Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If everyone is cutting off their resonators why does the magnaflow kits etc come with resonators!!!!

are there any cat back systems without resonators? without sacrificing low end?

after looking under the truck and relooking at the kits....... these arent even dual exhaust kits they are dual pipes!!!!
Does that really help anything?
and what is that huge plastic thing where another muffler would fit?????

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts
after looking under the truck and relooking at the kits....... these arent even dual exhaust kits they are dual pipes!!!!

How would you split the exhuast manifold to make it a true dual on an inline engine?:confused:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Not everyone cuts off the resonator... The Magnaflow kit comes with them because it looks good and it keeps the drone down. The "huge plastic thing" would be your gas tank.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would you split the exhuast manifold to make it a true dual on an inline engine?:confused:
I DUNNO! good question! hah! Actually I didnt look up past the cat to notice it was a dumb question!

I guess I assumed since people call it a dual exhaust when it is just dual pipes. I am used to me crown vic I guess that has mufflers pipes etc coming down both sides of the axle. I totally forgot it was an inline 6!!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not everyone cuts off the resonator... The Magnaflow kit comes with them because it looks good and it keeps the drone down. The "huge plastic thing" would be your gas tank.
Ah hah! that is where the gas tank is! I need to lay on the driveway more and learn myself better!

So I see the magnaflows are 4inch pipes, so if you took the resonators off a magnaflow dual out, you would kill your low end from no back pressure I assume.

so the magnaflow system with resonators still has a nice sound? not too loud but cool?

It looks pretty simple to install a catback system, just needing to cut the stock pipes t get them out.

Does anyone know if the magna flow cat back comes with bolts and seals for the cat?

I dont see them pictured here
http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=16704

I do see it implying it will come with hangars for the left side which i assume will bolt on? since on the Envoy there is nothing there, just a sort of 5/8 hole and a like 1inch hole.

the footnote says I would have to modify it for an envoy does anyone know what that mod is???? it says a muffler shop can do it which makes me think a BEND which would suck for a DIY'r!!!!

thanks

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Gibson Cat-Back does not have a Resonator, Neither does the JBA one.. I had a Gibson on my Old Rainier and it sounded pretty good for an I-6

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
None that I could Tell.. My Rainier was modded a bit.

Pcmforless tune
Airaid Intake
Gibson Catback

You really won't lose any Low end torque. Factory Exhaust is 2.75" and aftermarket is 3". I doubt the loss would be noticed, if there is any.. But the Exhaust being more free flowing will Make up for that with a Better Torque curve.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Ah hah! that is where the gas tank is! I need to lay on the driveway more and learn myself better!

So I see the magnaflows are 4inch pipes, so if you took the resonators off a magnaflow dual out, you would kill your low end from no back pressure I assume.

so the magnaflow system with resonators still has a nice sound? not too loud but cool?

It looks pretty simple to install a catback system, just needing to cut the stock pipes t get them out.

Does anyone know if the magna flow cat back comes with bolts and seals for the cat?

I dont see them pictured here
http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=16704

I do see it implying it will come with hangars for the left side which i assume will bolt on? since on the Envoy there is nothing there, just a sort of 5/8 hole and a like 1inch hole.

the footnote says I would have to modify it for an envoy does anyone know what that mod is???? it says a muffler shop can do it which makes me think a BEND which would suck for a DIY'r!!!!

thanks
The Magnaflow sounds really nice. Check out my thread about mine here: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=43217 . My kit came with everything I needed except it was missing the hanger for the right resonator (not the driver side as my thread says).

It looks to me the "modification" to the Envoy is the other side of the fascia cut for the tip.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
there was another company that has an exhuast without a resonator and that is bassini.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
..........It looks to me the "modification" to the Envoy is the other side of the fascia cut for the tip.
ok will check that out. so the fascia is just the hanging plasticy shroud eh?
gee as if that is hard to do yourself!
thanks

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
So the gibson is only single pipe? those directions on that say there is mnimal welding needed.... it isnt all bolt on??? blah!
Yes the Gibson is a Single Pipe.. If you want Duals, get a Magnaflow, or have an exhaust shop built you one. The Gibson is 100% bolt on. The Magnaflow also is a Bolt on. You will need to cut out your factory exhaust. It is a PITA to remove it in one piece. The factory Muffler Weights a TON...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the Gibson is a Single Pipe.. If you want Duals, get a Magnaflow, or have an exhaust shop built you one. The Gibson is 100% bolt on. The Magnaflow also is a Bolt on. You will need to cut out your factory exhaust. It is a PITA to remove it in one piece. The factory Muffler Weights a TON...
ok cool... so the minimal welding thing is just bogus like that saying the pipe wont work on an 02 let alone any envoys at all heh.....

I jsut noticed in google a thread pointing back to here with athead full of exhaust sounds..... yeah I think its a sticky up top! haha....
I will give the gibson a listen too!
as for the factory.... sheesh yeah I noticed its huge and all welds.. lame!
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
117 Posts
BMW In line 6 engines have true duals on their M-series. Its pretty slick the exhaust pipes go 3 to 1 for the front 3 ports and then the back 3. The dual pipes will stay as individual pipes until they go into a dual inlet/outlet cat converter. Then its all dual exhaust back into a dual inlet/outlet muffler. I like this design for the BMW I6 exhaust but I don't think that it can work on our exhaust. For true duals even if you fab'd a BMW like headers like an M3 because of the Trailblazer O2 Sensor locations there would be some problems.

Personally, I like the gibson exhaust but I have not purchased one yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts