Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
I have lurked around quite a bit on this site. There is definitely a wealth of info here. Unfortunately I didn't want to make my first post about an issue of mine, but here it goes. I have been suffering from the battery not charging message and the battery light being on.
Here are the things I have addresses: Installed new belt, replaced alternator with new/refurb (didn't fix issue), tested old alternator at O'reilly's (tested good) - I reinstalled the old alternator back into vehicle, had battery tested (fine), Tested continuity between alternator pigtail and pcm (tested fine), ended up replacing pigtail with new plug - in case old contacts were worn out.
Before I replaced the old plug, I found a break in the red wire and resoldered the wire (pretty sure I broke it while fiddling with it), it worked for about half a day then stopped again. When I replaced the plug, it worked again for a short bit then stopped working again. Today, when I went out to do some more troubleshooting, I started it up just for grins to see if it would work. It didn't. I got the same battery not charging message. I revved the engine just to see, the voltage indicator popped back to 14.6ish. Its getting kind of frustrating trying to figure out the issue. I'm tempted to get a reprogrammed pcm to see if my pcm is the issue. Possibly of note is the fact it seems to keep doing it when it's frigid out. It is about 5 degrees out today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks again

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
Since you have eliminated most of the usual suspects, the instrument cluster and PCM are left. The PCM sends the Battery status signal to the cluster over the data bus. If you have determined that the battery voltage is correct (if you an Auto Zone nearby, you might want get the charging system verified), then it can only be the PCM or cluster. Either one is not easy to diagnose without special test equipment.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Freddyboy! If it is currently charging I can probably drive it over to the nearest Autozone and get it checked. Could be a good reason to get an updated PCM ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts