Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this Bushranger Exhaust Jack at Ace Hardware in Dubai. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it or a similar product. It's cheaper than a Hi-Lift, easier to use, and you don't need any of the appurtanences that the Hi-Lift requires (base plate, wheel mate, mount, etc.). Here is the URL to the web site. Sorry, I haven't learned to insert links into the TrailVoy postings yet.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/exhaust_jack.php

Son-of-a-gun!! I guess I didn't have to do anything to insert the link other than type the URL. Great Job TrailVoy!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Cheaper than a hi-lift? Not sure where you're looking, but you can get a hi-lift for about $60-$80. Sure you need a purchase point on your vehicle, but the wheel-mate can be had for something like $30-$40. For changing a tire, use the stock bottle jack with the off-road base for the hi-lift. Very effective, because you can lift directly from the axle or control arm.

I too had looked into the exhaust jack, but I thought it took up too much space and was a bit too expensive to be cost effective. :coffee

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Maybe HiLifts are expensive in Dubai? ARB makes one exhaust jack, and last year I saw some Chinese knock-offs on the market for 1/2 the price. I might have bought one so I'd have more recovery options especially if I got stuck alone at high altitude where the exertion of using the HiLift would be excessive for an overweight 56 year old guy. :worried:

But I stopped acquiring stuff willy-nilly due to circumstances beyond my control. :( So it's off the list.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
285 Posts
I'm thinking if your in the sand all the time, I would much rather deal with an Air bag, than a heavy High lift. Not to mention heavy things have a tendency to sink when dropped in sand. I don't know how many chains I lost to the dunes before straps were the only thing I used.

Of course they make the larger base for the high lift, and I've used them in the sand, far later into the night and longer than I've ever wanted to... It can be a major pain:hissy:

I would like to know how these things worked, I don't know about many of you have been stuck in one of these things, but I can't think of anywhere to really jack our trucks up with a highlift without grabbing a wheel. Usually when your stuck(just from experience), especially in the sand, the rig is usually off camber towards the way you need to jack up, i.e. if your right side is stuck in a rut, its leaning towards that side. Which is also the side you have to jack up. The high lift beings so tall, can be pretty tuff to get close enough to the rig and find something to hook the jack to.

In our trucks, besides for the winching factor of the high lift, I find it pretty useless, I don't have bumpers, or rock sliders yet, so the small floor jack and a small piece of plywood is all I carry.

Thats just my :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
You hit it on the head. Winching and grabbing wheels. You can also use a clevis as a lift point, so the rear hitch can be used.

I don't trust my brush guard enough to use that yet, but I have found that by using a combination of the brush guard and the recovery hook, it can hold a decent amount of vertical load... not enough to hold the weight of the vehicle, but a decent amount.

If you have removed your bumper fascia, you could use the bumper-lift accessory on the area between the frame rails. It should be strong enough in that area:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yeah. Tough to Hilift from the downhill side of a sandy slope. I did it once, and it's real work. The frame was down flat to the sand, so there's no way to get a floor or scissor jack UNDER it, even with plywood to put in for a base, without a LOT of digging. That's why I like the PullPal/winch extraction tactic from that kind of stuck. But it's much better to totally avoid situations like this unless you're with somebody who can give you a strap assist.

Here's a rut that caught me early in my offroading career, and the Hilift is in the deep part of the hole with some rocks under the sand base, and the wheel lifting adapter hooks on the wheel:

For normal problems nowadays, Teebes and I use the Hilift on the rock sliders. My daughter gave me the Wabfab adapter that makes sure the jack won't slip off as easily:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback.

I sent the same question to the ME4X4 group here in the Middle East. The feedback from them was not positive. Apparently the Exhaust Jack has been known to explode. Guess I'll have to do more research.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
59 Posts
I have the exhaust lift bought it from ACE hardware in dubai. I have used it twice where i couldnt be towed i.e. between dunes or so.
I find it a good back up and can be stowed neatly while offroading and in house too :)
Do not buy it you can use mine if you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts