Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a traiblazer with a 4.2 inline, and I want to make it sound better. It is almost silent right now with the stock exhaust. :sleepy: I wanna hear the thing!
The problem is, six cylinder engines can sound like tuners depending on what is done to them. I am looking for a more rumble like sound of a classic car maybe or a lifted truck. I don't know. I just don't want a chevy that sounds like a toyota.
I know someone who has an s10 4.3 that sounds awesome. It has a great low rumble and you can hear it comming. It has twin pipes and that's all he knows about it, so I know it is possible.
I have considered a resonator delete, but that gives it a tuner sound from what I heard. Maybe a glass pack is all I need. I don't know. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
142 Posts
Strap on the largest casing magnaflow muffler (5x11) either 2.5 inch (better low end) or 3 inch (better top end). It rumbles nice and deep but I caution you to either keep stock resonator or add aftermarket resonator to reduce droning at specific rpm range.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I've been lookin at flowmasters too. One of my friends even suggested a g35. Do you know how those compare to magnaflow?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The truth is, all we can do is make the peculiar "ricer" sound of our double overhead cam straight 6 sound louder and more annoying, but never "rumble" like a pushrod v-8 or even the 4.3 v-6, which is merely a 350 chevy v-8 with two cylinders missing.

Our engines "buzz" not rumble.

Further, the factory exhaust is already quite efficient and going larger often does not help much, and may actually hurt because it removes any scavaging effect from a properly-sized exhaust system.

I did a resonator delete on mine and it has just enough sound to set it apart from the other more silent TVs, but I'd not want it "loud" nor will it EVER have anything close to the sound of the SS, which -- again -- has that pushrod v-8 engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, that's kind of what I thought, but I was hoping there was a way. Does the resonator delete sound ricey? Or only at a high rpm?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
it is the ENGINE not the EXHAUST that makes it sound "ricey" for we have a rice-type engine design.

Removing or modifying any part of the exhaust will make the engine's rice sound grow louder.

But, a resonator delete is not the same as adding a "fart can" aka, the rice-style exhaust sound magnifier device that so many use (with their liberal addition of yellow paint, all of which MUST add 100 hp to any already vehicle... :woot: ) so one does not get that annoying sound, just a tad louder and more aggressive. But, it still sounds like what it sounds like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is the ENGINE not the EXHAUST that makes it sound "ricey" for we have a rice-type engine design.

Removing or modifying any part of the exhaust will make the engine's rice sound grow louder.

But, a resonator delete is not the same as adding a "fart can" aka, the rice-style exhaust sound magnifier device that so many use (with their liberal addition of yellow paint, all of which MUST add 100 hp to any already vehicle... :woot: ) so one does not get that annoying sound, just a tad louder and more aggressive. But, it still sounds like what it sounds like.
Good to know. I thank that might be what I am heading towards. Thanks fred

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
15 Posts
resonator delete does not make a noticeable difference at all in the way my 4.2 TB sounds at all. it just looks better.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
What I did was leave the stock cats and remove all the mufflers and run 3inch all the way out with a 3 inch tip it sounds a lot better and doesn't break the bank

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
85 Posts
If you want a nice subtle rumble, replace the resonator with a small Magnaflow race series muffler. But do not alter the main muffler or replace it with a glass pack. I tried that and the drone was deafening.

You can also get a real zoo my sound when you floor it by replacing the air intake with a K & N unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts