's a Mile Marker 9000 lb. on a Warn Multimount carrier with handles and 20' power lead.

Install took just over an hour, taking a lot of pictures.

Anyway, here's the Curt 31055:

How to wrangle an 80 pound hitch into position:

Fish wire to get five bolts and washers into position:

Bolted in:

Front recovery hook:

Or I can put in the second spare tire carrier:

Or the second spare can go in the back and the glass can still open up:

Air dam notch cut:

Air dam in position:

What I'll normally run with in the front for protection - the Curt mini skid plate:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the roadie said:
I won an Ebay winch that I'm picking up over Thanksgiving to save massive shipping costs, so I don't have pics of that yet. But it's a Mile Marker 9000 lb. on a Warn Multimount carrier with handles and 20' power lead.
:duh: Of course I had a picture - from the auction. Here it is. Hope to never use it in desperation, but it will be nice insurance.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
625 Posts
Looks awesome! How much ground clearance does it have?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Wow, that looks really cool, but you can't see the GMC logo on the front grille :worried:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thank you SOOOOOO much for this! I was thinking of ordering that hitch, but was unsure what required trimming. You bought a similar winch as well. I am looking at a Warn 9000lb. Did your install you bid on include a harness for the front and rear power? Looks like the rear in the pic (long wires). You can also get a set of jumper cables which plug into the winch wiring harness. Allows ya to jump without opening the hood. Excellent pictures!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2002BlkLTZ said:
Thank you SOOOOOO much for this! I was thinking of ordering that hitch, but was unsure what required trimming. You bought a similar winch as well. I am looking at a Warn 9000lb. Did your install you bid on include a harness for the front and rear power? Looks like the rear in the pic (long wires). You can also get a set of jumper cables which plug into the winch wiring harness. Allows ya to jump without opening the hood. Excellent pictures!
I try to help. The winch comes with short cables and a connector. The long harness is meant to connect full time to the battery and probably be carried coiled up under the hood. Then it can be used for front or rear mount.

Love to hear about that accessory for jumping. Assuming this is a Mile Marker connector installed on the winch, I haven't found a store yet selling that accessory, nor a spare harness. I'm surprised, since I can usually find anything on-line, and this one is eluding me. Any links?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I may be incorrect, but I believe the quick connect on that mile marker winch is a Warn design. If it's the same one that came with the Warn Multi Mount kit. Here is a link to an e-tailer selling the booster cables. By the way, that's probably the company I'll purchase my winch through when I finally purchase it. I did, however, just notice the price and it's fairly steep for a set of booster cables. I believe the power cable is meant to be permanently routed to the rear of the truck, along with a shorter one for the front. This is how it appears on that site here. The XD9000i multi-mount I've been eyeing says this:

The XD9000i Multi-Mount Kit includes winch, remote control, carrier, 7.5' power lead with quick connect plug for front of vehicle and hawse fairlead. Front Receiver and Rear power lead sold separately. 20' 32963 or 24' 32966

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2002BlkLTZ said:
I may be incorrect, but I believe the quick connect on that mile marker winch is a Warn design. If it's the same one that came with the Warn Multi Mount kit. Here is a link to an e-tailer selling the booster cables. By the way, that's probably the company I'll purchase my winch through when I finally purchase it. I did, however, just notice the price and it's fairly steep for a set of booster cables. I believe the power cable is meant to be permanently routed to the rear of the truck, along with a shorter one for the front. This is how it appears on that site here. The XD9000i multi-mount I've been eyeing says this:

The XD9000i Multi-Mount Kit includes winch, remote control, carrier, 7.5' power lead with quick connect plug for front of vehicle and hawse fairlead. Front Receiver and Rear power lead sold separately. 20' 32963 or 24' 32966
You're totally right. Thanks for the link! I have not been able to find that on the Warn retailer's sites yet.

The front 7.5' power lead is staying with the seller's truck, so maybe I'll just buy a blank connector as on this page and make up my own stub into the battery. Then the unused side of the connector can go onto a set of $50 jumper cables and I'll have the same as their $74 jumper cables.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts