Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to post up a couple quick pics as I'm dodging work right now :D:D:D

I would've kind of liked them to stick out a tad further, but all in all well constructed and sturdy as :x We'll see how the rocks up in NorCal like 'em next week :woot: :woohoo:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
:drool

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend? Seemed like a quick turn around!

Any pictures of the way it mounts to the frame?

On the same topic.... I was watching Trucks! over the weekend and they had an old Cherokee they turned into a dual purpose rig... the Cherokee was unibody, so they welded their rock sliders directly to the body at the rockers... I thought that was interesting. I guess that's really the only way for unibodys...

Sorry, no close-ups...

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get some pics at lunch of the mounting to the vehicle. The tubing was welded to a square plate (roughly 5x5") and then welded all the way around directly to the frame.

Total cost was a tad more than we discussed, but it was directly related to the cost of the material. He ended up using chromoly (sp?) stock, the super strong seemless kind, since they had it readily available and it would've taken 1-2 days additional to get in other stock. Time was a factor here as I needed the truck back to finish up some other small projects befor Saturday :cool:

Total fab/install price was 550.

I'll probably end up putting some skate deck tape on the top for some traction. Otherwise, I'm really digging the 'natural' color. Since it's chromoly, keeping rust off it is pretty easy w/ wd40 or the like!

Oh, also some news on the bumper front, but that is worth of another thread.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the Cherokee was unibody, so they welded their rock sliders directly to the body at the rockers... I thought that was interesting. I guess that's really the only way for unibodys...
Many wranglers do that as well. Some even a quick bolt on, no welding needed since it is flat plate all around.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More pics:

Notice in this pic, they installed the rear bar directly under the body rocker panel. This should better protect the underside from foreign objects, not just those that kick up on the sides :)

:drool

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
That looks awesome! What size tubing is that?

The one thing I see is that the first picture would be unacceptable around here... Where there's ~1" of weld missing on the top, the salt-water would get down into there and rot the plate and frame from the inside out... You may not have much of an issue from it, though...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Those look well-proportioned to me, but like a kid with growing feet, you might bang them into things for a while until you get used to them being there.

Those tires will probably see their last expedition this time. But if he loses traction, the Roadie's always ready with a winch or a strap. The other very good news is that we BOTH have 6X5.5" wheels, so we can use each other's spares. Even if his tires are an inch taller than mine. :sadcry:

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You getting some new tires before your trip? They look a little bare...
Oh yes, this is the first item on my list upon getting the truck back. Calls are already in progress, wheelin' and dealin' time :)

The welds look very purdy though... whoever did them knew their way around a welder... :thumbsup:
Indeed. I meant to snap some pics of the sand cars/buggies they are actively working on in the shop. Quality stuff!

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those look well-proportioned to me, but like a kid with growing feet, you might bang them into things for a while until you get used to them being there.
lol, I bet. Just getting out of the truck now is a tad bit different :dielaugh:

The other very good news is that we BOTH have 6X5.5" wheels, so we can use each other's spares. Even if his tires are an inch taller than mine. :sadcry:
Very true, a good plus! I recently added another tire to my arsenal, but without the rear bumper for the trip, no room to carry it :duh: Well, at least I'll have it for the next go around and new tread on all my shoes for the trip.

Based upon your previous trip and tire mutilation, I'll be stocking up on tire plugs before hand :hopeless:hahano:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You're getting new ones NOW? Oh-oh. I'm in trouble now. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Procomp Xtreme MTs. Buy 3 or 4, get one free right now. Even Evans tire (my favorite chain down here) can get ProComps.

·
3,700 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Selling a dozen skid plates means the vendors are FIGHTING over the massive trailvoy market?

If Total Chaos makes anything for us I think I want Uniball upper control arms first. Do they do one-off customs?

·
3,700 Posts
Selling a dozen skid plates means the vendors are FIGHTING over the massive trailvoy market?

If Total Chaos makes anything for us I think I want Uniball upper control arms first. Do they do one-off customs?
Not hardly... Those are for the Tacoma...

If somebody's going to make them, that's great, have at it... I suspect, though, that if they charge $125 for something they sell god knows how many of, that I don't want to know what they'd charge for (5) of them...

Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts