Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
I think I have a manifold gasket leak as I have that exhaust tick-tick-tick noise but no crack in the manifold. So I just leave it alone, so it leaks a little bit, oh well :p

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
249 Posts
I think I have a manifold gasket leak as I have that exhaust tick-tick-tick noise but no crack in the manifold. So I just leave it alone, so it leaks a little bit, oh well :p
Probably like mine was, manifold ok but rear bolts broken causing leak past gasket...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
But I think even with that, it will effect the O2 sensor and possibly lead to a clogged cat.?:undecided

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
16 Posts
Manifold swap...

Tomorrow is my day. I will be swapping out my exhaust manifold with a fresh one. It has a nasty leak-like sound. My mechanic can see where the gasket is worn anyway. It's been running like this for a while. They are only charging $500 for the work, plus I have a $50 coupon, yay!

I really want this to work out for me and my 2002 TB. She has almost 197k miles on it. It has a custom intake straight to the throttle body. While I am at the shop, if I can afford to do it, I may get a Flowmaster 44 put on and remove the resonator, just for a little added excitement.

I have other little fun noises that come and go and I will address those later, but my exhaust manifold was a big priority for me and way overdue.

By the way, thanks for the great site! It has been a wonder of a resource for me and helping me fall more in love with my TB! May she ride on!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
32 Posts
08 TB I6 here. Bought almost new in 09 ( really low miles!)

My family and I are on a trip 6 hours from home, truck ran great all the way down and for 5 of the last 7 days. started it up this morning and it was LOUD !

I crawled all over and under the TB looking for it.

FInally was able to get it jacked up, ( turned the wheel to the left) crawled under the passenger side, moved the plastic/rubber well guard and shined a light up underneath the heat shield.

there it was, just like the first PIC, a 4-5" crack

NOOOOOO

dealer price for the Manifold was 176 + tax+ shipping, and more money for new bolts and gaskets. even better is they can not get parts for another week they said !

My trouble is, I am OUT OF STATE, 6 hours from home, and not sure what tools I need for this particular job. I can do it myself I am sure, as long as nothing goes WRONG ( ya right!) but if something does go wrong, we are stranded ( cant drive it like that, RIGHT?)

two different dealers quoted over $1100 each just to R&R, and that is ONLY IF nothing breaks ( wtf) then they add on more!

any help can be real useful right now, typing this from a phone sucks too !

So much for a family vacation !

Thanks !

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
9 Posts
two different dealers quoted over $1100 each just to R&R, and that is ONLY IF nothing breaks ( wtf) then they add on more!
It is unlikely that none of the studs will break. But $1100 is about double what I paid my GM dealer last summer. That's after they upped their quote after breaking 4 studs. I think they know you're in a bind being away from home and are taking advantage of you. Maybe another dealer who thinks you're a longer term visitor and not desperate might give a fair price.

I'm surprised it came on so quick, did you splash through water?

·
Registered
32 Posts
no water, sand, mud or ANYTHING ! this is my wife's truck and she BABIES it!

lowest quote I can get back at home ( if we risk the drive) is $850 and 2 weeks out for parts and work.

something to do with the CRISIS in Japan causing issues for GM, etc etc

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
150 Posts
temp fix

Some people have used furnace cement as a temp fix. That may make this work until you can get home to get the proper parts.

I did this job myself in about 3 hours. I was lucky, none of my bolts broke.

If you hare somewhat handy with a wrench, you can do this your self.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Do the temp fix, get home, order the dorman replacement manifold from rockauto.com, and then have a reputable, non-ripoff shop install it for you if you don't want to try it yourself.

If/when mine cracks, I'm not sure if I want to try and tackle it myself or not given the risk of busted manifold bolts :ugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, I will give it a try, as we dont have the extra funds to stay here any longer....lol

will let y'all know how it goes !

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
02-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Tomorrow morning I am hitting the bolts with heat/cold/heat/cold and more penetrating oil before I start trying to loosen them.

Wish me luck... I really don't want to snap any of these bolt heads off. :no::no:

I'll post pics later on.
So whatever happened with this manifold job?

