Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok used the infomous search button have gone thru the paces; pulled and checked fuses under hood 32/51/52 and 42 under seat all look good and ohm'd out and have power to their location, took plug apart suprisingly it was very clean still no marker at the plug, have power to brake/turn pins and ground ohms good
and got to love the auto off feature for the lights just when i was in the middle of testing click it turns them off :hissy::bonk:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep figured that one out actually trying to figure out how many harness breaks between bumper plug and to fuse panel having trouble finding a wiring diagram

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
help possible

:bonk: ok i have removed the rear seat over the fuse cluster in order to see if the problem is under the fuse box or in th transition from interior to the exterior i have power to both sides of the fuse any ideas?? trying to figure out what harness feeds the trailer plug in rear also not sure how to pull apart the rear fuse cluster to see if the wire has come lose from the bottom side :bonk:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
geesh being 100 plus today doesnt help
ok the # 42 fuse is loose but when i get it to make contact i still dont have marker lights just need alittle advise on how to take the fuse box apart dont want to pry on somthing that doesnt need to be cant afford to make a mistake lol any input .. anyone .. . . .:crazy:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Ok, if the fuse is loose, try something wrapped around the blades.

If not too loose, a little aluminium foil; if real loose, maybe a small wire.

Remember, don't short the blades.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, if the fuse is loose, try something wrapped around the blades.

If not too loose, a little aluminium foil; if real loose, maybe a small wire.

Remember, don't short the blades.
:thx ,.. yep and that might work but.... while i had power going thru the fuse there still was no power to the trailer plug but i did manage to get to the under side of the fuse box and noticed that the #42 fuse wires go into a harness that goes towards the dash does this go to the main switch or to a relay of some sort?? :bonk:

·
Registered
2005 chevy
249 Posts
Do you have a ground to the trailer? I may be wrong but don't trailers ground through the hitch to the two vehicle?

Instead of ohm'ing them, can you check voltage at the trailer plug?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
but i did manage to get to the under side of the fuse box and noticed that the #42 fuse wires go into a harness that goes towards the dash does this go to the main switch or to a relay of some sort?? :bonk:
Hmmm, fuse #42 load is the trailer parks (brown wire). The battery side goes to the park lights relay (#30). but, it's also mounted in the rear fuse panel. Shouldn't be any fuse 42 wiring going forward.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a ground to the trailer? I may be wrong but don't trailers ground through the hitch to the two vehicle?

nope definatly not the ground and have checked the voltage i have brake and turn NO park/marker read all the way thru the posts please thanks

Hmmm, fuse #42 load is the trailer parks (brown wire). The battery side goes to the park lights relay (#30). but, it's also mounted in the rear fuse panel. Shouldn't be any fuse 42 wiring going forward.
yes i guess i need to get a pic of it but taking family to lake in am ill have to post up on sunday so does is the fuse supposed to be before the relay? right? speaking outloud here... battery/fuse/switch/relay/fuse/trailer
of course the switch controls several relays to accomplish turning on all circuits

yeah got me got the fuse box upside down took the blue cap/lid/protector what ever it is off and could see the #42 fuse holder has the feed side bent alittle to throw the contact off took care of that BUT it appeared to feed from the front of the voy and loop back towards the dash but i may be wrong its been over a 100 + temps the last 5 days finally got a break today 93 and hopfully cooler this weekend
may have to write this one up complete trailer plug diagnostic how to .... :suicide::crackup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'm getting a bit misled by the narrative with no punctuation, but it sounds like fuse 42 has power to BOTH sides when plugged in well, so the marker light power is there, and goes missing on the way to the trailer plug. If this is true, then there IS a final connector towards the front of the vehicle. For some odd reason, the marker light wire is harnessed to the front to be grouped in with the trailer brake wiring in the chassis harness, by way of connector C101 to the passenger side of the FRONT fuse block. Pin B12. This connector could have gone intermittent.

In extreme circumstances like an upcoming trip, just tap a wire onto the trailer connector harness near ther trailer receptacle, and use an "add a fuse" tap to steal power from any of the other park lamp feeds, rear fuses 37, 17, or 14.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Grounding thru the hitch is to unreliable. A ground wire with a solid connection is needed.IMHO.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting a bit misled by the narrative with no punctuation, but it sounds like fuse 42 has power to BOTH sides when plugged in well, so the marker light power is there, and goes missing on the way to the trailer plug. If this is true, then there IS a final connector towards the front of the vehicle. For some odd reason, the marker light wire is harnessed to the front to be grouped in with the trailer brake wiring in the chassis harness, by way of connector C101 to the passenger side of the FRONT fuse block. Pin B12. This connector could have gone intermittent.

In extreme circumstances like an upcoming trip, just tap a wire onto the trailer connector harness near ther trailer receptacle, and use an "add a fuse" tap to steal power from any of the other park lamp feeds, rear fuses 37, 17, or 14.
thank you roadie, sorry about the punctuation, but yes BOTH sides of the fuse has power when it is plugged in "well" but the power goes amiss at the trailer plug in the rear of the vehicle. i will check to see if in fact it has gone intermittent in the engine compartment fuse block at the connector.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
thank you roadie, sorry about the punctuation, but yes BOTH sides of the fuse has power when it is plugged in "well" but the power goes amiss at the trailer plug in the rear of the vehicle. i will check to see if in fact it has gone intermittent in the engine compartment fuse block at the connector.
Before we get too far off track here, let's make sure we know what we are talking about.

When a fuse is plugged in, and the fuse is good, power on the line side of a fuse is seen on the load side of a fuse. The fuse is a sold connector after all. The only time you will nor see power on both sides of a fuse is when the fuse is open (blown).

As I said, in an earlier post, the wire colour is brown. If the brown wire goes forward, it's so that the complete collection of wires can be assembled before they head rearward, to the trail connector.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump :bonk:
sorry no update yet having to work this week will update next available day off

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

:thxthanks roadie for your assistance it was in fact the brown wire (trailer marker lights) had gone intermittant at the connector next to the engine compartment fuse block atleast gm kept the wire colors consistant
and thanks to all for your input :tiphat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts