Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We are new to the SUV world because minivans and automatic transmissions do not play well together. After 2 different vans and three different transmissions it was time for a change. We've had the TB for about a week and really like it so far. It rides really nice,and fits all three kids and their stuff. Our particular TB is a 2005 EXT 4wd LS 1SB with the 4200 Vortec I6, and 3.42 rear. We also have the Sun, Sound, and entertainment package with the DVD system instead of the sunroof. The kids really love the DVD and my wife and I have been listening to the XM radio alot.

After our first week we have noticed a few things that we would like to improve though. First is MPG we got 17 on the first tank in a mix of city and highway. Are there ways to improve this a little? Second is power, I know it's supposed to have 275 HP, but its not real evident when we're driving. It seems to take a lot of gas pedal to get it moving. Are there ways of improving this without hurting MPG to badly. Third is visability out of the rear, it's not very good. Has anyone added one of those aftermarket backup sensor?

Sorry for all of the questions, but we really like the TB and want it to be the best it can be. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,786 Posts
I agree. The I6 should never be in the EXT version. If it is, I would go with at least a 3.73 axle, not the 3.42. The 5.3 V8 would probably be better suited for the EXT and have the ability to do many more performance mods than the I6.

I wish I could get 17mpg out of my 04 TB LS with the 3.42. The last tank I got was close to 17 mpg, the best I have gotten since I got it in late 04.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,786 Posts
GraystoneLS said:
Hi All,

We are new to the SUV world because minivans and automatic transmissions do not play well together. After 2 different vans and three different transmissions it was time for a change. We've had the TB for about a week and really like it so far. It rides really nice,and fits all three kids and their stuff. Our particular TB is a 2005 EXT 4wd LS 1SB with the 4200 Vortec I6, and 3.42 rear. We also have the Sun, Sound, and entertainment package with the DVD system instead of the sunroof. The kids really love the DVD and my wife and I have been listening to the XM radio alot.

After our first week we have noticed a few things that we would like to improve though. First is MPG we got 17 on the first tank in a mix of city and highway. Are there ways to improve this a little? Second is power, I know it's supposed to have 275 HP, but its not real evident when we're driving. It seems to take a lot of gas pedal to get it moving. Are there ways of improving this without hurting MPG to badly. Third is visability out of the rear, it's not very good. Has anyone added one of those aftermarket backup sensor?

Sorry for all of the questions, but we really like the TB and want it to be the best it can be. Thanks in advance for your help.
By the way, welcome. Noticed your ID is GraystoneLS, does that mean you have a graystone TB? That is a nice color and would have considered it if it was available in 04. Haven't seen many pictures of that color. Enjoy your TB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!

I will look into the K&N filters. Do you mean the K&N OEM drop ins or their intake kits?

I tried to find a 5.3 TB to compare the performance to the I6 but they are very scarce around here. I am also a little warry of the 5.3 because I think this year is the first year for the displacement on demand feature on it.

And yes our TB is the Graystone Metallic color, we really like it and have not seen another one like it in the area. I'll try to post a picture below. Hope it works.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The 5.3 pulls the EXT a lot better than the I6 and the engine works a lot less. I averaged 18-19 on the highway with my V-8 4X4.

K&N has some drawbacks such has they allow more junk by them. You'll probably never recover the costs of any gas saving mods.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
145 Posts
Graystone,

You have almost the identical vehicle to mine (actually my wife's). I picked up our Graystone Metallic LT EXT last Wed (5/11). The only difference it sounds like is ours is an LT with the V8. I wanted the 3.42 but could only locate the 3.73. We turned in our 2003 Bravada on a lease pull ahead deal. I have been running about 15.5 mpg (only 600 miles on it so far). My Bravada was able to get 19 mpg pretty easily.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,311 Posts
Nice ride, i have never got into the boards they put on there because it sits pretty low as it is....

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have an 04 EXT with the I-6 (bangs head) in Dark Spiral Grey Metallic. Damn dealer only had I-6s, and of course the salesman said that people were "very satisfied with the 6 cyl EXT and it gets better gas mileage." Jerk. But anyway, I really like the graystone color. It looks to be between Pewter and my TB's color. Would probably be my choice if I were to buy another. Good job.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jman,
Not sure if you were responding to GraystoneLS or me. Either way I really like it. My wife misses the "cushy" simulated wood from the Bravada. I like the extra room of the third row.

BlackIce,
I really didn't want the running boards either but they came on the truck. On the upside, my 5 & 7 year olds can get in and out easier so I'll probably keep them on for a while.

GraystoneLS,
I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to put up a few more pics of the Graystone color. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
GroundChuck, that's cool I'm glad you were able to post pictures, I still can't get it to work right. I guess I'm computer challenged.

So far we still really like the TB, unfortunately I almost never get to drive it because my wife is always taking it. With all the long car trips we will be making this summer the DVD system will be a lifesaver.

FattyTBEXT: we got the same story from all the dealers we went to as well. None of them had any V8's and they said they were not ordering any either because their customers were happy with the I6's. One went as far to say if I wanted a V8 I should be looking at the Tahoe instead. That dude lost a sale.

·
Registered
145 Posts
SlammedLTZ,
Yes I did debadge it. There are a few more pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
477 Posts
Nice lookin' vehicles...I have an '04 T/B Ext LS. Unfortunately, got in a fairly big collision with it in March of this year. I was told it possibly had frame damage. At 4,400 miles, I was ready to trade it in. I had "zero'd in" on a 2005 Ext LT - Silverstone V-8, waiting for damage confirmation. I bought my '04 with an I-6... figured, "Hell!...thousands of people are drivin' I-6s, can't be all that bad... The I-6 is "spirited". but with the extra weight of an extended chassis, it "loses breath" fast. I simply miss V-8 "grunt".
In through the body shop repair, I learned there was no frame damage, so keeping it was O.K. (the lack of a larger car payment was also O.K. with me). During these repairs, I purchased the '05 body side moldings, four paintable door handles and the paintable grill bar. During the painting process, everything got color-keyed and installed. I also debadged the vehicle. I am lovin' the "smooth" look. A Hotchkis rear sway bar is on order ((I was told new front bushings are in development for the '04 & newer vehicles.) The '04 & older vehicle have a chamfered front sway bar bushing. Following that, the "turn signal" mirrors and possibly an Airaid air intake.

·
Registered
145 Posts
SlammedLTZ,
Yes I am digging the fact that the '05s have no name on the side moldings. The only thing left for me to remove is the bowtie on the front. I just have not figured out what (grille) I'd like to put in its place.

04TBEXT,
Sorry to hear your truck wasn't totaled ;) . Sounds like you're getting it dialed in pretty nicely though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts