Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 06 Trailblazer. Got it home with no problems. Checked the cooling system overflow tank and it was dry. Opened radiator cap and it was full. With green antifreeze. Filled overflow to cold full mark with dexron orange. Did NOT run engine. I then checked the ww reservoir and filled with the orange RainX on top of the blue that I could see in there....
I spilled NONE of either fluids. The next morning there was a small amount of orange fluid on the DRIVERS side on the floor..."towards the front' like under the core support. Then the next morning there was a bit under the passenger side on the floor... I had NOT run the motor or used the washers at all....I cannot see anywhere it is coming out....I cannot figure out how either fluid got through the original green and blue fluids to the floor......ANY IDEAS before I begin tearing out the fan and radiator? I can't tell WHICH fluid it is due to BOTH BEING ORANGE.....OH.. and BOTH reservoirs are still full!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heater Core. Just pulled my entire dash out to replace mine. I had all the same issues you are having. It's a pain in the butt job but won't stop until it's replaced. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
311 Posts
Someone said heater core. That is behind the firewall. Original post says "under the core support". I interpreted this to mean under the radiator. If indeed under the radiator then that's your answer. You need to inspect the radiator closely. If there is fluid on the ground there will be drips up above. You need to get underneath and locate the dripping and follow it upwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone said heater core. That is behind the firewall. Original post says "under the core support". I interpreted this to mean under the radiator. If indeed under the radiator then that's your answer. You need to inspect the radiator closely. If there is fluid on the ground there will be drips up above. You need to get underneath and locate the dripping and follow it upwards.
I understand that fluids run down and back...But how would that orange anti freeze pass "through" the green antifreeze in the radiator from the overflow tank if the engine was never run after filling the tank? Orange in the overflow, radiator was FULL with green, but only orange on the floor? I'm suppose I'm looking for a hose or something that is basically hidden that is attached to the overflow tank???
And don't forget the washer tank..Blue fluid in that tank, then added the orange rainX washer fluid, and same question....Orange on floor.... Is there a hose that crosses the car to the driver side under or in front of the radiator??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that fluids run down and back...But how would that orange anti freeze pass "through" the green antifreeze in the radiator from the overflow tank if the engine was never run after filling the tank? Orange in the overflow, radiator was FULL with green, but only orange on the floor? I suppose I'm asking is there a hose or something that is basically hidden that is attached to the overflow tank???
And don't forget the washer tank..Blue fluid in that tank, then added the orange rainX washer fluid, and same question....Orange on floor.... Is there a hose that crosses the car to the driver side under or in front of the radiator??

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
311 Posts
OK, the overflow tank when filled to the correct level is the highest point in the cooling system. A hose runs from that tank to the top of the radiator just beneath the radiator cap. When there is no pressure in the system fluid can and will run from the tank into the radiator. You can see this by removing the radiator cap. Fluid will slowly run from the overflow tank into (and over) the top of the radiator. Your leak could be right up at the top of the radiator on either side and then it runs down the radiator externally and onto the floor.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,385 Posts
Just an important point about the coolant fluids, never ever mix green and orange fluids, they are not compatible and will cause problems in the cooling system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The washer tank isnt the issue. It runs outside the firewall and would not cause the interior drip. The washer fluid should be blue. Definitely a heater care issue. They do corrode over time. After replacing heater core, which isnt a terrible job, drain coolant completely and refill with Dextron.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could also be a leaking over flow tank and the fluid is running down the hose to the radiator....if there's a slight crack in the bottom side of the overflow.or it could be a seem leaking in over flow tank...

·
Registered
2007 chevy
19 Posts
Sounds like a classic heater core leak symptom - leaking into the heating ducts and onto the floor

You can maybe see if you can spot a drip when the car is warmed up and heat full on- it's usually a pain to switch out, but can possibly wait till fall if you keep the heater off!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a classic heater core leak symptom - leaking into the heating ducts and onto the floor

You can maybe see if you can spot a drip when the car is warmed up and heat full on- it's usually a pain to switch out, but can possibly wait till fall if you keep the heater off!
The washer tank isnt the issue. It runs outside the firewall and would not cause the interior drip. The washer fluid should be blue. Definitely a heater care issue. They do corrode over time. After replacing heater core, which isnt a terrible job, drain coolant completely and refill with Dextron.
Is under the core support an INTERIOR leak?? Come on.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, the overflow tank when filled to the correct level is the highest point in the cooling system. A hose runs from that tank to the top of the radiator just beneath the radiator cap. When there is no pressure in the system fluid can and will run from the tank into the radiator. You can see this by removing the radiator cap. Fluid will slowly run from the overflow tank into (and over) the top of the radiator. Your leak could be right up at the top of the radiator on either side and then it runs down the radiator externally and onto the floor.
Thank God you can READ!! Yeah...I'll have to pull the fan shroud and take a look. Cars today seem to have hidden crap everywhere. I just wanted to see if there was a hose under the overflow tank before doing any work.... Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Just bought an 06 Trailblazer. Got it home with no problems. Checked the cooling system overflow tank and it was dry. Opened radiator cap and it was full. With green antifreeze. Filled overflow to cold full mark with dexron orange. Did NOT run engine. I then checked the ww reservoir and filled with the orange RainX on top of the blue that I could see in there....
I spilled NONE of either fluids. The next morning there was a small amount of orange fluid on the DRIVERS side on the floor..."towards the front' like under the core support. Then the next morning there was a bit under the passenger side on the floor... I had NOT run the motor or used the washers at all....I cannot see anywhere it is coming out....I cannot figure out how either fluid got through the original green and blue fluids to the floor......ANY IDEAS before I begin tearing out the fan and radiator? I can't tell WHICH fluid it is due to BOTH BEING ORANGE.....OH.. and BOTH reservoirs are still full!
My money is on the windshield washer reservoir. There are o-rings where the pump mounts or a crack. Also I am told you shouldn’t mix green and red coolant.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,385 Posts
The OP never said he had interior leak.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
And the engine was never started. If you can get fluid from heater core out of overflow tank or washer tank. Youbare amazing. OP. How about a smell of fluid on floor. Antifreeze has a dusting smell. Sweet fast too. A dab on tongue won’t kill you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I doubt 10 drops on the garage floor would be a helpful pic.... And where did I ever mention inside or heater core? I f I had followed one reply I would have had my whole dash torn out......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts