Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Truck started making an annoying sound a week or two ago and I thought it was the blower. After finally deciding to check it out, I discovered it's actually not the blower making the noise. I'm 85% sure it's some component jammed way up in the dash that I have no idea what is.

It looks like some module next to the cabin air filter.

Apparently I cannot post pictures, changing fan speed makes no difference. Pushing recirculate button causes noise to change and get worse. Anything I can find on a recirculation actuator they are saying it is in a different location. I'm at a bit of a loss.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,470 Posts
If it is the recirculator actuator, it is one of the worst to replace, it is buried deep in the dash. To replace it, the dash needs to come out.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
78 Posts
Indeed that is very likely the issue but if it is, before you do anything else. I would remove the fuse in the fuse panel under the back seat that controls the climate control system. Can't think of the fuse name but this resets the climate control system causing all actuators to cycle. It's worth a try and cost you nothing.

I'm sure the first poster who replied knows what fuse this is. Assuming you have the auto climate system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,470 Posts
Yes, running the recalibration may help, but if it is clicking, that usually means the internal gear has broken.

Procedure;
1) key off, pull fuse #36 & 39 in the rear fuse box.
2) wait about 90 seconds, then put fuses back in.
3) turn key to ON position (not Start), don't touch any HVAC controls for at least 90 seconds while calibration runs. Turn key off.
4) start truck and check for noise and operation of HVAC system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuse 36 was the one that made the sound go away but I had no control over which vents were open, the truck is actually at the shop right now because my trans is acting up and my oil pressure is very sad, and have had no luck in figuring out why. I will try the reset thing when I get it back. Thanks for your help guys,

Any idea what the recirulating actuator is actually called? I've been planning on putting some speakers in the dash so maybe I will just do both so I only have to take the dash off once. :thx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is called Recirculator Actuator; AC Delco# 15-73597, GM# 89018677
Much thanks, not looking forward to tearing apart the dash to get to the thing, but I will have to do that in the near future.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
34 Posts
clicking noise and hvac actuators

Well, I decided today to fix that annoying actuator on my 2004 trailblazer. After watching countless videos on you tube and reading posts here, i decided it was time to fix the problem. (actually, i think the fix fixed me.) For anyone who says its not too difficult, i really would hate to see what you call difficult. I completely dismantled my dash, removed the ducting, and commenced changing the mode actuator. First, i can't believe how near impossible it was to remove and replace, and second, i actually got it done, I used to work on B52's and have been in some really tight places, but nothing compared to this. Originally I had asked the mechanic i go to if he wanted to do it, he said flat no. I have pictures of the dash for anyone's reference but it won't let me post them. :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts