Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ours needs to be replaced. It has the neon in it. I was hoping to maybe do an LED mod to it to save a 100-140 (found online according to another site) bucks but I can't seem to get the whole thing apart. I was able to get a little over 1/4 of one side off. It looks like they used a glue or something to melt the black plastic to the red plastic. I was able to break most of that free but getting the red piece out of the black groove is proving to be a big pain in the arse. Plus it bit me twice!

I was just curious if anybody was able to do this successfully and how. I will be calling the junk yard and/or dealer tomorrow to get it replaced either way before our drive this weekend.

Thanks
Outlaw

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I know someone on TV used a Dremel tool, opened up the back and put a strip of LED's in. You will have to check search to find it. Or someone else may be able to help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did do a search before posting this and didn't see anything about actually separating it or putting LED's in it. It was just questions about replacements. I was thinking of doing the dremel after we get the replacement now. I don't want to trash this and then not have a light to put in place. I'll try another search.

Thanks.
Outlaw

*update*

Just called a local dealer. They wanted 205.93 for the 3rd Brake light assembly!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hopefully. I'm going to call a few on my lunch today.

I did find this post.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=1465&highlight=led+brake+light&page=2

Ghandi posted:
I have a 2002 GMC Envoy. It just failed inspection because the third brake light was bad.

The dealer price for replacing the 3rd brake light was $200 for the light and $300 for the bezel which they told me was required for 2002 and 2003 Envoys because the original part is no longer available and the new part is not the same dimensions.

So instead, I purchased a two pack of 9inch Red LED strips for $24.59 and soldered them together in series (they are designed to chain together this way) to make an 18 inch LED strip.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pr...OPX&MfrPartNumber=OPLST9RD&CategoryCode=3157A

I removed the 3rd brake light and drilled a 3/8th inch hole on the end with the electric wire coming out, aligned with the old neon tube. I had to dill three or four inches deep. I then cut the old wire with the connector still attached and soldered it onto the LED BAR replacing the existing wire that it came with. The Yellow wire from the old connector should be soldered to the + contact of the LED bar.

I then shoved the LED bar into the hole and pushed it all the way in. It was a perfect fit. I used clear silicone caulk to plug the hole. re-installed the third brake light and it is as good as new.

The LED's extend all the way across the lens and are spaced about an inch apart. I was worried that it might not be bright enough, but it is just fine.
Without pictures, I can't say I know exactly how they did it. They only had 2 posts total and they were both in the link above. If I can't get one from a junk yard, that dremel is going to be my first attempt before forking up 206. GMParts direct has it for 130 (before shipping) so it is a little better.

*update*

Just called 4 junk yards, a truck and car accessory store with no luck.

Also yesterday, I called Napa and stopped at Autozone and Checkers. None of them had the OE unit or an LED strip like described in link. I did get 2 5"? LED units used for the grill though which I planned to mount in there if I don't kill myself trying to open it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you help me find it?

I tried an advanced search with hatchet, even let the little drop down with the names help me but it came up empty for just "hatchet" as the username. It also brought up hatchet669, and hatchetjack5. I tried searching those with "brake light" in the keyword and came up with nothing. Maybe I am not searching right.

I just called the dealer and they said the light is 206, plus I need the plastic "bezel" or whatever that goes around it for another 250, plus it needs to be painted. WTF!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New update

I was able to get the 9" led strips from Advanced Auto Parts. I am going to cut some mirrored plexi from some rigidness then cut slots in either side of the light assembly and HOPEFULLY slide it through to get a full led bar internally.

This is the plan anyways. Wish me luck! hahaha

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guessing this has dropped off but it works!!

Few hours, solder, extra wire, and a dremel. It is actually pretty bright too.

Pics anyone?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks dirtychevymama.

Here are the pictures of progress and finish product. The finished product left side is not brighter then right, it just looks like it because of angle. They are also LED Brake and Blinkers.

2 9" LED Strips

3rd Brake Light

Preview of Mirror Plexi

Holding down Plexi for Cutting

Checking Clearance of Plexi in Light

Plexi in Light

Glue used to hold Plexi together

Apply Glue Primer, Apply Glue next. Do quickly or glue will dry.

Finished without Sealer

Sealed End

Other Sealed End

Light Installed with Flash

Brakes on with Flash

Brakes on without Flash

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Neither did I until I found out for myself that it wasn't going to be cheap to fix if this didn't work. Made me want to get it right. If you want more captions with the pictures and more of a how to I can do that. Just didn't know if it was needed.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
If you are descriptive enough and have enough pics to walk the common man through the process, you can make a how to thread and I'll sticky it. Then we can see about getting an article made of it. A lot of guys, myself included, would want to do this instead of having to buy a newer unit.

I'd love to see a few more pics of the process either way.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool deal. The only picture I wish I could have had was the one where the light was cut out. I have the picture but it's crap. I could do another one if someone wanted to send me one. lol

I am usually pretty descriptive though. I make tutorials/docs for work so that isn't a problem. If more pictures are needed though, that can be a prob as it is all put together. I could have sworn I took more. Guess not.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm making the "How To" now for anybody who might want one. There are some pictures I still need to add but aren't a necessity.

Is there any pictures that I might still be able to get that would be wanted?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. And surprisingly didn't take that long. I wish I didn't start at 930 at night but.. it worked out. :D

Here is a couple more pics taken this morning.

Just the 3rd Brake light with the sun glare. You can still see it is on.

Whole rear of truck with lights on.

Not sure how well this one will work. It is a short video of the lights being used in the "real world". Sorry, it is very crappy but that is what you get when trying to hold a camera on the dash and drive stick. lol You can still see them working. About 3/4 of the way through it looks like the 3rd brake light is flashing. It is not, just a crappy vid.
View My Video

1 - 20 of 28 Posts