·
Registered
32 Posts
well, I owe an insane thanks to SOLOMON Chevrolet in DOTHAN, AL !!! and to Nikki at GM customer care!

we babied the TB back home, called around for parts, pricing, labor, etc.

I called GM customer service, explained what happened and they scheduled an appointment for us.

I get there, they slide me right in the shop, come back with an estimate 20 minutes later.

Since I called GM CS line they had to call them back with the results...

5 minutes later the Service Manager comes out, takes the estimate and says they are covering it 100% and if they could start right away.

asked all my usual questions about what if's, was told not to worry about it, it will be handled 100%.

5 hours later I get the call to come pick it up !

Almost the entire bottom ring was rotted and a 4" vertical crack going up the pipe as well.

it looked worse than this !

they gave me entire copies of everything, and it has a limited warranty on the parts/labor ( 90 days I think?) on the paperwork. they even replaced 3 studs that they said were not worth putting back in.

I can not say enough thanks about this dealership or the customer service experience I had.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Indeed, it is quite nice to have a positive STEALERSHIP experience!

truck is running top notch, and just realized they even washed the truck and rotated the tires too! ( which was due anyway)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
18 Posts
I hate to have my first forum post be an "oh yeah, me too" but it is.

Had a Check Engine Light, code was Bank1 O2 Sensor.
Could not get O2 Sensor out with heat shield on, remove shield.
Cracked Manifold. Figures, Search on net, find forum, realize issues.
Get O2 Sensor out with pipe wrench, put in new O2 Sensor, order new parts.
Gmpartsdirect.com
Manifold - 88890560 - $133.65
Manifold Gasket - 88890561 - $9.02
Downpipe Dounut - 15167765 - $12.52
Shipping - $32.59
Total - $187.78

Now I will deal with bolt breakage as it happens. Lets hope at 107,000 miles they wont (who am I kidding?).

Let's hope this fixes the O2 Sensor issue, and the Check Engine Light goes off....

The real worry, is shift problems, after the light came on, if you accelerate in ANY gear, under WOT, it climbs to like 5k rpm, never shifts....if you back off the throttle it will shift. Replace what it indicates and move on.

Lets hope that fixes the problem, as the Computer is the problem not know what is going on (who am I kidding?).

Any ideas otherwise?

Mines okay now but if I ever do have any problems did they give any warranty on the new one and if they what kind of warranty did they give?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Cracked Exhaust Manifold 2008 TB LT - Chev Design?

I love my Trailblazer LT. Purchased new in January 2008 and now have 48k miles. Mostly highway driving. Heard what sounded like a bad muffler when starting the vehicle yesterday afternoon. Noise reduced as engine warmed up but still remained. Seemed to be coming from passenger side. Stopped at dealer this AM and they confirmed cracked exhaust manifold. How does one of these exhaust manifolds simply crack under normal operating conditions? And at 48k with a vehicle that is regularly dealer maintained?
Taking my baby to the dealer Wednesday for repairs. What should I be paying for this? I don't know how to wrench other than simple stuff like changing oil.
Any thoughts as to whether this is a known problem?
thanks for your thoughts. Bill

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Given there is an entire thread or two dedicated to this issue, this one that you posted in being one of them, I'd say yes, it is a known common problem :p

Seems to be hit and miss on which ones crack and which ones don't. Mine hasn't yet on my 2002 with 137k miles, and it sure looks original (though I think I have a leak around the gasket someplace). Others like yourself have them crack early on. It's a design flaw in the manifold, it's weak.

For cost, I don't know... being an 08 and 48k miles I would think there is a chance it may be covered under warranty? Can't say for sure as I've never owned a vehicle new enough to have a warranty.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
I just joined the 'cracked manifold' club! 1/8" crack most of the way around the manifold.:worried: Just got off the phone with the GM dealer....:woot: for warranty!! Just for curiosity I phoned up a mechanic's shop nearby for a price. Labor from $300 to several thousand depending one whether or not bolts break.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm really suspecting a defective manufacturing process, too fast in the casting, and not taking time for proper annealing during cool down to relieve stresses in the casting. You think GM would ever 'fess up to that and do the right thing by picking up some if not all of the replacement cost? :dielaugh:

81 - 100 of 121 Posts