Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
9 Posts
Replaced the mainifold

Well the manifold has been replaced. The back bolt broke (of course). I was not able to drill it out so I am rolling with out it. Anyone else do this? What was your experience. Right now life is good no leak and quite again. Also how can I know for sure the CAT is not plugged up causing this to crack in the first place. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Being in Kuwait I have not place to do my own work so rather than try to save a buck going to some Haji garage where the mechanic does not speak very much English I go to a local GM dealer. To replace the cracked manifold and of course they broke bolts in removing the old one, cost me around 700 dollars to replace. Then it started throwing DTC's P0171 and P0172 and of course the vehicle ran with greatly reduced power. I took it back to the dealer and they diagnosed it to the Cat. Rather than spending big bucks to replace it, I agreed to have them send it out and have it cleaned or whatever they did. Anyway, it runs great now so if I could only get it to run cooler I would be happy. With the mods I have done and the tune, it will get up to 140 MPH fairly easy but the temp goes way up when I do. I'm running E-fans so that really helps. The afternoon temps here are around 115 F on the drive back home.
If you want it to run cooler you might want to look into a tranny cooler (LARGE) and a engine oil cooler(ALSO LARGE) as well. Get the heat out before the coolant trys to get rid of it through the radiator.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tranny Oil Cooler

Thanks, I installed the HP Tuners plug and play aux tranny cooler and that helped keep the trans oil temps way down. I use an Aeroforce Scangauge so am able to monitor the temps among other things. Using the Aux cooler, it dropped my oil temps down by an average of 25 degrees. I also run a TCI deep pan but did not notice any difference there but I'm sure it helps with the cooling fins on the pan and it's lower into the air stream. It still gets damned hot around here. If I could fit a larger radiator I know that would help. With the A/C on a lot of super hot air flows from the condenser through the radiator. I open for suggestions that may help.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
You might be in the wrong part of the world, but can you find anybody that can build a copper 3 channel radiator? I did that in Las Vegas and really cooled down my Ranger.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Curious

By any chance did u do it while the engine was hot? Because i can almost certainly say you may not have had that problem if the engine was at operating temp due to the heat it helps the bolts come out just a little bit easier.. Anyway sorry for your luck hope it turns out for the better..:tiphat

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
9 Posts
Well the manifold has been replaced. The back bolt broke (of course). I was not able to drill it out so I am rolling with out it. Anyone else do this? What was your experience. Right now life is good no leak and quite again. Also how can I know for sure the CAT is not plugged up causing this to crack in the first place. Thanks for any input
Ya I had it warm not hot, I cracked them loose Friday night. Then Saturday I went to work on em. The back one my have been broken before I wrenched it. It was surprisingly easy to loose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
mine cracked I beleive form a plugged cat or the ac dripping down onto it

·
Banned
17 Posts
mine cracked I beleive form a plugged cat or the ac dripping down onto it
I will sell you a manifold from GMPArts direct, with gasket and exhaust dount for $150 shipped....as gmparts direct sent me two. Can put on Ebay if you want.

Also, AC dripping on it will not crack it, it is more than likely a plugged CAT. I got a direct WALKER bolt in replacement CAT for <300 at Oriley Auto Parts. You do have to remove the exhaust hanger that is secured under the TRANNY Bracket...once you do that, it is easy to get out from the bottom.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
I broke two bolts getting my cracked manifold out. I tried everything lots of heat, penetrating oil, maybe not enough patience..but man I spent hours going back and forth on these bolts.
I was able to drill and retap the middle bolt o.k. But the very back one was tough. Best I could do was tap it at 1/4-20 due to the slight angle I was going in at. By the way those 90 degree drills on sale at canadian tire are awesome.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
My manifold has a crack in it somewhere, it only makes a little bit of noise when its cold. Its been like this for 2 years now. With 115,000 miles on it, I wonder if I shouldnt just let it go until the engine craps out. I'd hate to replace the manifold, deal with a bunch of broken bolts in the head, have to take the head off.... might as well just rebuild the block if Im going to have the head off and have that rebuilt. Sounds like it can turn into a hot mess REAL fast. :crazy:

·
Banned
17 Posts
My manifold has a crack in it somewhere, it only makes a little bit of noise when its cold. Its been like this for 2 years now. With 115,000 miles on it, I wonder if I shouldnt just let it go until the engine craps out. I'd hate to replace the manifold, deal with a bunch of broken bolts in the head, have to take the head off.... might as well just rebuild the block if Im going to have the head off and have that rebuilt. Sounds like it can turn into a hot mess REAL fast. :crazy:
Ok, so you manifold is cracked. I take you mean EXHAUST and not INTAKE. If you mean Intake then disregard. If it is the Exhaust, then the rest of your worries are null.

And for all those that have broken bolts, I left my TB sitting for almost 36hrs, sprayed penetrating oil on it 4 times, and had no issues. Maybe you cant get in a hurry. /shrug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cracked Manifold

This forum is really great. Great information on the TB! I also have a cracked manifold. It also is occasionally slugglish when I am accelerating and it then surges and is normal. I'm wondering based on all of the replies on this site if I'm going to have the manifold replaced should I also have the CAT replaced? I haven't seen any codes that would lead me to believe it's bad but I would hate to have the manifold replaced and leave a plugged CAT in it just to have it all happen again. Suggestions?

·
Banned
17 Posts
I have a manifold that was double ordered for my 2004 TB. I will sell it for $150 with bottom dounut and manifold gasket. was $187 shipped from GMPartsdirect.

Also, you have a plugged cat, you will need to replace that. I would try the Walker direct bolt in replacement, Try Oriley's first...like 280.

Let me know if you want that manifold, it is new in the box from GMParts direct.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
219 Posts
I have a manifold that was double ordered for my 2004 TB. I will sell it for $150 with bottom dounut and manifold gasket. was $187 shipped from GMPartsdirect.

Also, you have a plugged cat, you will need to replace that. I would try the Walker direct bolt in replacement, Try Oriley's first...like 280.

Let me know if you want that manifold, it is new in the box from GMParts direct.
Literally, 25% of your posts are attempts to advertise/sell these parts. STOP. Put them in the classifieds section, thats what it is there for.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Literally, 25% of your posts are attempts to advertise/sell these parts. STOP. Put them in the classifieds section, thats what it is there for.
This tread has literally hundreds of posts that are no more than chatter. The one thin I can say is my post are at least coherent, concise and have useful information. This forum is filled with useless nonsense, me too's, yeah me also, I want that and no real collection of good information. There are minimal How-To's, all be it those are very good. It pains me to see such a useless forum that makes its money on sponsors and ads, over having any real information. I guess this is just the way it progresses as 90% of the people on the planet can't turn a wrench to save their lives. They expect everyone to help them with mods and want everything to be plug and play.

Good luck with that, and good luck with a forum that is riddled with no more than another retard bin on the internet.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
18 Posts
Another cracked manifold owner

Well add my cracked manifold to the long list of other owners. I was wondering, before I start tearing it apart, if anyone has checked if the GM powertrain warranty covers it or the cat. I noticed today reduced power upon acceleration... must be the cat.

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
If its cracked and sucking in air - the O2 sensor will sense a lean condition and rich the fuel up causing lose of power. If its really too rich it could overheat the converter.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts