Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the G80 has been covered ad nauseum here, but I cannot find the answer to my specific questions.

I do NOT have a G80 in my trailblazer, but I want to have one added in. I went to the dealership and they told me that I needed the G80 AND a different carrier. Both about $600 plus "alot of labor" totaling about $2500. I said "no thanks" and walked away. :hissy:

But after that, I started looking around and what *exactly* do I need to purchase to have someone install it. I called around and found a good driveline shop that will install a prepurchased locker in my TB for $150. If I want to keep to the stock feel of the vehicle as much as possible, I was thinking the G80 locker. I have a V8 SWB, so I have the 8.6" housing.

My question is this: What do I need to get to install the G80 into my TB that has no G80 and is an open carrier? and what can I expect to pay for these items? :confused: I have seen some threads that seem to indicate that the G80 can just be slid in, and then others that say a new carrier is needed as well as a few other parts.

TIA !

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
I cant remember the name of the site but it list all the different junk yards. I found an Envoy with G80 for $150, It took 3 of us about 3-4 hours to swap my rear diff. completely.

Things you'll have to look for is the prop. gear ratio, and the size which you already know is 8.6.

I'll try to look up the website for you later.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you say "swap", do you mean that the guts of the pumpkin come out and the new guts go in as simple as that?

if I *had* to buy a new G80, does the package come with all the parts/pieces necessary to do the "swap" as you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I believe he is swapping the entire rear end as that is what most people do. Much easier and cheaper for the do it yourselfer in the long run.

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
72 Posts
I believe he is swapping the entire rear end as that is what most people do. Much easier and cheaper for the do it yourselfer in the long run.
:iagree:

I recently replaced my rear end gears. Bought some 3.73 w/ G80 I just gutted the pumpkin and replaced everything. Got my stuff out of a 2005 envoy in a wrecking yard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts