Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while driving for no apparent reason the tailgate ajar alarm started going off, door hasnt been opened in months well since winter started. I've tried opening and closing etc., and it still continues to go off. I tried opening the roof and rolling down the rear window but now my rear window is stuck rolled down. so annoying, I cant find out any information. i've searched everywhere but no one seems to be having the same problem as I am having. please help, is there perhaps a way to "fool" the car into thinking the door is closed so the "tailgate ajar" warning ding will stop? my drive to and from work are both 40minute drive and the dinging is really annoying lol.:bonk:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I can look for the schematics if you want to dig into the tailgate and clip a wire, but if you can get into that area you might as well lubricate the latch sensor that's causing the chime.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Yesterday while driving for no apparent reason the tailgate ajar alarm started going off, door hasnt been opened in months well since winter started. I've tried opening and closing etc., and it still continues to go off. I tried opening the roof and rolling down the rear window but now my rear window is stuck rolled down. so annoying, I cant find out any information. i've searched everywhere but no one seems to be having the same problem as I am having. please help, is there perhaps a way to "fool" the car into thinking the door is closed so the "tailgate ajar" warning ding will stop? my drive to and from work are both 40minute drive and the dinging is really annoying lol.:bonk:
I have most of the information that you would need to troublleshoot the tailgate if you wanting to jump in and figure it out. PM me with your email and I will send it out to you

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixing it is preferred, but I just can't seem to figure out if one lathch is causing it or the other, of for that matter if it's both. Nothing I've tried seems to work. Just when i think I figured it out, Im wrong. As of today I can't get it to open like a truck, but it will swing open. The middle pressure switch doesn't do anything, no clicking or motor running.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Fixing it is preferred, but I just can't seem to figure out if one lathch is causing it or the other, of for that matter if it's both. Nothing I've tried seems to work. Just when i think I figured it out, Im wrong. As of today I can't get it to open like a truck, but it will swing open. The middle pressure switch doesn't do anything, no clicking or motor running.
OK perfect It sounds like its the pressure switch coorision issue to me. Search in this site under XUV tailgate. eIowa-o has done a write up on how to rebuild the switches, but I recommend that you replace them with new ones one at a time. I had similar issue to what you describe and it was the pressure switch. Once you pull it off you can see the corrosion bleeding out of the switch. The coorosion shorts out the switch and totally screws the logic in the Body control module.

They are cheap, like 20$ each although you will need to order them. the part number is 15101543. I bought mine online from Crown Cadillac. 17$ plus shipping. Same P/N for both switches.

As I said you could try resetting the body control module by disconnecting the battery for a half hour, however you said that your glass was down so I hesitate to say its completely safe. Alll the sensors, switches and latches are linked by Class II communication and I think that if some parameters are voilated that you might need to have the BCM reflashed at the dealer.

Unless you get that glass in the home position against the roof I would only do the reset as a last resort. Given the situation you may have already reached the breaking point!

I see that you are in Ohio. The Harsh winters screw the pressure switches up as well as the latch sensors. All the misery is worth it. The XUV is the best vehicle ever created:yes:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That it is! I love my XUV!
until the switch arrives, would you know of a way that i could "trick" the car into thinking that the tailgate is up? like disconnecting a wire or a fuse or something? Normally i wouldnt mind, but the dinging every five seconds even with the radio turned up is quite nerve racking :crazy: especially have a 40 minute drive back and forth to work :( The first time that I wish that the car wasnt so darn "smart" LoL :bonk:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
until the switch arrives, would you know of a way that i could "trick" the car into thinking that the tailgate is up? like disconnecting a wire or a fuse or something? Normally i wouldnt mind, but the dinging every five seconds even with the radio turned up is quite nerve racking :crazy: especially have a 40 minute drive back and forth to work :( The first time that I wish that the car wasnt so darn "smart" LoL :bonk:
if you have cleaned the latches the only other quick way would be that Body control moduile reset which is about due if the glass is back up

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
I think there is way to lower the tone of it (wear earplugs, turn up your favourite music)

Try
Press and hold pushbutton 6 with ignition on and radio power off

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
I can look for the schematics if you want to dig into the tailgate and clip a wire, but if you can get into that area you might as well lubricate the latch sensor that's causing the chime.
Hey Roadie, can you upload Powerpoint Presentations to the forum? I want to upload my XUV liftgate diagnosis and repair thesis to the forum :eek:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I can convert them to PDF and post them, or for better indexing and searchability, could you just make one big honking post with the pics attached?

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
I can convert them to PDF and post them, or for better indexing and searchability, could you just make one big honking post with the pics attached?
I will break it down its a 3 Meg file though!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That's a classic issue if you don't resample the pictures in the Powerpoint to reduce their size. Why don't you just email me the original Powerpoint directly, and I'll fiddle with it. Being between jobs is almost as cool as being retired, but with less money to blow.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
9 Posts
Hey Roadie, can you upload Powerpoint Presentations to the forum? I want to upload my XUV liftgate diagnosis and repair thesis to the forum :eek:

My 04 XUV just started doing the same thing.....tailgate ajar.
The top left lock-motor in the tailgate isnt engaging. I can spin it with my finger, and unlock it easily.... I tried to get a new one from a local salvage yard but they would only sell the enire tailgate.....$600!
Any idea for a parts :confused: source????

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
3 Posts
Same +1 I think

I am definitely having the same issue with the tailgate ajar issue. But now my gauges seem to be cutting off as well. It helps with the annoying beeping but now I have no idea how fast I am going or anything. All gauges are dead. On top of that I think because I am having some serious electrical issues there is a bleeding effect somewhere and my battery keeps dying. Any ideas? I am still looking around to see what I can find. Just thought I would post to say I am another victim of this annoying issue. :bonk:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
3 Posts
So the ignition switch replacement didn't work. So now I am going to replace the battery next. Or the cable ends that connect to the battery because I am starting to think that might be the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts