Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
696 Posts
I've heard of them, although always with the alliteration "Lunch-box Locker". I think it's a silly nickname.

They cost as much as a real differential. The only savings is in the ease of installation. No gear-mesh issues 'cause you don't **** with the gear mesh adjustments.

When it was me, I bought an Eaton Truetrac; but it's not installed yet. Currently working up the ambition. Who the hell buys a K2500, puts a V-plow on the front for snow removal, and DOESN'T order the truck with a locking differential? I'm gonna fix that...someday.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You want the locker in the front axle? I missed that the first time.

I know folks do that, but I think it's more for off-road including competition than for winter/snow/ice traction. A locked front axle isn't going to steer very well under the best circumstances, both spinning front tires will make directional control...interesting.

In front, a conventional "limited slip" including the helical-gear jobs like Truetrac probably makes more sense. Less-abrupt engagement leads to a more-controllable vehicle, I'd think.

I've never had the front differential case apart. Can you put a "lunchbox locker" into one of them without messing with the gear mesh adjustments?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Let us know how it works out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts